Introducing BourbonRoc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkingsley

Reaction score
My next project is to venture into HPR clustering and airstarts. One might ask why and the only answer I have is "cause I want to". BourbonRoc is a upscale Bourbon bottle with a cental 98mm and four 75mm motor mounts. Flight stability is controlled by the addition of four 5 gallon Bourbon barrels vaguely resembling tube fins.

BourbonRoc is the epitome of low and slow, the whole flight profile is designed around 1000-1500 ft apogee taking inspiration from TomC's projects.

I have modeled the project in Rhino for the geometry, spreadsheets for the weights and centers, CFD for the center of pressure, and OpenRocket for altitude/stability predictions.

Weights & Centers: View attachment BourbonRocWeightEstimate.pdf

Introducing BourbonRoc:
BourbonRocCadModel.jpg

CFD was used to predict the center of pressure for a range of velocities, the following image shows the pressure on the rocket and streamlines in the flow for 3 degrees Angle of Attack (AoA).
BourbonRoc_rev3_3AoA_050V@07500_Streamlines.jpg

The next image shows a vertical section through the computational domain with velocity contours. The large area of recirculating flow aft of the rocket gives indication of the magnitude of the base drag component BourbonRoc will be subject to.
BourbonRoc_rev3_3AoA_050V@07500_Velocity.jpg
Center of Pressure: View attachment BourbonRocCFD.pdf

I am targeting MDRA's spring Red Glare 2018 for this project, the sonotube has been ordered and discussions with Python Rocketry are underway for the nosecone and transition pieces.

Since the main objective is HPR clustering and airstarts, I have ordered/received a LOC Warlock customized with a central 54mm and four 29mm motor mounts to gain the experience needed to safely fly BourbonRoc. Due to its size and complexity BourbonRoc will be flown on its central 98mm motor for one or more shake down flights prior to flying on its full cluster.

This thread will serve as a central build thread for both BourbonRoc and the Warlock, including discussions on best practices on HPR clustering and airstarts as it pertains to these two rockets.

Coming up next will be CAD drawings for the custom nose cone and transition pieces.

Fabulous design for a low and slow flight.
I'll follow from here to the MDRA away cell.

Thanks for building and posting...

I think due to the scale the tube fins look more like shot glasses.

Reminds me of this guy. Flew at URRF II and LDRS 36.

attachment.php

I think due to the scale the tube fins look more like shot glasses.

I have four 5 gallon Bourbon barrels at my sisters house waiting for me to pick them up, a normal barrel is 53 gallons. I had to compromise somewhere to move the CG forward.

Uh-oh! Were you snooping around in Tom's garage? :wink:

Nope, The Concrete Store in Waldorf supplied it, they even trucked (75mi) it to a concrete plant in Queenstown about 3 miles from my house for free.

So some progress has been made, UpscaleCNC cut the centering rings and bulkheads for me and they arrived this morning. They are 24" in diameter and ~0.5" in thickness.

Bulkheads-small.jpg

PythonRocketry has been engaged to make the nose cone and neck of the bourbon bottle out of structural foam covered in two layers of glass. The nose cone will have a built in system of adjustable weights to control the Cg.

The 5 gallon bourbon barrels which will become the pods are making their way to me, I ducked a road trip for now. Can't beat almost free transportation, its going to cost me a crabcake lunch.

An older model 15ft sky-angle parachute was acquired yesterday that I am planning on using for the main. The nose cone will come down on its own parachute, which I have several sizes in my stash to use depending on the final weight.

I am working on the design/placement of a small compartment to house the electronics and wire routing conduits for air starting the outboard motors (lots of safety issues to wrangle).

Tubes from LOC arrived today for the 98 & 75 mm motor mounts and the 7.51" tube that will run through the neck of the bottle.

Tubes.jpg

The long lead time for Python Rocketry to make the nose cone is stretching this build out. He started late last week so I expect to see him ship it in a couple weeks.

The 5 gallon barrels that will make up the tube fins arrived today, turns out they are from Balcones a Texas Whiskey distillery and not from a Kentucky Bourbon distillery. So much for my sister knowing the difference.

I will be taking the barrel heads out and letting them dry to reduce the weight.

Barrel-small.jpg

As a teaser, Python Rocketry provided the following picture of the various lifts and the profile templates.

PythonRocketryParts.png

Last edited:
So do you now have to drink 20 gallons of wiskey before you can make your tube fins? :cheers:

So do you now have to drink 20 gallons of wiskey before you can make your tube fins? :cheers:

I wish. There was some leftovers sloshing around in the barrels to keep the staves tight, maybe a cup full.

Nice "bottle rocket"! :wink:

Have you started on the Warlock? I'm interested in seeing how you set up the air starts.

Nice "bottle rocket"! :wink:

Have you started on the Warlock? I'm interested in seeing how you set up the air starts.

I have started the Warlock, I am currently looking at using a RRC3 as the flight computer and a PET2+ to airstart the outboard motors.

I have imported the openrocket file into Rhino and have added some of the 3d printed details.

Warlock_Inboard2.png Warlock_Inboard.png Warlock_Outboard.png

I have started on the construction, the fins are mounted, the cutouts for the vents have been cut into the air frame, and I have the middle CR mounted to the motor mount tubes.

WarlockAirframeCutouts.jpg WarlockFinInternals.jpg

WarlockMMTDryFit.jpg WarlockMMTFwdCREpoxy.jpg WarlockVentDryFit.jpg

The plan is to remove the 29 mm motor ejection charges, the vents are just in case.

I have started the Warlock, I am currently looking at using a RRC3 as the flight computer and a PET2+ to airstart the outboard motors.

I have imported the openrocket file into Rhino and have added some of the 3d printed details.

I have started on the construction, the fins are mounted, the cutouts for the vents have been cut into the air frame, and I have the middle CR mounted to the motor mount tubes.

The plan is to remove the 29 mm motor ejection charges, the vents are just in case.

What format do you get out of OR that can be imported to rhino?

Latest posts

Back