3D Onboard Video via dual 808 cams?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabernut

Reaction score
I picked up these two 120deg 720p 808s (guts only) with the idea of doing a stereo onboard launch video. :cool:

The idea was easier than the implementation as I've been trying to figure out the best way of accomplishing this setup for a 3" airframe.

Here are the two cams that I have

Using some scrap balsa, I started making a "tray" to hold them as well as something to hold the lenses firmly and perfectly aligned.
Having each lens perfectly aligned is crucial to making a 3D video that won't give you a headache.

This is turning out to be a bit harder than I thought. I'll get something set up in the end but I thought I'd bounce the idea off you all since I'm sure there are better ideas out there.

The tray in the above photo won't fit perpendicular inside a 3" tube, it might have to stick out a little. Maybe I can make a special coupler that will slide in at the separation point?

I'm curious to hear how well this works. I'm toying with the idea of mounting 808s on opposite sides of a rocket that I need to be draggier and generating a 3d video. It'll almost certainly be headache inducing though...

I did some more testing. If one lens is ever-so-slightly rotated on the "depth" axis, the result is going to look weird for your eyes. Right now I'm using a video editing program to merge the L and R images side-by-side into a Google Cardboard-compatible 3D video since that is what I can test with. The 120 deg field of view is perfect though. Another challenge is making sure both cameras record with equal white balance or it's going to take some real effort balancing the tone in post-processing.

Do you have any guidance on simply breaking open an 808 camera and getting it to work with the lens pointed in other directions? The keychain camera as sold in the casing is not optimal for Rocketry use. Would love some instruction/direction in taking it out of casing, maybe putting the guts in a payload section, with lens either pointed sideways like a porthole, or with a small fairing not much larger than a launch lug staring aft.

For me, I afraid once I open the casing I won't be able to get it to work, turn on and off, that kind of basic stuff which you have clearly mastered since you are doing it with TWO CAMERAS,!

No no, I didn't crack them open, I bought them like this. I was thinking of trying with my cheapo one though as I can see there are two tiny screws on one end. Only one way to find out...

Do you have any guidance on simply breaking open an 808 camera and getting it to work with the lens pointed in other directions? The keychain camera as sold in the casing is not optimal for Rocketry use. Would love some instruction/direction in taking it out of casing, maybe putting the guts in a payload section, with lens either pointed sideways like a porthole, or with a small fairing not much larger than a launch lug staring aft.

For me, I afraid once I open the casing I won't be able to get it to work, turn on and off, that kind of basic stuff which you have clearly mastered since you are doing it with TWO CAMERAS,!

The easiest way to do this is with an extension cable for the lens. You can but all the guys back in the case to avoid damaging them. It's really quite easy, this is how a do it for my camera shroud. Take a look at my store, https://www.LiquidFyre-Rocketry.com .

I have also installed 808 cameras out of the case in real tight spaces. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=780015

Last edited:
I can't help you with your alignment/WB issues, but why not mount the "guts" back to back to get it to fit inside your 3" tube? Of course, the lens cables might be a little short to turn them to the right direction then. :confused2:

Yup, I'm thinking I should have got the longer (6"?) extensions so I could mount them to the tube wall or to an av bay.

Oh well, I'll work with what I've got. Ive got about 3 weeks until the next club launch so I'll have to put something together by then.

Here's what I'm going to settle on for now to try this out. I have an av bay that I'm going to re-purpose to hold these cameras as kind of a 6" extension to a nose cone. Sure could be done in a much smaller package, but for now this will work just to make sure the whole idea works.

Here is where they will sit, in the center of the av bay, with the lenses sticking out through two 1cm holes.

This is the "rack" that will hold the camera lenses straight and aligned. Also an upper sleeve that will connect to the nose cone. Note the tiny slots to allow for the data cables not to be pinched.

Here it is all together. The lens rack will be trimmed down and a shroud will be placed on top next.

I'll see if I can get a short test video and post it up here soon

Update! I finished building the 3D camera mount inside a mini payload bay. More or less an extension to the nose cone.

I also completed editing some test footage together. Looks OK for now, I might have to fine tune the alignment a bit, but it works. I've tested it on my Google Cardboard-compatible viewer and looks good.

[youtube]kqf4EkvNMJA[/youtube]

Wha hey! I finally got to try this at a launch. I set it up on my 3" Optima and launched it on a CTI G54. That moonburner got pretty hot. Could hardly touch the case when I got it back. Anyway...

Anyone else have a cardboard-style 3D viewer? I think it turned out well. :cool: Really cool in fact. If you have a viewer, it would be cool to get some feedback as you never know how well it turns out for others.

[youtube]ZU7TplAKE0E[/youtube]

Back