Loc H45 Hi-Tech

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
Been working on a LOC Precision Hi-tech H45 for maiden flight tomorrow and during Ejection charge testing -Tested with 0.7gr - charge was good.
But upon inspection - using two 2X56 pins really dorked up the payload tube, aarggh. Think I'm going to post in David McCann's thread what would change if you started over...cardboard is not very forgiving

Unfortunately the payload tube is pretty short and need the pins to keep the cone on to get the harness / blanket and Chute stuffed in there even with a tight burrito. Ultimately need to make smaller harness, slightly smaller blanket.

Maybe I will use some external masking tape but not sure the cone would stay on. I've never used strips of tape on the outside.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492886429.469877.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492886444.165691.jpg

Nose cone RTx tracker mod.
Reason for the funky hole shape is to fit the tracker / battery in.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492886581.010859.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492886535.050266.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492886611.564249.jpg

For cardboard rockets I use friction fit for the nose cone. Shear pins are for rigid materials with no give.
My High Tech has 35 flights on it ranging from 1200 feet on a G64, around 3000 feet on a large H and almost 6000 feet on a research I85 (580 N-s).

I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me. That 2.6" tubing is really wimpy. Reinforcing the holes with CA does not help. Thicker cardboard, like the 2.2" and 1.6", can withstand the shear stress.

I countersunk some thin brass disks into the nosecone to act as a shearing plane. This seems to work with my wimpy 4" cardboard rocket.

I like your switch for the tracker. I need to wire up something like that for my nosecone bays.

I like my Hi-Tech. "Woody" doesn't have any epoxy.......
flys great and never had a problem.

woody 1.JPG

woody 2.JPG

I like my Hi-Tech. "Woody" doesn't have any epoxy.......
flys great and never had a problem.

Nice! And less sanding then the jumbo Darkstar.

I ended up cutting down the harness and will change to smaller Kevlar if I can, used 2 fewer quick links and packed the burrito REALLY tight, then tape friction the NC and I think we are in business.

I'll report back tomorrow or
Monday on the H45 flight

Hi Tech H45... Fun rocket. I flew mine repeatedly on bigger and bigger motors... up to a J350. Then on a J570 I had the fortune of receiving a surprise 0 second delay element... So she blew apart near the end of the burn. She was honkin' though. Would have made it through the flight if it wasn't for that pesky AT delay.

Hi Tech H45... Fun rocket. I flew mine repeatedly on bigger and bigger motors... up to a J350. Then on a J570 I had the fortune of receiving a surprise 0 second delay element... So she blew apart near the end of the burn. She was honkin' though. Would have made it through the flight if it wasn't for that pesky AT delay.

Ohh, hadn't thought of I's and J's! Bet those were fun flights.

FLIGHT REPORT:
Well flew first thing this morning at 3 Oaks, weather was perfect but some rockets started drifting over flight line so I thought I would angle the launch rod 5 or so degrees away - wrong thing to do on a long burn motor! I started to arc away from us as the H45 kept burning, propelling the rocket further away. Landed 2200' away and altitude was only 2586'. Overall a very fun motor - this was actually an H45-10 but they are now plugged. Dual deploy did great, RTx in the nose cone worked great as well.

It lives to fly another day (which I have another H45 in the 29mm version). It can definitely take a lot more punch, but I love long burns.

Back