(I NEED YOUR OPINION!) looking in to Starting a rocket kit business...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does it take you to produce and box up a kit for shipping? $4 is not really your profit, it is most likely paying for your time...make sure you are at least getting paid for your time. That includes development, testing and driving to the post office to mail them. You can save a bit of $$ using online usps shipping labels instead of paying at the post office if you use flat rate.

When I started making my glider kits, one of the biggest problems for me was keeping shipping reasonable, if you can fit things into flat rate usps boxes that's an advantage, I wound up having to buy boxes that were just under the size cutoff where the prices took a step up and then designed my parts to fit that. I have designed using parts and components that I would use for my own personal use and cut them to order so I would not be stuck with a lot of product that I had to sell, if no-one bought, I would eventually use the parts for my own rocket gliders.(except for the boxes) I decided to put the instrutions online instead of printing them, so that if I needed to make updates I did not have to re-print anything. Make a youtube video and post it, showing your designs and them flying, that goes a long way for folks to have confidence in them. Make sure to consider the cost of getting the parts to you, ie what is the minimum order you need to do to keep costs down, have alternate sources of components in case you lose one or they are out of stock. Make them the best that you can, your name is on them, do not send out something that is not well crafted, look at everything with a critical eye. If you paid for that kit and opened it up is there anything you would not be happy with? If so, fix it.

Make sure your designs are unique or different enough to justify the price, there are a lot of 3fnc/4fnc kits out there. People may be willing to buy a kit or two because you are young and they want to encourage you, but that won't last forever, they need to be a good product to sustain the interest.

I started selling direct from the forums, If things get going, you can consider a web page for selling them, with paypal buttons for payment, that's another learning experience that will go a long way toward your education. There are a lot of free blog page options you can use for posting instructions etc that don't cost you anything but time.

Frank

Last edited:
Is it customary to use ID or OD?

it depends on what is important. It also depends on what is the customary standard.

In our case, Rockets. Rockets tend to be (overall) length by tube OD. (Of course, the 2.6" OD might actually be 2.56" or 2.625"..) and LPR tend to be length x OD. no need to mention the MMT dia, as it's a given; mini, A-C, C-D-E..

Look at Estes, Flistkits, Quest, etc..

For MPR & HPR, we then also mention the motor mount ID, because that's the constant, and the reference for intended motors. And, there are usually way more than just a few motors to list!

Now, to really bust your noodle, go look up the OD of a 1/2" pipe (not "tube"). And go measure a wood 2x4 (or even a 2x6, 4x4, or any other piece of wood a the local home store..)
https://www.engineersedge.com/pipe_schedules.htm

The instructions still need a lot of work. I'll try to do another set of illustrations tonight.

If you can state the final parts, the fin drawings, and any other relevant information information not mentioned prior, then I will try to finish the written portion of the instructions tonight as well. Instructions will still need revising after Nate builds his kit and provides feedback, of course.

Just an FYI. I sent Andrew a slew of feedback this morning about recommended changes to the instructions. We'll probably go through another 4-5 rounds facilitated by building the kit, testing it, and getting pictures up.

Just an FYI. I sent Andrew a slew of feedback this morning about recommended changes to the instructions. We'll probably go through another 4-5 rounds facilitated by building the kit, testing it, and getting pictures up.

Yeah, I got it! :)
Thanks,

If you use PayPal they have a link directly to ship via USPS, the rates are a bit lower too.

Yesterday I worked on my sales receipt.. That's done! :)
The official photo shoot for the Patriot is coming soon.
I have a SECRET design I'm working on right now, let's just say there is NOTHING like it on the market!! :cool: :)
Thanks,

I did it! :)
Thanks,

From your site: The Patriot rocket will be priced at around $10.00
Current Stock: (0) Sorry, we don't have any of these rockets in stock; But, isn't shouldn't be longer until we have them in stock!

you should correct the bold sections to be proper english.

I did it! :)
Thanks,

cool beans,andrew!!! something you might want to add on the description on your blog is the diameter.
awesome to see ya sticking to it! with your willingness to learn, persistence, open mindedness, and no quit attitude, i see good things coming from and for you in the future.
so, when are ya gonna start work on a 3/4 scale patriot kit? :)
im thinkin a year or 2. :)

cool beans,andrew!!! something you might want to add on the description on your blog is the diameter.
awesome to see ya sticking to it! with your willingness to learn, persistence, open mindedness, and no quit attitude, i see good things coming from and for you in the future.
so, when are ya gonna start work on a 3/4 scale patriot kit? :)
im thinkin a year or 2. :)

Actually my dream project for the summer is a 1/3 scale WAC Corporal 2 stage! I now have a Eggtimer. :)
I've seen a full scale patriot fly on a P8000.
I'm 13 and I have been flying since I was 3, and went to my first HPR launch at 4.
Thanks,

The mystery rocket, which needs to be built, tested and modified by me, is a plan for the first 2 finned rocket kit on the market.
The rocket is called "The Two finned wonder" it should be a 24mm diameter rocket. Nothing more about the plans are going to be released until further notice...
Thanks,

2 fins is a very bad idea and a RSO should ban it. Unless you have some kind of vertical stabilizers at the end of the fins or something else

Yea, 2 finned rockets are usually banned from flying. Before you market this one better have someone give it a thorough review.

Yea, 2 finned rockets are usually banned from flying. Before you market this one better have someone give it a thorough review.

Hmm, I guess you're right.. I guess I'll have to think some more.
Can you guys guess how popular the Patriot kit will be?
Thanks,

Hmm, I guess you're right.. I guess I'll have to think some more.
Thanks,
Your two fin is a Model Rocket. If you think it will fly, build it & swing test it. If the swing test goes well, think about when & where to safely fly it. When it can't stop flying, decide whether or not to kit it. When you're tired of stuffing parts in bags, do something else.

Honestly your business model make no sense, you have 0 experience with business, you ask help for everything but on your website, you use We..We , and We , big business and yet nothing to sell.
Look at how Dynosoar introduce is business on his website
“About Us: I've been flying RC for more than 30 years, and flying rockets for more than 40. I'm NAR level 2 certified”
So he use I, Cervin with his EggKits use also a personal approach, not a corporate one.

If you ever sell something, big chance it’s gone be from a guy on this forum, I will use a more personal approach with all the information needed on your website about your products. Look at a kit on Apooge, lot of pics, video, link, Rocksim files, so a customer know what he is purchasing.

Thanks,

Honestly, you will not make money, see it as a learning experience, not a profitable one. A beginner will purchase a RTF Estes rocket at Lobby something , ( we don't have those stores here ) with the pad and someone with experience will do it himself, you need only basic tools to cut balsa fins.

The mystery rocket, which needs to be built, tested and modified by me, is a plan for the first 2 finned rocket kit on the market.
The rocket is called "The Two finned wonder" it should be a 24mm diameter rocket. Nothing more about the plans are going to be released until further notice...
Thanks,

2 fins is a very bad idea and a RSO should ban it. Unless you have some kind of vertical stabilizers at the end of the fins or something else

Oh ......I don't know guy's...kid might be onto something here.

Back when NERRF was going on, there was a flier who had a nice 2 fin, that flew great,even in a little breezy weather.Sure was a crowd pleaser and drew much attention when flown.

BUT the real SHOWSTOPPER was the 1 fin rocket he had, that one, really really got attention. Yes it worked everytime.

Back