Worst Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the Cosmos Mariner. However, I did get one flight out of it that didn't require repairs... out of three...

And I know I have a Dude somewhere around here... 😂

Can't believe people mentioned the Dude. While I don't have one and never will, I love watching them fly. Hilarious.

I bet kids love the Dude and if that gets them interested in other rockets, well, that's good in my book. If you're talking weird rockets from Estes, I have never heard of a good flight on the big, foam SS1. And the hydrogen powered rocket had pretty poor reviews. THAT being said, I'm glad Estes will take risks with non conventional ideas.

We recently had a 3-Dude drag race up at Lucerne involving Cris Erving, KenRico and WarnerR. They actually fly great in calm weather on low thrust F motors. Getting scarce and hard to clone. Much fun was had.

Oh yeah....I probably never though of any kit as "da worst". But some do end up having to be re-purposed. Most of the things people seem to gripe about don't bother me much. Thin tube? A layer of 2oz glass makes it nearly indestructible. Soft balsa? same answer. Coupler too tight? Coat with CA and spin it down. Vac-form parts? Challenge accepted. Bad instructions? I usually don't follow them anyway! Motor mount too small? Muahahahaha what's the biggest that will fit? <evil grin>. Guess I like building and problem solving...YMMV.

I think scratch building is the way to go if you have the tools to do so. I only buy the kits I can't otherwise scratch build because of tools needed etc.

Hey, I've build a lot of scratch stuff with only a hobby knife (or a razor blade knife) and a razor saw. Pretty cheap stuff. And sandpaper of course.

Hey, I've build a lot of scratch stuff with only a hobby knife (or a razor blade knife) and a razor saw. Pretty cheap stuff. And sandpaper of course.

I do the same thing, but I was referring to kits where you have to cut fiber glass or thick wood parts etc. I don't have a bandsaw or drill press ...that sort scratch building, which in those cases I just buy the kit.

I do the same thing, but I was referring to kits where you have to cut fiber glass or thick wood parts etc. I don't have a bandsaw or drill press ...that sort scratch building, which in those cases I just buy the kit.
Fair enough. I would never cut fiberglass but have cut 1/4" fins with a razor knife. That kinda sucked :)

I don't plan on building anything that requires custom laser cutting. But thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind in case my situation changes

Can't believe people mentioned the Dude. While I don't have one and never will, I love watching them fly. Hilarious.

Every year, I get a supply of Rocket Balloons from a clown warehouse in town and bring them to the launch fields. They are give-aways for the kiddos. They usually get a big kick out of them and they are really cheap. I've seen them fly and I've also watched vids of The Dude fly. Can't say there's a lot of difference in flight performance there. My money is on the clown balloons because I wouldn't be caught dead with The Dude in my fleet. Walking up to the launch pad with one of those would feel like I had entered the launch area with my pants down wearing a pair of Spongebob underwear.

Rocket Balloons.jpg

I love SpongeBob, please send all unwanted Dude Estes Rockets to me!

Last edited:
So for those of us who are out of touch.. what is "The Dude"? google images seem to show some sort of mylar contraption?

So for those of us who are out of touch.. what is "The Dude"? google images seem to show some sort of mylar contraption?
Yup, it's a balloon with a plastic framework on the aft end to hold some fins, the motor, and a chute.

The Estes hydrogen-fueled rocket never worked for me. I eventually threw it out never having flown...

The worst kit?
Probably the one for conversion of a sausage to an oddroc.
Oh, wait, that's the Wurst kit.
Never mind.

Back