Round lipo cells

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought this battery to power an Eggfinder in a 24mm project. It is approx 17mm x 21mm x 40mm and approx 25g. There are a lot of 1S options for your Quark that will fit in a 24mm tube.

Ya they are a bit heavy. But I am going to be putting the 6 grain CTI's in the rocket so not to worried about weight also egg timer says that the egg finder should have a minimum 250 mah 7.4v battery. I figured that a bit less than 2 oz's and 1200 mah would be a good fit.

Ya they are a bit heavy. But I am going to be putting the 6 grain CTI's in the rocket so not to worried about weight also egg timer says that the egg finder should have a minimum 250 mah 7.4v battery. I figured that a bit less than 2 oz's and 1200 mah would be a good fit.
You have a 1s/3.7v battery there.

Has anyone tried these. I am going to work up a 24mm minimum with dual deploy and a tracker with one or two of these. Use a Quark and and Egg Finder. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-1s-15c-round-cell.html

DO NOT use a 1S battery with the EggFinder. You don't have enough headroom on the voltage and you will reach the brownout voltage on the regulator when you churn through 1/2 the battery capacity. Do yourself a favor and get a 7.4V 2S cell. If you get https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017GXRIAI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 you can use one on the quark and one on the Eggfinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried these. I am going to work up a 24mm minimum with dual deploy and a tracker with one or two of these. Use a Quark and and Egg Finder. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-1s-15c-round-cell.html

No, you need a 2S battery for an EggFinder for reliable functioning. I don't know about the quark. Look in Cris' instructions. An unfortunate fellow lost an L3 certification attempt because his EggFinder croaked out on a 1S battery. Kurt

I am going to solder two of them in series. I am trying them because they are 15mm in diameter and seem perfect for a 24mm minumum 6 grain rocket

I am going to solder two of them in series. I am trying them because they are 15mm in diameter and seem perfect for a 24mm minumum 6 grain rocket

Be certain to have a 3 wire balance plug soldered in the correct place..
You must give a balance charger access to both cells individually so it can properly balance them...
Lipo battery technology was a game changer when it came out,,
not so much because of "no more memory" though that is an equal quality for me,,
it's because there has never been anywhere near the energy density achieved in any other battery chemistry before,,
not even close......

Make absolutely certain you can balance charge your pack,, that's awfully important...

Teddy

1s batteries work just fine in the eggfinder - multiple flights and no problems including one to 13K feet.

BB yours failed because it was almost completely discharged (3.65v instead of 4.2).

2s is better because the ejection charge will fire quicker. In a fixed system like this, P=(V*V)/R so if resistance (R) stays constant, the higher the voltage (V) the higher the power (P) delivered. So it heats up quicker. And the quicker the ejection charge fires the lower the chances of a brown out of the electronics.

Back