Good "Low and Slow" rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to echo the others, mini fat boy(stock), baby bertha, big bertha, crayons(flying colors).
Rex

A good demo might be the C11 Big Daddy (or easier to build rocket that size), low but comes down slow also and tend to drift, but dramatic, followed by something that goes much higher on an A, but with streamer so it comes down near. Recover both after if needed. I don't know if the students can help but they probably would like to.

If you van get your hands on one, maybe a Mega Mosquito would be a good one. I've not flown mine one a D12 but baser on the E9 (yes, i like playng E9 roulette) flights that I have done, a D12 may give you a good low'n'slow flight.

Very cool... I like It...!!! Low and slow is the essence of LPR and unique dynamics apply. An E engine and 200'... now that's very unique.

Here's some low and slow flights I've done and the altitude they have obtained, measured via altimeter:

Estes 2.6" V2 w/ Estes C11-3: 200'
Estes Saturn V w/ Aerotech E18-4:325'
Launch Pad AGM-78 w/ Estes D12-3: 250'
Estes Quinstar w/ C6-0: approx. 200' (no altimeter)

Here's some low and slow flights I've done and the altitude they have obtained, measured via altimeter:

Estes 2.6" V2 w/ Estes C11-3: 200'
Estes Saturn V w/ Aerotech E18-4:325'
Launch Pad AGM-78 w/ Estes D12-3: 250'
Estes Quinstar w/ C6-0: approx. 200' (no altimeter)
Estes Der Red Max w/ B6-2: 200'

Squirrel Works… you are my hero…
We have ‘Rocketry Forums’ for LPR, MPR and HPR… WHY NOT a special forum for “Low and Slow Rockets”???

This is a unique field within rocketry itself. Not after altitude …but low and slow with total control and apogee always below 1000’ or even 500’ maximum.
My goal is the two’s… 200’, hover for 2 seconds [on power] and deploy recover chute.

Hi Howie, you are already in my dream world flying at 200’ AGL. I’m still removing trees from my test area and working up Spectra numbers for A8-3 flights. ‘Low and Slow’ is a unique and intriguing area of rocketry flights. I wonder when the professional rocket mfr will see the light and the market for designs specific to Low and Slow? The kids and schools, scouting, etc will jump all over them. Altitude hunters run the present day industry, but IMO the future is in ‘Low and Slow Rocketry’. Some day we might even have a forum specific to ‘Low and Slow’… ahhhh but to dream. :rolleyes:

Low and slow is the way to go!

Most of my rockets (all of my scratch-builds) are low and slow rockets. I love watching a great big rocket lumbering off the pad and deploying in plain sight. Much more entertaining than a split-second of noise and a quickly dwindling speck in the sky, in my opinion!

Our team built a 12.75" x 122" upscale of the Binder Design Dragonfly that went to ~800' on a K motor - with the apogee only 80x the height of the rocket I think that is pretty darned low...

[video=youtube;ygMil4CAt34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygMil4CAt34[/video]

Dan thank-you, the video made my day to see those ‘Rock-It-Girls’ do their stuff. Low and Slow is the key to STEM interest for kids. It wets their appetite for more serious rocketry adventures. These kids will NEVER become curb-sitters in life. You have taught them to embrace their future… good job!!!

I'll echo Big Bertha on a B6-2 or C6-3 but one no one has mentioned yet that makes a really cool demo model is the Maxi Alpha 3 on a C11.

On the saucer theme, kids get a kick out of the dollar store snowflake candy dish conversion (see thread by George Gassaway here on TRF). I put a 24mm mount in mine and usually fly it on a D12-0.

Actually a Mega Mosquito on a C11 might be pretty good as well.

Dan thank-you, the video made my day to see those ‘Rock-It-Girls’ do their stuff. Low and Slow is the key to STEM interest for kids. It wets their appetite for more serious rocketry adventures. These kids will NEVER become curb-sitters in life. You have taught them to embrace their future… good job!!!

Thank you for the kind words! We have had a lot of fun with rockets, and the girls are already talking about putting these experiences on their college admission papers...

I should add the Estes Shuttle Xpress to this list, and I have proof! It flew to 97 ft. on a B6-4 and ejected the two shuttles which glide about as well as bricks. But my daughter loved it.

FlightGraph.png

Excellent… thanks Professor, I love it. How would you rate the Shuttle Express for young kids age 5 and 7 new to rockets???
They already have a Flying Colors and Rookie. I use a Sizzler to test wind on A8-3 before they launch.

My daughter was 7 when she built the Shuttle Xpress. Even though she has since built a 4' tall cluster-powered rocket from scratch, the Shuttle Xpess is still one of her favorite rockets. It was easy to build, looks cool, and it's fun to fly because of the shuttles. But, like I mentioned, don't expect too much from the "gliders."

For low and slow flights the Semroc SPEV is a good rocket with two transitions and an interesting paint scheme. If you can find one, the Centuri Flying Saucer (5325) or the Estes Snitch are good choices.

When I was 10-11 in 1969-70, I flew a Big Bertha a few times on (BION) a 1/2A6-2.

It didn't get more than maybe 20 feet off the ground, but the flight was perfect: ignition, boost, delay, nose-over and ejection. The chute popped open maybe 15 feet up and the landing was fine.

I wouldn't recommend it, but it can be done.

Bertha flights on B4-2s are actually quite fun.

Thanks everyone for your input!!

Launch went off today with GREAT success. Sent up the Art Applewhite 13mm Cinco (1/2A-3T), Estes Quinstar(B6-0, B6-0), Estes Curvilinear(A10-3T x 2), Estes Baby Bertha(A8-3, B4-2), and Estes Shuttle Xpress(B4-2, B4-2).

Cinco was a perfect first flight- maybe 30-40 feet, enough to wow the kids safely and check the wind.
Quinstar was fantastic. On a B6-0 it goes high enough to be impressive but still low enough that it was "jog a few paces away to pick it ***.

Baby Bertha is a FUN little rocket. On the A motor it was a great flight (even though the chute didn't fully deploy) and on the B motor it went well (though it made me nervous with how close it got to the trees). I kinda wonder what would happen if I gave it some nose weight and stuck a D in it....

Curvilinear was also a solid performer. Great flights, except the last one where the NC was in too tight. Lawn dart but undamaged.

Kids had fun, I had fun, it was a good day.

Back