Deep Space Launch System, first part transporting from New Orleans to Huntsville AL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is cool. So if I read that correctly, this will test business end of the SLS?

That's cool. You should see if they have any viewings. Being in the business of...er...space news (wink wink), you should get a press pass.

That would be neat, especially with a handy dandy camera for photos for the group.

A structural test isn't usually exciting enough for press.
Lots of accelerometers and strain gauges and vibrations. No fire.

I wonder if they'll use the old dynamic test stand from the Saturn/Shuttle programs.

How tall is the transporter for this rocket? Then how tall are the sections as they stack them during assembly? They told us how tall the transporters were when we toured KSC in January but I don't remember now.

I'll have to see what I can find out about the questions. I think they may use the old Saturn V test stand, but it was modified to handle the space shuttle by widening it for the wings.

If I find out more, I'll be sure to update.

There's nothing like a good booster test firing to rattle the local windows~!

There is information in the first post's link about the transport barge being enlarged to be able to bring it up river. It should have arrived or be arriving soon. I wonder if the storms that have passed through this past weekend slowed it down.

I'll have to see what I can find out about the questions. I think they may use the old Saturn V test stand, but it was modified to handle the space shuttle by widening it for the wings.

If I find out more, I'll be sure to update.

There's nothing like a good booster test firing to rattle the local windows~!

They used the old Saturn V test stand to test some fuel and LOX filling procedures, but I don't believe that they will hot fire it there. Huntsville has gotten too close, so they'll use Stennis for hot fires.

That makes sense, but the subdivisions are as close as they use to be.

I may have to reach out to friends in the area and see if they have any insider information on this firing subject.

That makes sense, but the subdivisions are as close as they use to be.

I may have to reach out to friends in the area and see if they have any insider information on this firing subject.

What I said above was from people who worked at the test stand at MSFC. They said they discovered in the testing process for Saturn V that if there was an atmospheric inversion, the shock wave from the firing could reflect back to the ground and break windows many miles from the test stand. After that, they only did hot fires on clear weather days. Stennis was set up to be so far from anything but alligators that they didn't have to worry about breaking windows.

I want to say I was told as an intern at Marshall that Richter scales in Birmingham registered the firings of the Sat V 1st stage.

Whoah! I'm going to Huntsville this week! :)

I might have to swing by MSFC and see if I can see anything.

Take a camera...or two... please. Just in case there is smoke and fire.

Great that you are coming to Huntsville this weekend. You are lucky, the weather is suppose to be nice, and no rain. Do bring a camera and go to the Space and Rocket center and then the bus tour of Marshall.

You should have been in town the day the first steps on the Moon were taken. The town stopped as everyone watched on tv. I think everyone I knew was some way connected to it via their parents.

Hmmm, I didn't parse it well and 'static test' in our world means a fire test. For NASA, it could be all sorts of other tests. Being there at a random time and seeing a live fire would be unlikely too. Bring a camera anyway and do the stuff Angie mentioned.

Back