V2 - Air Frame to Tail Cone issues

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else have problems with the air frame and tail cone not coming together well?
Mine is like sunkin in at the joint and required quit a bit of putty to get acceptable for primer.
I used epoxy for joining the 2 pieces. I did the usual TBII coating of the air frame.
It went together nice, no force needed.
I've never seen this before.

If your talking about the Estes V2,I'll be interested to hear from others as I have 2 kits still sealed in the bag.Should be starting them soon and am wondering the best way to cut the fin slots.I to have new epoxy I bought just for the tailcone and motor mount.Will use TBII for the rest of the build.

Yes, Estes. I should have noted that. I guess I'm too use to building LP to think of anything else.
As for the tail cone slots, it's been about 4-1/2 years since I started this kit.
Looked up on the instruction and it shows a hobby knife to cut out for the fins.
IIRC, that didn't work well for me. I think I used a sanding block and worked my way threw 120, 150, 180 & 220 grits.
I use sticky back and my blocks are pieces of melamine coated particle board. Just scraps from when I had my wood shop.

Something else I have to address. The nose cone is extremely loose. I put a coat of epoxy 1-1/2" down from the top.
I'll sand that until the nose cone fits. I don't think it makes a difference, at least the instructions didn't say so...
But if I would have turned the air frame around it would have probably worked better.

While looking at the instructions, I noticed where the launch lugs go. I will be gluing the bottom one on over the putty.
Not sure I like that idea, but not much I can do about it now. At least the putty grips like crazy glue.
I used the Tamiya White putty I just purchased. I figured that would be better than the basic which I think is gray?
I'll post some pics later when the epoxy and more putty dries enough to handle it.

Last edited:
The tailcone to body tube joint on mine had a larger than expected gap as well. I didn't fill it in all the way because this is also a joint on the actual rocket so I didn't worry about it too much. I moved the launch lug up 5 mm to get it off the joint. My nose cone was actually tight.

I have an older one (probably close to 20 years) It's not a super smooth seam but the real rocket I believe had a bit of a gap at the boat tail to body joint (my Estes Maxi V2 has some details in that area) I couldn't find a good pic on v2rocket.com with a short look though.

Did anybody notice that the quality of build on all the original V2's is pretty rough? What would make the Estes any different. 😁

Anyone else have problems with the air frame and tail cone not coming together well?
Mine is like sunkin in at the joint and required quit a bit of putty to get acceptable for primer.
I used epoxy for joining the 2 pieces. I did the usual TBII coating of the air frame.
It went together nice, no force needed.
I've never seen this before.

My v2 is in the mail now.. I would be interested in seeing a pic of what you experienced, if you took one that is... :)

Back