Irony in the space program

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not following your math. It appears that you are saying that 1969 NASA went to the moon with less money than today's NASA receives. However, you then point out that 1969 NASA received 2.31% of the total budget, about 4.6x more than 2016 NASA received.

For the size of the government back then NASA received 2.31% of overall budget towards the space program in 1969. That was alot back then. Nasa's budget in 2016 0.5% of the overall budget. Today's government is bigger. What I am saying is if today NASA received just 1% of overall budget from the governemnt NASA could do so much more. Put it this way. 1 billion dollars in 1969 goes further then 1 billion dollars in 2017. Does that make any sense?

Without actual budget numbers or adjusting for inflation, this line of comparison is moot. I get what you're trying to convey, but there's no reference point since percentages alone don't tell the whole story. You're missing any solid correlation.

Without actual budget numbers or adjusting for inflation, this line of comparison is moot. I get what you're trying to convey, but there's no reference point since percentages alone don't tell the whole story. You're missing any solid correlation.

That may be true. I am just giving the idea. I am not looking to prove 100%. Just as long as people can recognize my thought. I understand that money then is different then money today and there are different variables.

That may be true. I am just giving the idea. I am not looking to prove 100%. Just as long as people can recognize my thought. I understand that money then is different then money today and there are different variables.

I think I get your point now - they had more money (relatively speaking) in 1969 and were therefore able to do more? At first I read it as the opposite.

That's how I took it, though initially, it did read like you were saying that NASA had the equivalent of less money and yet still managed to design/develop everything needed to get to the moon. Which would say a lot about drive, motivation, etc. But, rather, this just underscores that this endeavor is extremely expensive, and all altruistic ideals aside, it ain't gonna happen again unless the purse strings are loosened. A lot. That all ties back to the points made earlier - it would be nice if NASA could do all these things and put more effort into deeper space exploration for the sheer science of it. But, as NASA is a public organization, funded by a fickle population that have a lot of other needs, those sort of expenditures are extremely tough to justify.

However - and this is not intended to be political in any way, so please don't make it so - President Trump just told the crew of the ISS that he wants to put Americans on Mars in his first term, second at the latest. Odds of a 2nd term aside, I wonder if that hints at shift in spending priorities that might lead to bolstering NASA going forward. Perhaps he means that Musk will handle the logistics, or perhaps its just bluster. But hopefully, it means re-prioritizing NASA (though not holding my breath yet). Going back to the very original idea in this thread, in retrospect of the degree of accomplishment that brought NASA to the moon in less than a decade, it is somewhat disappointing that NASA's Mars timetable is out into the 2030s. However, people need to realize the herculean effort that NASA pulled off in the '60s was astounding, even by today's standards. It was driven by intense political pressure, a dedicated national will to achieve what hadn't been done before, and (just as importantly) the funding to back it up. A more reasonable / conventional engineering timeline would be much more like what NASA is proposing now, even if what they did back then makes it seem mild.

That's how I took it, though initially, it did read like you were saying that NASA had the equivalent of less money and yet still managed to design/develop everything needed to get to the moon. Which would say a lot about drive, motivation, etc. But, rather, this just underscores that this endeavor is extremely expensive, and all altruistic ideals aside, it ain't gonna happen again unless the purse strings are loosened. A lot. That all ties back to the points made earlier - it would be nice if NASA could do all these things and put more effort into deeper space exploration for the sheer science of it. But, as NASA is a public organization, funded by a fickle population that have a lot of other needs, those sort of expenditures are extremely tough to justify.

However - and this is not intended to be political in any way, so please don't make it so - President Trump just told the crew of the ISS that he wants to put Americans on Mars in first term, second at the latest. Odds of a 2nd term aside, I wonder if that hints at shift in spending priorities that might lead to bolstering NASA going forward. Perhaps he means that Musk will handle the logistics, or perhaps its just bluster. But hopefully, it means re-prioritizing NASA (though not holding my breath yet). Going back to the very original idea in this thread, in retrospect of the degree of accomplishment that brought NASA to the moon in less than a decade, it is somewhat disappointing that NASA's Mars timetable is out into the 2030s. However, people need to realize the herculean effort that NASA pulled off in the '60s was astounding, even by today's standards. It was driven by intense political pressure, a dedicated national will to achieve what hadn't been done before, and (just as importantly) the funding to back it up. A more reasonable / conventional engineering timeline would be much more like what NASA is proposing now, even what they did back then makes it seem mild.

that is a great statement!!! :cool:

I read somewhere that the footage of the moon was shot in some warehouse?? Not sure exactly, but just remember reading about it or seeing it on TV awhile back.
I read a lot of things. Some are fantastic, some are realistic. The best things are not only unbelievable but also thoroughly proven.

Expressed differently by Kipling & Sturgeon : 80-90% of everything we read is crap.

I read somewhere that the footage of the moon was shot in some warehouse?? Not sure exactly, but just remember reading about it or seeing it on TV awhile back.

Please Please Please........If you think its fake then are you saying the entire American Public was lied to? What about all the rocket launches and the rentry video???? How are you into rocketry when you think the moon missions were faked?

Please Please Please........If you think its fake then are you saying the entire American Public was lied to? What about all the rocket launches and the rentry video???? How are you into rocketry when you think the moon missions were faked?

I think AB was just referencing another source, not that he actually believes it.

There are lots of crackpot conspiracy theories regarding the Apollo program. Let's not get mired in that. In fact, let's not bring that up ever again...:cool:

Back