The Captain's personal launch report, SARG Launch 042217

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
It was a beautiful day at Gibson Ranch Park. A little breezy and cloudy, but nice nonetheless.

P1070235.JPG

P1070237.JPG

P1070238.JPG

P1070239.JPG

The first of mine was the Meaner Machine, this time on a G76 Mojave Green. I had the Chute Release set at 500ft, but I lost sight of the rocket in the clouds, and didn't see the recovery. But according to spectators, the chute released perfectly. Apparently it was a really good flight.

[YOUTUBE]furDgqAZTPI[/YOUTUBE]

P1110332.JPG

P1110381.JPG

P1110382.JPG

P1110382b.JPG

P1110383.JPG

The second of mine was 5 Times A Fool version 2.0, on an H165 Redline. I had the Chute Release set for 500ft again, and saw the entire flight. Everything looked perfect!

[YOUTUBE]2rhJD9N-YB4[/YOUTUBE]

P1110418.JPG

P1110455.JPG

P1110456.JPG

P1110457.JPG

P1110476.JPG

P1110484.JPG

P1110494.JPG

Since I didn't see the entire first flight of Meaner Machine, I decided to launch it again. I had a G64 White Lightning reload with me,
so I loaded it up. I saw the entire flight, and everything looked good, except the chute didn't pull out of the body tube right away. I had put the chute in first followed by the harness, but in the future I'll put the chute in last. Regardless, the chute did come out, and it was a successful recovery.

[YOUTUBE]d5eXJc4UGmM[/YOUTUBE]

P1110513.JPG

P1110514.JPG

P1110515.JPG

P1110516.JPG

P1110540.JPG

P1070281.JPG

Got a small zipper in the coupler of Mean Machine on the last flight. Never seen that before, and not sure how it happened.

P1070299.JPG

This is Kit's fiberglass lil Goblin on a Blue Thunder something or other. Cute little thing!

[YOUTUBE]mj6M-rjnxBM[/YOUTUBE]

P1110560.JPG

P1110565.JPG

P1110566.JPG

I want to thank my good friend Hanna for all of her help and her awesome launch photos!

P1070243.JPG

P1070247.JPG

P1070249.JPG

P1070266.JPG

P1070271.JPG

P1070285.JPG

P1070296.JPG

P1070311.JPG

Another excellent launch report!! Thanks for sharing the photos and videos. That Chute release really works great, doesn't it! :)

Thanks for the great launch report, pictures and videos! I have only been able to get to one launch this year so far and it was too windy to launch anything I had with me, but we had a few new members with kids who loved chasing their rockets.

For the sake of clarification, my Madcow Lil Goblin F/G 29mm went up on an Aerotech SU F50-6T. I particularly like the photo where Lil Goblin hasn't quite left the rail yet. Can't recall ever seeing one like that before.

BTW, the last photograph where Hanna is sitting down eating shows my daughter and her friend in the background to the right. She is responsible for me becoming a BAR back in 2008 or so and attends a lot of the local launches to watch.

For the sake of clarification, my Madcow Lil Goblin F/G 29mm went up on an Aerotech SU F50-6T. I particularly like the photo where Lil Goblin hasn't quite left the rail yet. Can't recall ever seeing one like that before.

BTW, the last photograph where Hanna is sitting down eating shows my daughter and her friend in the background to the right. She is responsible for me becoming a BAR back in 2008 or so and attends a lot of the local launches to watch.

You can see that the ignition wire hasn't hit the ground yet in that one, too.

Was the young girl there your granddaughter?

Another excellent launch report!! Thanks for sharing the photos and videos. That Chute release really works great, doesn't it! :)

I was glad I had the Chute Release. The rockets all drifted a long ways in the breeze, I can't imagine how far they would have gone without it.

I didn't spot the dangling ignition wire!

Yes, that was my granddaughter (number 1 son's daughter). The rest of the grands are boys.

The first of mine was the Meaner Machine, this time on a G76 Mojave Green. I had the Chute Release set at 500ft, but I lost sight of the rocket in the clouds, and didn't see the recovery. But according to spectators, the chute released perfectly.

As you gain confidence in your folding and bundling with Chute Release, you can choose lower release points so they'll drift less. Once the parachute inflates, your rockets will slow to landing speed in about 10-20 feet. So releasing at a higher altitude really just means more drift. I typically choose 300 or 400 feet for a new rocket on a windy day, and 200 for rockets that I've flown reliably before and have lots of confidence in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, John. I'll try a lower altitude at Snow Ranch this Saturday.

Thanks for the input, John. I'll try a lower altitude at Snow Ranch this Saturday.
Whoops!

LUNAR email update today said the May launch at Snow Ranch has been canceled. Next scheduled launch is November.

We have officially entered Building Season. Launch Season appears to be over...unless through some freak rain storm drenches Gibson Ranch and SARG puts on a launch. Lotta 90 degree days between now and then...

~sigh~

Whoops!

LUNAR email update today said the May launch at Snow Ranch has been canceled. Next scheduled launch is November.

We have officially entered Building Season. Launch Season appears to be over...unless through some freak rain storm drenches Gibson Ranch and SARG puts on a launch. Lotta 90 degree days between now and then...

~sigh~

Well damn. I was looking through my old photos, and LUNAR had May launches in 2010 and 2012. I was hoping for 2017.

Well damn. I was looking through my old photos, and LUNAR had May launches in 2010 and 2012. I was hoping for 2017.
I remember Bill flying a big kite at the May 2012 launch. Crazy windy in the month of May most years and it's been very windy this week. Hot and windy, bad for grass fire issues.

Back