Recomendations for new pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnifeEdge01

Reaction score
Hello all,
Over the weekend my Estes E launch pad gave out/broke. Paetially my fault as I was using a 6ft steel rod instead of the supplied 4ft aluminum rod. But the mount gave out when I had an E9 cato before the rocket even left the pad. So before I go buy another, can anyone recomend a different one? I was thinking of building something but looking for ideas. The largest engine I use is an Aerotech F20-4. Not sure if I plan to go bigger as my field is smaller in area.

Thanks!

Jawstand is pretty expensive for MPR. Estes sells a "PSII" tripod stand, as well as the Aerotech Initiator. I built one out of PVC that I will probably never use. You can change rods to any size. If you are willing to pay shipping and a stipend, I'll send it to you. PM me.

Jawstand is pretty expensive for MPR. Estes sells a "PSII" tripod stand, as well as the Aerotech Initiator. I built one out of PVC that I will probably never use. You can change rods to any size. If you are willing to pay shipping and a stipend, I'll send it to you. PM me.

Your comment is puzzling? The Jawstand is $45 on amazon. Assume $5 in hardware to get it to accept rods or maker beam. That puts it double the price of the PSII stand ($23.95) and less than 1/2 the cost of the Aerotech mantis launch pad ($119.99)[FONT=Telex, Arial, Helvetica, FontAwesome]. It's the most solidly built launcher of the 3 and can handle L1 HPR too. To me it's absolutely golden for LPR and MPR. I just got one in that I will be fitting with makerbeam to serve that exact purpose.[/FONT]

Your comment is puzzling? The Jawstand is $45 on amazon. Assume $5 in hardware to get it to accept rods or maker beam. That puts it double the price of the PSII stand ($23.95) and less than 1/2 the cost of the Aerotech mantis launch pad ($119.99)[FONT=Telex, Arial, Helvetica, FontAwesome]. It's the most solidly built launcher of the 3 and can handle L1 HPR too. To me it's absolutely golden for LPR and MPR. I just got one in that I will be fitting with makerbeam to serve that exact purpose.[/FONT]

Hmm, price on the Jawstand has come down since I last looked. Also, I had no idea the Aerotech was so expensive. Not worth it, as I've seen them snap in half in higher winds.

If you aren't going for a rail, you could make one with two two-by-fours and a pizza tray.

Hmm, price on the Jawstand has come down since I last looked. Also, I had no idea the Aerotech was so expensive. Not worth it, as I've seen them snap in half in higher winds.

If you aren't going for a rail, you could make one with two two-by-fours and a pizza tray.

There are two somewhat different versions of the Jawstand by Rockwell, the cheaper one works just as well as the more expensive one.

Make one from cheap PVC parts. Either a largish one as described on the NAR web site, or a smaller tripod using a "side outlet elbow". Available in 1/2" (model rocket sized), 3/4", or 1" sizes.

I built the larger version along with a pivot head made from eye bolts and a turnbuckle to hold the rod.

Make one from cheap PVC parts. Either a largish one as described on the NAR web site, or a smaller tripod using a "side outlet elbow". Available in 1/2" (model rocket sized), 3/4", or 1" sizes.

I built the larger version along with a pivot head made from eye bolts and a turnbuckle to hold the rod.

I was going to suggest something similar. I've made several pads like this lately with the side outlet elbow as the top of the tripod (3/4 and 1 inch sizes). I used PVC electrical conduit male and female threaded adapters to make the legs screw on/off (the electrical parts are cheaper than the similar ones in the plumbing department for some reason).

I also made eyebolt-based pivot heads, but with modified coupling nuts (drilled/tapped for a thumbscrew) to retain the rod. If you use 1/4 inch hardware this setup will take 1/8 or 3/16 rods and will nicely hold either an Estes blast deflector or better the heavy duty one from NARTS. If you choose your part lengths right you can also use a couple of legs of the tripod as a launch rod container.

The 4-legged cross-based on on the NAR site is rather more awkward to set up than a tripod in my experience. I've done those in the past up to and including one for a six foot 1/4 inch rod (for TARC).

Another tripod approach I've used is to use two different sizes of pipe (1 inch, 1 1/4 inch schedule 40) to make one leg's length adjustable. Then the rod holder can be fixed either as in the NAR page linked to above or with a fine-thread 5/16 bolt and a drill chuck harvested from a dead drill you have around the house or can get at a thrift store. My current 1/4 inch rod pad is set up this way. The eyebolt-based pivot could actually be combined with this if one chose one's hardware right.....

I've even tried to make a rail pad this way, using half inch hardware for the eyebolt pivot and 2 inch pipe for the tripod itself (got the side outlet elbow for this from Amazon). It's hard to get the pivot to hold the rail steady, though...need more friction between the two eyebolts. I currently have a rubber washer in there, but it makes the rail feel insecure even when it isn't, so I'm still looking for a good solution there.

Our club has 4 of the 2" PVC quad pods that we use for our Mid-Power pads, we use a drill chuck (HF) and the ball base of the cheap HF swivel vise (think Pana-Vise) to mount the rod/rail adapters in,the blast plate protects the drill chuck. My only issue with the PVC quad-pods is that they are kind of a pain to put together and take apart since PVC doesn't like to slip together/apart after its been used in the field for a bit. We recently acquired a JawStand and with a few mods it has become our favorite pad for Mid and even some smaller HPR (when properly staked down of course).

JawStand is great. I just put one together for NSL 2017. Most of my low and mid power builds use mini and micro rail buttons, so I wanted my ow pad. Plus, our NAR section does not have mini or micro rails. Since this picture I've added exhaust deflector. Shown is a 4' 80/20!20mm rail. I also will add a support block for a little MakerBeam rail.

I have a rod support block for tripods that I could also add to the JawStand. The clamping on it makes changeout simple.

IMG_1094.jpg

Thanks for all the input so far! I am leaning towards the Rockwell Jawstand. The only thing I dont like is it sits higher off the ground, but I could deal with that. Im also looking at building a pad with some aluminum tube as I have access to that and a nice welder. I will keep you posted.

Thanks!

What do you guys recommend for blast deflectors? I just built a Jawstand pad and used a piece of scrap sheet metal for a blast deflector. I don't know any details about the metal, but it wasn't very thick. The jaw stand and 1010 rail worked great, but the deflector was thoroughly destroyed by a Loki I405 last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you guys recommend for blast deflectors? I just built a Jawstand pad and used a piece of scrap sheet metal for a blast deflector. I don't know any details about the metal, but it wasn't very thick. The jaw stand and 1010 rail worked great, but the deflector was thoroughly destroyed by a Loki I405 last week.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N41O8HS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 If you pull off the plastic holder there are already drilled holes and it's already bent at an angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Heavenly Hobbies Tri-Pad for rods, but I also bought an 8020 rail because I've found that my 1/4" SS rod can still whip quite a bit with heavier MPR if I angle it for windage. I don't really know how to mount it to a pad though. I don't really want to buy a Jawstand unless I absolutely have to. Can anyone offer some simple/inexpensive solutions?

I've seen people attach the rail to a short section of 1/4 inch rod and mount the rod to the launch pad.

I've seen people attach the rail to a short section of 1/4 inch rod and mount the rod to the launch pad.

I have a 1/4-20 bolt threaded into the end of it for that purpose, but I'm afraid it's too heavy - without a rocket on it - to remain upright if tilted anywhere short of vertical. But to be honest, I haven't tried it yet.

Most 8020 (1010) rails I've seen are connected to 1/2" rod and that connects to the pad. (3/4" or 1" rods for 1515 rails) If your pad can't accept a rod larger then 1/4", you might want to consider that a rail will allow too large of rocket to fit on the pad to be able safely fly from that pad.

Most 8020 (1010) rails I've seen are connected to 1/2" rod and that connects to the pad. (3/4" or 1" rods for 1515 rails) If your pad can't accept a rod larger then 1/4", you might want to consider that a rail will allow too large of rocket to fit on the pad to be able safely fly from that pad.

Yes, I'm leaning toward something dedicated for use with the rail. With a 1/4" x 6' rod my pad is fine, but a rail of the same length adds much more weight to the moment arm before adding a larger/heavier rocket and that's what concerns me.

:no: For a 1/3 of that price, I'd just buy the Jawstand!
I'm not an HPR rocketeer and have no intention of becoming one. I just need something a little more stout than what I currently have to handle a few larger MPR models from a rail.

My reply was in response to the OP's original post. My product is aimed toward those who may lack the skills/tools necessary to craft their own launch pad. If you have the skills and tools necessary to the task then the Jawstand is a great product. My price reflects both material and fabrication costs but also shipping cost, over which I have little control. It comes as a complete unit except for the rods which can be obtained elsewhere.

My reply was in response to the OP's original post. My product is aimed toward those who may lack the skills/tools necessary to craft their own launch pad. If you have the skills and tools necessary to the task then the Jawstand is a great product and readily available at any number of fine retailers. Plus you can always use it in its original mode for woodworking. As for my price, it includes not only my costs for material and fabrication, but also shipping over which I have little control and it is a complete unit except for the rods which can be elsewhere.

Sorry. :sigh: I thought you were responding to my post. No hard feelings.

Back