Loc cool spool motor retention?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
just bought a kit, reading through the instructions they mention a motor clip...further research reveals that the 1st ones came with an AT motor clip/hook. for those who have built one or more of them, what did you use to retain the motor? I'm thinking a couple small screw eyes and safety wire...but am willing to entertain suggestions, thanks.
Rex

I haven't built it but have been thinkin about getting one, so visited the loc page to check it out and this caught my attention:
Weight-10.1 lbs

im thinkin thatsa mistprint?

lol, the kit in package weighs 10.1 ounces :). I wouldn't wait too long to decide, Loc has it on the closeout list.
Rex

Hate to dig up an old thread, but what did you end up doing? I was thinking on the way in to work today.. and screws and wire was my idea so far too. If you went forward with it how did it work for you?

I've flown mine 3 times and just used electrical tape to retain the motor. Worked fine all three times.

used a couple of wee little screw eyes threaded through the plastic into a 1/2" x 1" x 1/8" plywood backers (not shown) epoxied to the spool. a bit of safety wire looped through the eyes and around the motor keeps everything in place, flown once, it worked.
Rex

motor_ret.jpg

But did you have a piece of cheese taped to the side of it? Mine does here, on a G64W

cool spool G64.jpg

Back