Next Design for Patell Manufacturing's 1.125" Rocket Kit Line

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Design would you like to see next in Patell Manufacturing's 1.125" Kit Line?

• HV Arcas Semi-Scale

• Nike Smoke Semi-Scale

• Tube Fin

• Astrobee-D

• Other (please reply with idea)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is something that I have considered, but the boat tail would be very minimal and not very pronounced. The nosecone would also be at risk of being very fragile due to the high Length : Diameter and small diameter at the tip. PLA is actually easy to glue back together with CA, though.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I guess maybe it's best to scratch-build one.
Thanks,

Last edited:
At 24mm, IMO, you need to check each candidate for the required BT length. I don't think you will want much shorter of a tube than is on the Mach Buster. I am not a scale stickler and lengths could be added to the body to help motors fit and aid stability. Just my opinion.

Note to self: add nose weight and enough motor to avoid a scale trajectory.

Power and nose weight don't solve all yer problems, but knocking off 95% percent of them ain't bad!:)

The Pershing kit might have too high of the "idiot factor" at that size. Too funny looking to be widely accepted with oversized rear fins.

Power and nose weight don't solve all yer problems, but knocking off 95% percent of them ain't bad!:)

The kit might have too high of the "idiot factor" at that size. Too funny looking to be widely accepted with oversized rear fins.

Stealing this quote.

Stealing this quote.

Just be careful using it around Top Men of Science when trying to get a pad assignment trying to fly something like this:

Beech Satggerwing 2 motors.JPGTrain 6.jpgB 58 3.jpg

Some may chuckle, some may not!

So what's it going be, Dan?
I would love to see another kit from you!! :)
Your MD rocket is really cool!
KEEP IT GOING! :cool: :)
Thanks,

The return of the Mach Buster has been a big hit thus far, but now it's time to branch off and introduce an original / scale design. I'm interested to know what designs pique your interest!

The kit that you all choose will be based on the same tubing as the Mach Buster...1.00" ID, 1.125" OD spiral free XX Phenolic. A 24mm motor mount, kevlar shock cord, and 3D printed shock cord anchor and nose cone will round out the kit. The fin material will be determined by the design chosen, either G10 for flat fins or 3D printed for profiled fins.

I've offered up a few options in a survey as well as an "other" option that I request you post your idea in a reply.

Thanks for your interest!

You know what? I have a great idea!! Make a WAC corporal 2 stage rocket kit! It shouldn't be very difficult to 3D print. And, I think it'll be popular.
Thanks,

You know what? I have a great idea!! Make a WAC corporal 2 stage rocket kit! It shouldn't be very difficult to 3D print. And, I think it'll be popular.
Thanks,

Andrew why don't you add that to your product line?

Andrew why don't you add that to your product line?

It'll take lots of work, It will cost me an arm in the leg to get all of the parts, the parts will take up space, Then I have to test it. I have never flown a 2 stage rocket before, and I have never made a kit, either.
Then, I have to get big boxes for shipping and such. Maybe in a year or so I can do it. And to be completely honest, I'd prefer that my customers give me ideas on what kits they'd like to see from me.
Thanks,

I'm toying with a few options, but these things take time. Between family, work, and the NHL playoffs, spare time is hard to find to dedicate to kit designing and production.

That said, I'm leaning toward a design that is not on the list, nor do I think it has been mentioned. A payload is probable, and looking to incorporate the Raven/Simple Circuit for single/dual deployment.

I'm toying with a few options, but these things take time. Between family, work, and the NHL playoffs, spare time is hard to find to dedicate to kit designing and production.

That said, I'm leaning toward a design that is not on the list, nor do I think it has been mentioned. A payload is probable, and looking to incorporate the Raven/Simple Circuit for single/dual deployment.

I think we all know what you mean, take your time! :)
Thanks,

Please forgive, as I am not a regular customer of kits from most any vendor, but as a designer, I am fairly tied in with quite a few scratch designers here, many of which are pretty old school with their building skills. (some of us actually cut out our own fins and turn our own nose cones). That being said, there's quite a lot of great ideas floating around here that might be something to consider. I'm darn sure I know a few that would love to get their ideas kitted. One place to look for ideas would be last years Summer Build Off Contest.. There were a bunch of really interesting builds in that thread. There will be another one starting up on Memorial Day 5/29/17 and running through to Labor Day weekend.

Another option would be to open a thread for said designers to post their original build threads. That would make the list more concise.
Just food for thought.

If the colored link above didn't work, here is the stretch version.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?134426-Official-Summer-Build-Off-Contest-sign-in-thread

Back