Looking for a nice 24mm MMT kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on Michael... two wraps of 2x2 carbon is all you need for strong and light. Give me a standard diameter and I'll have it to you in 48 hours.

Hell, I might have to make one out of CF then we can drag race.

There is no doubt,,
you are the man Michael...
Very impressive...

Teddy

Today the postman dropped off a box, and inside was my new custom rocket kit.

...meet BlackFly!

As some of you can tell by the next few pics, this has MAC written all over it. After I shared the design with Mike the discussion became very collaborative, I thoroughly enjoyed it and he really liked the design. After our discussion the design was cemented, so asked Mike to cut and supply whatever components he could. Well the pics below say it all. He literally turned this into a kit for me...talk about service.

34584242782_131c6845c9_b.jpg

Of course I couldn't just stare at the quality and very tight tolerances of MAC's components. I had to do a dry fit, and talk about fit, man Mike produces a premium product! Here it is beside a Rocketry Warehouse, now Madcow, Formula 38. Very similar in height and although my Jolly Logic Chute release fits in the Formula, it fits a heck of a lot better in the MAC BlackFly. Remarkably even though the BlackFly is a substantially beefier airframe with much tougher thicker fins, and the Formula is the thin FW/FG, only 25 grams separates the two rockets at this stage. This is one robust little rocket!

A shot from above to show the five fin design.

34706068326_9850a0af20_m.jpg

And a close-up of the custom tailcone. See how well a Aeropack fits. The tailcone in the pic is not the one I am using, more on that down a pic or two.

34706071586_25ce0000ac_b.jpg

Why the name BlackFly? Have you every been to Canada's North in the Summer, or anywhere in the world for that matter where these little buggers are and they are everywhere from the tropics to the arctic. They are tenacious, relentless and very adaptable. Beyond those characteristics they also share other characteristics I was looking for, such as a good flier with a stout robust little body.

So the obvious thing to do next was send Mark at stickershock a picture, along with a story. If you have ever worked with Mark you know he is great at this stuff. Just shoot some ideas at him and wallah he shoots back some quick creative visuals. In this case it went back a few times, and I know I tested his patience but I wanted to get it right, so below is a rendering of the decal set that will adorn BlackFly...as Mark says, never fly naked!

This is why the yellow tailcone is not being used. Although one might wonder why I need 4.

33937829763_a0864d1df8_c.jpg

So what's next, well a build thread seems appropriate. Although I have never done one before simply because it usually takes me so long to finish one rocket. However the idea of this rocket is that it was designed to be a quick easy build.

I will likely post a build thread and begin on the weekend.

Last edited:
Absolutely smokin,, both Mike and Mike,, lol..
Good for you man,,
I know this build will take time,,
but good things always do,, lol...

Teddy

I word of caution, if you plan to use CTI 24mm motors with this rocket, in any case don't use the ejection charge to deploy without adding BP, I lost 2 rockets smaller than your's ( probably 3 time less volume of booster ) because the ejection charge on those motors is way too week, CTI recommend to add BP outside the actual charge, but with 24mm it's more easy to say than do.

I word of caution, if you plan to use CTI 24mm motors with this rocket, in any case don't use the ejection charge to deploy without adding BP, I lost 2 rockets smaller than your's ( probably 3 time less volume of booster ) because the ejection charge on those motors is way too week, CTI recommend to add BP outside the actual charge, but with 24mm it's more easy to say than do.

Hi Q-Aero,

Thanks for the word of caution.

Even though the thread title says 24mm MMT, as mentioned in a previous post, I settled on a 29m MMT. I could adapt down to 24mm but I am unlikely to do so. However your advice is not lost as I will certainly will keep your word of caution in the back of my mind. I did end up designing a 24mm that I am happy with but I will save that design possibly for another thread.

One other change I will be making is the addition of an Eggtimer Quark altimeter in the nosecone, for the apogee event. Even though the rocket was designed as a simple pop and drop, I am likely going to use an altimeter BP charge for apogee. If the flight profile and motor delay work with each other then I may leave the motor eject BP in and keep the delay long, as a back up.

You want something fun to try for backup, a RC relay ( $ 11 ) , it'S plug on a RC receiver ( Orange Spektrum compatible are $ 15 ) and a LIPO and you can trigger an ejection when you want , opf course you need a transmiter, so it'S nice if you are in RC planes

you need to put a switch to power it on the launch pad, you doN,t want trigger it by accident

Apooge have somethin they call Triple fire that cost $ 119 that do the same think except it as a G switch to activate it as security and an external huge Buzzer ( this stuff have for $ 10 parts on it, lol )

RC relay

relay.jpg

Triple fire

triple fire.jpg

Agreed on the LOC park fliers, just get the 24mm MMT adapter and you can fly both 29's and 24's. I was also going to recommend the LOC Graduator or Aura. (Aura will be REALLY high on a G).

Agreed on the LOC park fliers, just get the 24mm MMT adapter and you can fly both 29's and 24's. I was also going to recommend the LOC Graduator or Aura. (Aura will be REALLY high on a G).

I receive an Hyperloc Park Flyer tuesday, was planing to purchase few more others kits, but since I discover they don't come with decals, I will get more Madcow thin wall instead. But still it's a very nice kit, for save weight I'm planing to make it 24mm.

As much as I liked the look of the new LOC offerings, as the conversation evolved I realized I wanted something a bit more unique than 3FNC and something really tough. Not a shot at LOC, I will very likely end up with at least a couple of those kits and they appear to be built with very sturdy tubing.

You want something fun to try for backup, a RC relay ( $ 11 ) , it'S plug on a RC receiver ( Orange Spektrum compatible are $ 15 ) and a LIPO and you can trigger an ejection when you want , opf course you need a transmiter, so it'S nice if you are in RC planes

you need to put a switch to power it on the launch pad, you doN,t want trigger it by accident

Apooge have somethin they call Triple fire that cost $ 119 that do the same think except it as a G switch to activate it as security and an external huge Buzzer ( this stuff have for $ 10 parts on it, lol )

RC relay

View attachment 320333

Triple fire

View attachment 320334

It looks interesting, thanks for the info. Maybe something to play with at some point.

I receive an Hyperloc Park Flyer tuesday, was planing to purchase few more others kits, but since I discover they don't come with decals, I will get more Madcow thin wall instead. But still it's a very nice kit, for save weight I'm planing to make it 24mm.

If you like the look of the MAC BlackFly you should contact Mike...he may surprise you. https://macperformancerocketry.com/pages/contact

If you like the look of the MAC BlackFly you should contact Mike...he may surprise you. https://macperformancerocketry.com/pages/contact

It will be very nice if kit providers like him and Madcow will have a design yourself web page, where you select parts you want, cutting and they build you a customized kit, of course using the parts they have, asking for a special diameter tube or cone will be way to much work .

Back