What's your favorite non-tool building tool?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like using these dental syringes when applying wood glue. You can control the amount applied very closely and get into tight spots (like on the Asteroid Hunter I'm currently working on). You can also leave the glue in the syringe for a couple days if needed as long as you plug the nozzle with a pin and clean-up is easy. Just search Amazon for dental syringes. Be sure to get the curved nozzels. 41yChconoEL._AC_US200_.jpg

I really like using these dental syringes when applying wood glue. You can control the amount applied very closely and get into tight spots (like on the Asteroid Hunter I'm currently working on). You can also leave the glue in the syringe for a couple days if needed as long as you plug the nozzle with a pin and clean-up is easy. Just search Amazon for dental syringes. Be sure to get the curved nozzels. View attachment 335920

Great idea! I just ordered a bunch from Amazon. The nozzle on Titebond bottles really sucks when it comes to precision and amount control.

I really like using these dental syringes when applying wood glue. You can control the amount applied very closely and get into tight spots (like on the Asteroid Hunter I'm currently working on). You can also leave the glue in the syringe for a couple days if needed as long as you plug the nozzle with a pin and clean-up is easy. Just search Amazon for dental syringes. Be sure to get the curved nozzels. View attachment 335920
+1. Was using one last night.

From the Ether...

I like the tip on Elmer's but I have yet to run out of the ginormous bottle I started with a year ago.

One of the benefits of being a middle school student at my school is that you spend several hours each day in what is essentially a waste generation machine. Some of that waste is glue bottles, and other than in art, nobody cares to refill them.

Strangely, in high school, teachers tend to favor glue sticks. I have no idea why.

I have a pair of dismantled table top lights that work awesome as bases for painting or vertical drying of any sort. They are basically a very heavy sturdy metal base with about 2 feet of 1/2” threaded rod standing up. They never tip over outside in the wind. I could use a few more now that I think about it. Nice sturdy base to hold a rocket upright hands free

One of the benefits of being a middle school student at my school is that you spend several hours each day in what is essentially a waste generation machine. Some of that waste is glue bottles, and other than in art, nobody cares to refill them.

Strangely, in high school, teachers tend to favor glue sticks. I have no idea why.

Didn't realize you were a middle school student, your grammar and syntax are exceptional...far and above that of most adult blog "writers/authors" these days. Which is encouraging as we could really use an influx of intelligent young people in the sciences and even creative fields. Glad you're interested in the sport. Hope to see some of your builds/launches here.

Wendy's Ketchup cups. Perfect size, heavy duty and cheap....

Just because my conscience gets in the way I prefer to buy them from my local URM Cash n' Carry restaurant supply a sleeve of several hundred is only a few dollars, its the Solo 2oz size that I use most mainly for mixing small quantities of epoxy and other adhesives. Don't put acetone or lacquer thinner in them though, they work for about 30 seconds then you have a mess.

That is what I do. For rocket club I use a quart bottle to fill a bunch of Elmers School Glue bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
I use the 8oz Harbor Freight squeeze bottle (6 pack for like $2) and fill them from a gallon of Titebond II I keep in the shop. These are the bottles I use for cubscout build nights and youth activities.

I steal my mixing cups from 5 Guys Burgers.. :D
I have a stack of hotel room key cards
I have a step-brother who has Krohn's. But, being in the Canadian healthcare system, he gives me as many 10mm syringes I want! (He recently gave me a whole box!!)
I 'borrow' stir sticks form various places, for stirring epoxy. the good wooden ones
I've also takes 'extra chop sticks, for securing nose weight, for missing, for poking, etc..
I use take- out or margarine container lids for glue & mixing. nothing seems to stick to these!
I've picked up a few drafter's triangles from garage / estate sales.
I have a cheap 'knife holder. it's a strip with 'hooks' on it, about 3" a part (the whole thing is about 12" long, with about 5 hooks) great for keeping your rulers & straight edges organized & hung up.

Empty plastic water bottles...perfect container for sealing off fumes from paper towels soaked with dope, acetone, thinner etc. as well as used xacto knife blades.

I firmly believe that the more oddly shaped bits of metal one has in one's toolbox, the better one's chance of having just the right thing in a sticky situation. I bought these dental picks at a flee market for $2.00. I've yet to use them for rocketry, but I'm sure their day will come.
Picks.jpgI just don't get why the manufacturer didn't put a straight pick on the right side of the bottom one.

I firmly believe that the more oddly shaped bits of metal one has in one's toolbox, the better one's chance of having just the right thing in a sticky situation. I bought these dental picks at a flee market for $2.00. I've yet to use them for rocketry, but I'm sure their day will come.
View attachment 336606I just don't get why the manufacturer didn't put a straight pick on the right side of the bottom one.

I sure could've used those today.

Back