Featherweight Raven3 accel data?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I had totally forgotten about that concept. I guess that was a battery interface board that fit underneath? These concepts eventually led to the Power Perch.

With the new tracker I'm working on, you shouldn't have to worry about losing more altimeters. I had a few false starts on the design, but last week an encouraging range test makes me more confident that the end result will be pretty awesome.

Oh, so the secret new product is a tracker... Cool!

How have you been Adrian? It's been years since I met you down in Colorado.

Steve Shannon

Oh, so the secret new product is a tracker... Cool!

How have you been Adrian? It's been years since I met you down in Colorado.

Steve Shannon

I remember that. 2010? It was nice to meet you in person and a good rocketry weekend too. Every now and then I'm bummed that rocketry Planet is lost, and this is one of those times because that's where I documented all that. You were a really good moderator there with a tough job. RIP DM.

My hobby side business helped turn me toward professional avionics design, and I have been having so much fun with that over the past few years that I haven't made time for new Featherweight developments. Also I moved from CO into a tiny house in CA that didn't have room for rocket building, and it turns out that my own rocketry goals are a big motivator for my rocketry electronics design.

But now is a good time for me to invest in Featherweight product development again, so I've been going after it pretty hard for a few months. I've been spending a lot of time in CO for my regular job and a few weeks ago I had fun spending time with Larry Haynes and the NCR folks, despite uncooperative rocketry weather. I'm looking forward to doing some test flights at the Pawnee National Grasslands leading up to BALLS this year. I guess I should get re-certified.....

I remember that. 2010? It was nice to meet you in person and a good rocketry weekend too. Every now and then I'm bummed that rocketry Planet is lost, and this is one of those times because that's where I documented all that. You were a really good moderator there with a tough job. RIP DM.

My hobby side business helped turn me toward professional avionics design, and I have been having so much fun with that over the past few years that I haven't made time for new Featherweight developments. Also I moved from CO into a tiny house in CA that didn't have room for rocket building, and it turns out that my own rocketry goals are a big motivator for my rocketry electronics design.

But now is a good time for me to invest in Featherweight product development again, so I've been going after it pretty hard for a few months. I've been spending a lot of time in CO for my regular job and a few weeks ago I had fun spending time with Larry Haynes and the NCR folks, despite uncooperative rocketry weather. I'm looking forward to doing some test flights at the Pawnee National Grasslands leading up to BALLS this year. I guess I should get re-certified.....

RP is still backed up and sitting on a server.
I'm glad you're doing so well. You should get re-certified and fly some rockets! I'll see you on the range somewhere!

Steve Shannon

RP is still backed up and sitting on a server.
Steve Shannon

Is it possible to get a copy of that data Steve? Every now and again I go to look for something that was there and if I didn't back it up myself I end up on the Wayback Machine which sometimes helps but doesn't have photos. Drop me a PM if you'd like.

Adrian, I reckon I've got PDF files of at least one of your 38mm staging threads if you'd like me to dig them up.

That might be tough as some is a part of the forum software database, and some within Joomla.

I wonder if we could bring it up just the way it was when I pulled the plug, but read only, as an archive.
I've been much busier since LDRS, so I don't know when I'll get a chance to look at it though.

Steve Shannon

I, for one, would be very grateful if it could be done. Even if it's just up for a limited time, I'd like to copy my threads off somewhere. Or if it could be just kept online more indefinitely, I'd donate hosting fees for some time.

I, for one, would be very grateful if it could be done. Even if it's just up for a limited time, I'd like to copy my threads off somewhere. Or if it could be just kept online more indefinitely, I'd donate hosting fees for some time.
+1, I believe I mention I'd love to assist every time the subject comes up :)

+1, I believe I mention I'd love to assist every time the subject comes up :)

+2. I'd be willing to donate for the hosting costs as well. Any idea of what the total site size is in terms of disk space? My expectation would be that I'd wget the entire site once it came back online so I'd have a local copy. And read only would be preferable imo.

markkoelsch said:
That might be tough as some is a part of the forum software database, and some within Joomla.

Meh, I'd be willing to give it a crack. On the plus side, at least it wasn't SharePoint.

There's no worry about the hosting costs. They are reasonable and they are covered. I really appreciate the generosity of rocket folks though.
DHBarr- I appreciate your offer every time. As soon as I get all the other things done in my life that I'm guilty of procrastinating, I'll put out a call for volunteers. It's really just a matter of time. I truly do appreciate the interest!

Steve Shannon

There's no worry about the hosting costs. They are reasonable and they are covered. I really appreciate the generosity of rocket folks though.
DHBarr- I appreciate your offer every time. As soon as I get all the other things done in my life that I'm guilty of procrastinating, I'll put out a call for volunteers. It's really just a matter of time. I truly do appreciate the interest!

Any chance of getting a raw dump to poke at in a dev environment, completely offline? I'd just mail a key, share notes on what did & didn't work.

Update on this. Adrian sent a replacement unit, and all looks better now. See attached graph from the maiden flight. The accel curve looks more correct and there is now good agreement between baro altitude and accel altitude. However, I still set all 4 deployment events based on baro, to be safe.

I also like how there is a little wiggle in the baro altitude as I tickled Mach 1 around 1100 ft/s.

Capture2.jpg

View attachment firestick.k550.mwp15.2017.11.03.FIPa

Here's some comparison data from several of my units, all Raven 2's. But it does show that the accelerometer error is a lot bigger with longer, higher altitude flights:

Code:
L265:
[Altitude (Accel-Ft)]                         = Min: 0          Max: 30588
[Altitude (Baro-Ft-AGL)]                      = Min: -1         Max: 19403

935:
[Altitude (Accel-Ft)]                         = Min: 0          Max: 36355
[Altitude (Baro-Ft-AGL)]                      = Min: -13        Max: 23589

K627:
[Altitude (Accel-Ft)]                         = Min: 0          Max: 18734
[Altitude (Baro-Ft-AGL)]                      = Min: -2         Max: 15466

I55:
[Altitude (Accel-Ft)]                         = Min: 0          Max: 7259       
[Altitude (Baro-Ft-AGL)]                      = Min: 0          Max: 7826

Research N motor (BALLS)
[Altitude (Accel-Ft)]                         = Min: 0          Max: 15638
[Altitude (Baro-Ft-AGL)]                      = Min: -9258      Max: 13144

[Altitude (Accel-Ft)]                         = Min: 0          Max: 14420      
[Altitude (Baro-Ft-AGL)]                      = Min: -3         Max: 13137

Just as a point of reference. All flew with a redundant altimeter (generally a Stratalogger CF or an RDAS Compact) that matched the baro altitude of the Ravens within typical margin of error.

Tony

It would be interesting to have the approximate ground temperatures for these flights.
(With these altitudes, I'm assuming the launches were essentially vertical.)

Back