Magneto Launchers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Curcio

Reaction score
I've always wondered why someone doesn't make a launch system out of a magneto - a sort of a telephone generator.
This kind of thing was used, at one time, to detonate explosives. Those plunger devices used magnetos.
Seems like it would be reliable. You could get a nice high voltage, and you wouldn't have to keep batteries charged.
OK. The image might be a problem. OTOH, it would be fun for kids :smile:

A magneto blasting generator generates a short duration high voltage pulse that works well for setting off a detonator or blasting cap.
It might work for setting off an electric match, but to light a rocket motor requires heat transfer. Igniters provide that by converting electric power to heat. I don't think a magneto would be optimal.
It would be interesting to try.

I've always wondered why someone doesn't make a launch system out of a magneto - a sort of a telephone generator.
This kind of thing was used, at one time, to detonate explosives. Those plunger devices used magnetos.
Seems like it would be reliable. You could get a nice high voltage, and you wouldn't have to keep batteries charged.
OK. The image might be a problem. OTOH, it would be fun for kids :smile:

I have thought the same thing. And the coolness factor would be through the roof!!!

I have made three such launch controllers and am working on a forth. I use them for our TARC teams. I posted on this back in 2015. I first came up withCrank u the idea in 1982 and built a prototype. I submitted the idea to Estes and was awarded the "Design of the Month" award for January of 1983.

Picture of the magneto and a controller during construction.

IMG_1233.jpg1218111509.jpg

Attachments

• Crank_Up_Rocket_Launcher.pdf
    248.3 KB · Views: 91
I have made three such launch controllers and am working on a forth. I use them for our TARC teams. I posted on this back in 2015. I first came up withCrank u the idea in 1982 and built a prototype. I submitted the idea to Estes and was awarded the "Design of the Month" award for January of 1983.

Picture of the magneto and a controller during construction.

View attachment 318983View attachment 318984

Love it!

Back