Next Design for Patell Manufacturing's 1.125" Rocket Kit Line

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Design would you like to see next in Patell Manufacturing's 1.125" Kit Line?

• HV Arcas Semi-Scale

• Nike Smoke Semi-Scale

• Tube Fin

• Astrobee-D

• Other (please reply with idea)

Results are only viewable after voting.

patelldp

Reaction score
The return of the Mach Buster has been a big hit thus far, but now it's time to branch off and introduce an original / scale design. I'm interested to know what designs pique your interest!

The kit that you all choose will be based on the same tubing as the Mach Buster...1.00" ID, 1.125" OD spiral free XX Phenolic. A 24mm motor mount, kevlar shock cord, and 3D printed shock cord anchor and nose cone will round out the kit. The fin material will be determined by the design chosen, either G10 for flat fins or 3D printed for profiled fins.

I've offered up a few options in a survey as well as an "other" option that I request you post your idea in a reply.

Thanks for your interest!

Seems like Arcas and Nike Smoke are done to death by everybody. My vote is Astrobee, unless you want to try something less common like a Black Brant III...

Seems like Arcas and Nike Smoke are done to death by everybody. My vote is Astrobee, unless you want to try something less common like a Black Brant III...

They're done due to simplicity, pretty obviously. I agree, it would be cool to introduce a different design.

An X-15? 3D printed side fairings and cockpit? If the fairings are printed so the back end is on the printing platform, there won't be anything that gets printed onto air. The cockpit can be cut in half for printability and since it overlaps with the fairings.

So a size where a D12 isn't underpowered for an Optima? I think you know my vote.

Personally, I would do something epic that is hard to replicate with conventional building. Twisted tube design that spirals up to a nose cone, kudos if you figure out how to make it fly without standard fins. Or how about a hella cool night launch rocket that use prefabed traces for EL lighting like Tron, kudos if you include the EL lights, regulator, and battery pack.

Think out of the box ☺

Personally, I would do something epic that is hard to replicate with conventional building. Twisted tube design that spirals up to a nose cone, kudos if you figure out how to make it fly without standard fins. Or how about a hella cool night launch rocket that use prefabed traces for EL lighting like Tron, kudos if you include the EL lights, regulator, and battery pack.

Think out of the box ☺

Other qualifier is that I need to sell more than one...

I voted tube fin, but now I'm thinking maybe an Honest John. Fiberglass fins and printed nose cone (2 piece, for a small av bay?)

I selected other because I prefer something more than 3FN and some you suggested have already been done by many.

How about a Seawolf or an SA-14 Archer?

Split (dual) fin like the Standard Missile/Archer/Optima. Maybe a Bullpup.

I would vote for Aim-7. My grandfather was an engineer at Raytheon and designed the guidance system for the sparrow III. Not the most stable rocket without that guidance system but still doable.

Dan , I would like to see a small ASP . The extended version with the conical nose used with the Nike booster . BTW , the Estes ps2 smoke would be a good scale booster . You could print up cones , fins , and a interstage . I'd build one .

Eric

Here's what the Arcas components would look like. The depression is for the launch lug, a minimal spacer/standoff will be required for the fore lug.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494264222.555073.jpg

Dan,

How about a saucer? If you really want to make it cool make it a clustered saucer.

Regarding the launch lug depression: I am fitting all my MPR airframes with mini buttons. Having one option that supports them would be nice.

SDI satellite. Should be a piece of cake.

I VOTED OTHER BECAUSE..........

If you put together a Black Brant II, I will buy it! :) I really like those, and no companies make low power Black Brant II's anymore, and honestly I think they would be very popular!
Thanks,

Ahhh, a big nose capable of hold lots of nose weight. A pershing is certainly one of the less common subjects.

I VOTED OTHER BECAUSE..........

If you put together a Black Brant II, I will buy it! :) I really like those, and no companies make low power Black Brant II's anymore, and honestly I think they would be very popular!
Thanks,

This is something that I have considered, but the boat tail would be very minimal and not very pronounced. The nosecone would also be at risk of being very fragile due to the high Length : Diameter and small diameter at the tip. PLA is actually easy to glue back together with CA, though.

Back