Chute Release - Another Application

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
So I was mulling over several discussions where someone had a high altitude flight and experienced difficulty when an inadvertent apogee deployment took place. Then the idea struck me. Add a Chute Release to the main and if you get an unplanned apogee deployment, you have a fail safe that might save you. Heck, I don't see why this would not pass a L3 certification as you are taking an extra step to ensure you recover on the field. Set the Chute Release to 100' below your lowest mains event and you are covered.

Discuss...

Use two CRs linked together so only one has to work for the mains to be released.

I really like this idea. I've had a chute release activate while stuck in a body tube before when the laundry wasn't completely ejected. Essentially, that would occur if everything went to plan by your proposed method. This sounds like a great way to insure that popping the main at apogee doesn't result in a lost rocket.

Use two CRs linked together so only one has to work for the mains to be released.

This is a well known technique. I remember K'Tesh mentioned this way back when Chute Release was in pre-production.

As far as using a CR(or two :eyeroll:) as a back-up in case there is early or reversed ejection, I think that would be a prudent choice if you really needed to make sure.

I can't see why it would be a problem for certification. Backups have to be in place anyway for L3 correct? Only downside would be making a cato $130 more expensive.

This is a well known technique. I remember K'Tesh mentioned this way back when Chute Release was in pre-production.

As far as using a CR(or two :eyeroll:) as a back-up in case there is early or reversed ejection, I think that would be a prudent choice if you really needed to make sure.

I can't see why it would be a problem for certification. Backups have to be in place anyway for L3 correct? Only downside would be making a cato $130 more expensive.

Some believe that this lead to an increased tangle opportunity. My thoughts along that line are to tie a loop in the cord just away from the chute attach point and use longer tethers so they're more likely to fall away if one fails (Mine never failed while I had it, but It does happen occasionally).

. . . Only downside would be making a cato $130 more expensive.

JLCR would probably survive a CATO unharmed. Last year I had a Mega Der Red Max come down ballistic (CTI VMax ejection charge failure) and had to dig out the JLCR that was buried about 6" in the ground. Cleaned it off and it worked fine.

Some believe that this lead to an increased tangle opportunity. My thoughts along that line are to tie a loop in the cord just away from the chute attach point and use longer tethers so they're more likely to fall away if one fails (Mine never failed while I had it, but It does happen occasionally).

Like a loop of kevlar cord longer than the shroud lines that will replace the supplied tether? So upon release it will fly back away and not tangle?

It's a great product, I can't wait to try it out.

Same here. After digging my Jart out from ballistic return due to a failed motor ejection, the CR came thru without a scratch. Tough they are.

Ben

Like a loop of kevlar cord longer than the shroud lines that will replace the supplied tether? So upon release it will fly back away and not tangle?

Yes, just like that. I do it this way when I want the shrouds to unroll but the canopy to stay closed to get a 'streamer' effect. Once the JLCR releases, the inflation of the canopy is pretty rapid and the 'pop' will fling the JLCR clear and prevent tangles. I've used it this way several times. I keep several different lengths of Kevlar loops in my box for each chute that I want to use it that way.

Back