TLP Perseus for my daughter and I

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilot-five

Reaction score
My 8 year old daughter asked about flying model rockets but I had not touched one for almost 30 years. We started with some easy to assemble Estes kits. Then I got her a Viking kit. The one we used to make in scouts. Well she loved making that and flying it. We have now made and flown a number of low power rockets and wanted to move up.

So now we picked up a TLP Perseus kit and have been using it for me to brush up on techniques and also to get her some scratch build like experience. I am glad they make kits like this (but heard that the TLP isn't making them anymore). I know there are other kits by other companies but this is our first builders project.

Not sure if we will decorate it. Probably just do a white and red paint scheme. But the experience of getting back into things is great.

55ee7c8bee4b67f251cfad556593ea18.jpg

Due to the weather we only primed it last week and today it just got a coat of flat white on it.

cd10e82cd82d6ab05eaab72b3da05807.jpg

279502a06ea570511cf9a53fe51bdf5f.jpg

My 8 year old daughter asked about flying model rockets but I had not touched one for almost 30 years. We started with some easy to assemble Estes kits. Then I got her a Viking kit. The one we used to make in scouts. Well she loved making that and flying it. We have now made and flown a number of low power rockets and wanted to move up.

So now we picked up a TLP Perseus kit and have been using it for me to brush up on techniques and also to get her some scratch build like experience. I am glad they make kits like this (but heard that the TLP isn't making them anymore). I know there are other kits by other companies but this is our first builders project.

Not sure if we will decorate it. Probably just do a white and red paint scheme. But the experience of getting back into things is great.

55ee7c8bee4b67f251cfad556593ea18.jpg

Due to the weather we only primed it last week and today it just got a coat of flat white on it.

cd10e82cd82d6ab05eaab72b3da05807.jpg

279502a06ea570511cf9a53fe51bdf5f.jpg

Wow, nice job. I really like that kit.

That looks super!!

My only concern, from the first picture, is that it looks like the fin's wood grain is running parallel to the body tube. Traditionally, the wood grain should run parallel to the fin's leading edge..

The fins are papered and then coated with CA. You probably are seeing the CA brush strokes before I sanded.

Back