QCRS Mini Midwest Power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
QCRS will be hosting our annual Mini Midwest Power

Where: Princeton Illinois
Dates: Saturday and Sunday May 27 and May 28
Range opens at 9:00 am both days
Standing waiver to: 16,000 MSL

Onsite Vendor: Wildman Hobbies
Onsite Manufacturers: One Bad Hawk, MAC Performance Rocketry

Come out and fly at a preview of Midwest Power in the fall at one of the premier flying fields in the Midwest.

OH YEAH!
Chelsea and I will be there! Can't wait to fly with my girl again, thanks for hosting this.
We have two different flight plans depending on what we finish, more to come on that.
Wondering who else is attending and what they are flying...
Let's hear from everyone.

unfortunately won't be there. Fly something cool for me!

Can't wait should be a good time, since I only own 1 it's an easy choice will be flying my MAC fire stick xl at least twice, once again on same motor as my L2 and then push it a little harder and go for my first Mile-Mach.

Hopefully not as windy as last time

Will be going in the Wednesday before for YAKS (Yet Another Knee Surgery) as the doctor is trying to fix two meniscus tears in the natural knee. We'll see but he's highly recommending minimal weight and keeping it elevated for 6 or 7 days, so likely will have to pass on this MMWP.

Being a "Holiday Weekend", the wife has plans for me to go "up north" vs. my desired rocketry plans going down south. Bummer! Have a blast boys & girls!

We're Really looking forward to meeting and flying with everyone. Getting out your way to fly has been on the list for a long time. We'll still be talking about this one long after its over! :wink:

Ohhhh mannnn,,,,
wwooooppppppp,,,,,
I'll be there fer sure...
What a fun time this one is....
I just can't wait.........lol...

Teddy

You're not kidding Gary..
I vote we have a big launch once a week,, lol...
Jason will kill me,, lol..

Teddy

I am moving into my new house the Wednesday before MMWP. My presence may be a bit more limited than in years past. I will still do my best to get there to see everyone. Can't miss an opportunity to hug Teddy!

I am moving into my new house the Wednesday before MMWP. My presence may be a bit more limited than in years past. I will still do my best to get there to see everyone. Can't miss an opportunity to hug Teddy!

Heyyy,,,
You said none would know,,, lol...

Teddy

I sure hope everything is going great with the new house Jason...
Be patient,,,
All will come in time...

I have an upcoming work trip to South Africa that I hope will be completed by then or better yet put off till afterward so I can attend.

Oh snap.... The 28th??? Hmmm... wedding anniversary or rocket launch? mmmmm.. yeah, I don't see this one going over well.

Does QCRS have deals with any hotel or prefer to support one over another? I only live bit over an hour away but for as cheap as they are worth it not to have to drive. That and never know what is gonna happen at Wildmans!!

Does QCRS have deals with any hotel or prefer to support one over another? I only live bit over an hour away but for as cheap as they are worth it not to have to drive. That and never know what is gonna happen at Wildmans!!

What happens at Wildman's stays at Wildman's :wink:

The Days Inn is not bad and price is reasonable.
There are a few others as well.

Especially if you go to Tim's Saturday evening!

View attachment 317981

With a bottle of Rumple Minze, Tim'll follow you anywhere.
He bought me a shot at MWP last year. Tasty.
My weakness is a good IPA.
Don't ask me about the bottle of peppermint schnapps on a trip to see
downtown Chicago one Christmas....or the bottle of Southern Comfort
on a fishing trip to Key West in the early 70s. I shoulda known better
with the schnapps, but was only a 17 year old with the Southern Comfort.
I'll attribute it to the passing of Janis Joplin.

Have stayed at Days Inn during numerous MWPs, Locksmith.
It's the place to be. Accommodations are OK.
Wi-fi gets overloaded though.

Southern Comfort. Ohhhhhhhh......my head.....

"I can't go fishing today, dad. I think I have the flu."

Helping J do some moving on the 26th, will be there for a couple of hours in the AM on the 27th, and will be back on Sunday. Will have to miss Tim's cookout, I have a baby shower to attend. :)

My sister postponed her trip to see me until July. looks like I may be coming down to fly after all.

Welcome to QCRS, we are a group Tripoli (prefecture #39) and NAR fliers that concentrate on High Power Rocketry. We conduct our launches under Tripoli Research Rules. We follow Safe Practices and Launch Guidelines set forth by the Tripoli Rocketry Association for Research launches. We have some general information below that you are encouraged to read over before you come and fly with us. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to QCRS Board Members.

LAT/LONG:
Princeton, IL launch site (41°29'17.5"N 89°30'04.7"W)

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:
From I-80: Take the IL-26 exit at Princeton and go north approximately 6.5 miles to 2400 N and turn left (west) on 2400 N. Proceed west approximately 2 miles on 2400 N to 1850 E. Turn left (south). In about a quarter mile you should see the QCRS set up along the road.

From I-88: Drive south on IL-26 approximately 22.5 miles South of I-88 to 2400 N and turn right (west) on 2400 N. Proceed west approximately 2 miles on 2400 N to 1850 E. Turn left (south). In about a quarter mile you should see the QCRS set up along the road.

WAIVER:
Standing 16,000 feet with no windows. If you are caught breaking the waiver, you will be asked to leave and you will not be welcomed back.

GENERAL INFO:
1. You must be either NAR or TRA certified to fly HPR: any motor “H Class” or larger. You must fly within your certification level, unless you are attempting a certification flight.
2. You must be a member of QCRS to fly with us. Membership fees are $30.00 annually. If you are a current member, you do NOT pay launch fees month to month. We only charge members to fly at Midwest Power (as this is a very large launch with expenses above and beyond a typical monthly launch).
3. Children under the age of 18 do not pay launch fees.
4. Children will remain behind the flight line at all times
a. The only exception here are documented Tripoli Mentoring Program participants between 12-17 years of age and accompanied by their mentor. See Tripoli’s website for more information on the Tripoli Mentoring Program: https://www.tripoli.org/TMP
5. If you are a member of a local school, college, or university, QCRS would like to assist in making sure your group is able to fly. Please contact the QCRS Bod BEFORE you show up at a monthly launch. We cannot accommodate teams unless we know what yours needs are. It was Louis Pasteur who said, “Fortune favors the prepared mind.” Simply put, COME PREPARED!
6. Do not drive or park in any of the crop fields.
a. The only exception is at Midwest Power if we have permission to park in the field.
7. Do not park your vehicle on private driveways
8. Do not litter, take your trash with you.
9. Respect the other flyers, their personal property, and our land owner’s property.

LAUNCH PREP AND LAUNCHING:
1. QCRS has typical 1010 and 1515 rail sizes available for high power as well as some smaller rods for low power flights.
2. Do not install igniters in any rocket motors until you are at the pad.
3. Do not arm any altimeters or timers until your rocket is on the pad and pointed upright.
4. Arm any electronics BEFORE installing igniters.
5. If you are flying any “Sparky” motor, you must alert the LCO ahead of time and have a fire crew ready to assist in the event of a field fire.
6. We reserve the right to ban all “Sparky” motors if the field conditions are too dry.

I have an upcoming work trip to South Africa that I hope will be completed by then or better yet put off till afterward so I can attend.

My South Africa trip will be after Mini Midwest Power, so I will not be flying in a jet-lagged state. Just checked the club website and have a question: is there any registration procedure or volunteer sign up like there was at Midwest Power?

My South Africa trip will be after Mini Midwest Power, so I will not be flying in a jet-lagged state. Just checked the club website and have a question: is there any registration procedure or volunteer sign up like there was at Midwest Power?

Negative, Mini Midwest Power is a bit more informal. Some folks show up early on Saturday to help us set up the range. Other folks hang loose on Sunday to help us tear down the range. I can tell you any help tearing down, or setting up is always appreciated.

Edit: In regards to registration, we may just pass the hat for some $ to help cover the costs of the porta-potties.

What is everyone planning to fly???

Last edited:
Will anyone be onsite Friday night? We're hoping to set up my Dad's tower Friday evening so we won't be in the way setting up Saturday.

Back