Introducing BourbonRoc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw your nosecone on my dad's lathe while at his house yesterday, it is really cool.

The nosecone and transition from Python Rocketry arrived yesterday. The work is first class and I am thrilled with the results.

Transition_1sm.jpg
NoseConeTransition_1sm.jpg

NoseConeBulkhead_1sm.jpg

Last edited:
The 24" sonotube that makes up the rest of the bottle has been cut to size, and the transition has been set in place to check the fit. So far everything fits well and is under the weight estimate I made early in the project.

Sonotube_1sm.jpg
BourbonRoc_1sm.jpg

What are the odds you've already calculated the volume of product that bottle could contain? (out of idle curiosity perhaps?)

What are the odds you've already calculated the volume of product that bottle could contain? (out of idle curiosity perhaps?)

I had not thought about it, but it turns out to be about 400 liters, at the cheap end that would be $10,000 worth of bourbon.

That look phenomenal, Dennis. Between you, Tom, and Nate, MDRA is going to have some really cool-looking stuff going up this year!

So now that I have moved and have a large 15'x15' shed mostly dedicated to rocket building I am back to the construction of BourbonRoc.

Today I cut the stringers, removed the glassine layer from the motor tubes, and dry fit the internal structure.

MotorTubes1.png
MotorTubes2.png

All that structure needs to go into this body tube...

ThisGoesInHere.png

You built a rocket building building? Nice!

My wife has been trying to get me to build a painting shed, so that I don't stink up the house every time I paint in the garage.

Today, I unpacked a few of the boxes marked tools to find my collection of screws, measuring tapes, small squares, etc.

I was able to cut the motor tubes to the correct length and used the table saw with the blade set to 10deg to knock the outboard edges of the stringers off to approximate the radius of the sonotube.

I used the cut off motor tube pieces to align the aft centering ring with the middle ring and attach the stringers to the aft centering ring. I then removed the motor tube pieces and slid the middle centering ring into position. Finally I installed the fwd bulkhead and checked the fit/alignment of the transition piece. It looks like I will have to find my belt sander to cleanup the radius on the stringers taking off about 1/16".

The next step is to cut a piece of body tube and coupler to connect it to the tube in the transition and extend it to the fwd bulkhead. Then I can pull one stringer at a time and epoxy them in place.

LiningStringersUp.png

FwdCenteringRing.png

Stacked.png

MotorTubesCutToSIze.png

Will you be using a smaller volume piston deployment, or just throwing in a few oz of 4F to blow that forward area?

The internal body tube is a 7.51” LOC tube, I have been planning on just using some 4F to blow the nose off. What I have been waffleing on where charge should go, back at the bulkhead pushing the chutes out, or up at the nose cone pulling the chutes out. Either way the nose cone is coming down on its own chute since it weighs in at 12lbs.

Will you be using a smaller volume piston deployment, or just throwing in a few oz of 4F to blow that forward area?

The internal body tube is a 7.51” LOC tube, I have been planning on just using some 4F to blow the nose off. What I have been waffleing on where charge should go, back at the bulkhead pushing the chutes out, or up at the nose cone pulling the chutes out. Either way the nose cone is coming down on its own chute since it weighs in at 12lbs.

I'll bet Tom could give you some examples from personal experience. I'd definitely be thinking D-Bags with pilot chutes.

John, I have been talking to Tom about this project from the beginning, the inspiration for this project came from watching his projects fly.

I'll bet Tom could give you some examples from personal experience. I'd definitely be thinking D-Bags with pilot chutes.

More progress on BourbonRoc this weekend, I removed the barrel heads from the 5 gallon barrels, cut the body tube extension to go from the transition Python made for me to the forward bulkhead, cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to attach the body tube extension to the bulkhead, and drilled the holes for the all thread that will transfer the recovery loads to the bulkheads and centering rings.

TubeFins.png

BodyTubeExtension.png

AllThread.png

Holey smokes Dennis.......
OK,, so I guess the attachment points haven't been closed up yet,,,
Dats a good thing,, lol...

Teddy

Holey smokes Dennis.......
OK,, so I guess the attachment points haven't been closed up yet,,,
Dats a good thing,, lol...

Teddy

Teddy, Thanks for getting the harness out in such short notice, I received it in time to keep building this weekend.

Teddy, Thanks for getting the harness out in such short notice, I received it in time to keep building this weekend.

Anytime Dennis,,
Thank YOU,, lol..
Dennis keep those U bolts big and heavy...
Can you get 3/8" ??
I know 5/16" U bolts are fairly easy to get..

Teddy

Back