Uses for Estes D12-0 motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
I believe these are booster engines, but I'm not certain what they are used for.

Can anyone give me a few ideas what these should be saved for?

I've inherited about a half dozen of these and can't figure a use for them in my current fleet.

Any help?

Obviously, you send them to me for proper disposal, in clustered and staged rockets. :)

Art Applewhite original flying saucer:

9ss.jpg

"7.25 inch Flying Saucers
7.25 inches in diameter, 3 inches high and weight 0.9 ounce (25 grams). 24 mm motor mount and 3/16" launch lug.
Recommended engines Estes C11-0, C11-3, C11-5, D11-P, D12-0, 12-3, D12-5, E9-P, E9-4 and ALL Aerotech 24mm Single Use and RMS 24/40 reloads.
"

https://www.artapplewhite.com/fs.html

https://www.artapplewhite.com/

NewWay Vigilangle Square 2-stager:

NewWay_Space_Models_Vigilangle_square_rocket_NWY_11__62231.1371413049.1280.1280.jpg vigilangle parts.jpg

https://www.erockets.biz/newway-flying-model-rocket-kit-vigilangle-square/

These motors (and others, such as a C6-0, B6-0, etc..) have no delay or ejection charge, they are typically used for boosters in multi stage rockets. They also typically have no clay cap, so when they burn thru, the upper potion of fuel will spit sparks to ignite the motor above it.

They are also used in rockets that don't require a delay or ejection, such as saucers, that recover due to tumbling or other means. You can also get motors with a 'P' designation, which mean the upper end is plugged (no sparks). You'll see these on rocket boost gliders.

The Estes Comanche is a 3 stage rocket, and uses a D12-0 as the first stage. https://www.estesrockets.com/007245-comanche-3tm

Leave the motor mount out of an ESTES Quinstar.

I put a separate block and hook on a slightly longer BT-50, omitted the top pentagonal piece and made the 18mm MMT removable. QuinStar flies great on Cs and Ds

I believe these are booster engines, but I'm not certain what they are used for.
Can anyone give me a few ideas what these should be saved for?
I've inherited about a half dozen of these and can't figure a use for them in my current fleet.
Any help?

There is NO use for them.

Pack them up and send them to me.

I think that's mostly been answered. 1. 2 or three stage rockets (I assume you don't have any since you didn't know what a D12-0 is for) or 2. 24mm rockets that don't require ejection, such as saucers (if you don't have any, well, you should rectify that).

I think that's mostly been answered. 1. 2 or three stage rockets (I assume you don't have any since you didn't know what a D12-0 is for) or 2. 24mm rockets that don't require ejection, such as saucers (if you don't have any, well, you should rectify that).

I've used them for outboards on clusters as well.

If you cluster them, especially with another motor with an ejection charge, just be sure to plug the ends with some dog barf and tape it in. This prevents an ejection charge from igniting a motor that didn't light on the pad from the "wrong" end. I've seen it happen, and the results aren't pretty.

Last edited:
I've used them for outboards on clusters as well.

How could I have missed this one? That and large clusters whose outer tubes aren't vented for ejection. Slightly more advanced that the basic uses so I also assumed he had no such rockets.

Any help?

Dang it ! Ya got us again. :mad: Next time post pictures of your current fleet or ask somebody who knows what's in your current fleet.

I think you have two choices:

1. Give (trade, sell) these to someone who can use them.

2. Keep them and acquire any one of the various alternative models the generous posters have provided you here.

A Comanche 3 is easily converted to run D12-0, D12-0, D12-7. Just don't expect to find it. Ask me how I know.

If you cluster them, especially with another motor with an ejection charge, just be sure to plug the ends with some dog barf and tape it in. This prevents an ejection charge from igniting a motor that didn't light on the pad from the "wrong" end. I've seen it happen, and the results aren't pretty.

Yes...sage advice there.
I taped the ends of the outboards.

I'll bet seeing an ejection charge light the wrong end of adjacent motors would make for an interesting flight.:jaw::jaw:

Another thing to remember is when you leave adjacent outboard cluster tubes empty...ensure you plug them to block ejection gas escaping out the wrong end.
Sounds very basic...but I've seen a person forget to do it.

Back