Suggestions for models to upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered stuff to start a 4" Solar Warrior. Should be a real fun build.

Which Solar Warrior? The little one with the tubes on the fins or the newer one with the plates on the fins?

I wonder if the Nova/Nimbus nose cone could be reasonably 3D printed. That basic problem is a limitation in upscaling the Attack Craft Orion, Manta Bomber, etc as well. I guess the trick there is creating the STL file to print...

Not sure how big you want to go...but you got skills, why not put them to use...:)

As the guys said...for Estes upscales......this one is hard to beat (think this is Steve Pollak's from SRA):

2006-02-18 SRA February Rocket Launch 419.jpg Steve%20Pollak's%20Upscale%20Orbital%20Transport.jpg 2007-08-11-11-43-35_2.jpg

As many times as it has been done, I think the Mars Lander is a good one too.
View attachment 318406

I'd love to do an Upscale Mars Snooper myself.

View attachment 318407
Hey, come to think of it.... they're all good.
Have fun whatever you choose.

Last edited:
I did an upscale of the Estes Ramjet a couple years ago; if you go up to a BT80 tube for the outer body, the core tube becomes a BT55. That works OK, but is tough to pack a chute in (the little Ramjet had the same issue). I built mine fairly light, so it performs well on a D12.

I'm thinking of building an upscale Ramjet. Did you do anything anything extra for fin support? They look vulnerable. What engines have you flown it on? Is a 15" chute good enough for it?

thanks - mark

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE....

Upscale Comanche 3.

I'm thinking that would be capable of some serious altitude...

I'm thinking of building an upscale Ramjet. Did you do anything anything extra for fin support? They look vulnerable. What engines have you flown it on? Is a 15" chute good enough for it?

thanks - mark

I've flown it exclusively, it would appear, on D12-5 motors:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/ramjet-2x.html

Mine is built exactly like the kit, structurally. Its one of the first upscales I did, and simply enlarged without making structural changes. But there haven't been any issues. Chute size depends on final weight, landing surface, what you're comfortable with. I use a thin-mil 18" chute, since it packs small.

Mine is built exactly like the kit, structurally. Its one of the first upscales I did, and simply enlarged without making structural changes. But there haven't been any issues. Chute size depends on final weight, landing surface, what you're comfortable with. I use a thin-mil 18" chute, since it packs small.

Thanks Rick. I'll add the parts to my next rocket order and see if I can get this one together.

cheers - mark

Since I am nearing the end on my Devastator build (despite not yet getting it into the air :p details...) I am looking at what I want to do next. I like the modeling side of the hobby, and was thinking of taking an old Estes (or equally cool older model) and upscaling it.

I know a number of people have upscaled the QCC Explorer (which I totally dig), so I'd like to do something different.

I have sitting in my fleet an Estes Trident II that I really like. I am building an Estes Blackhawk which I think could be cool, but tricky. I also have a Sirius Re-fit U.S.S. Atlantis. Past rockets that have passed on to the great corn field and/or tree in the sky include an Estes Ramjet which would be a fairly straight forward upscale ( I say not having ever done such a thing ).

Do people have any recommendations for a cool kit from days gone past that could be turned up a notch? I am curious what else is out there that I missed in all my years away. Thanks!

I've done a 3 X RAMJET as well as a 6 X RAMJET. The 3X was pretty heavy with a PVC main tube and 4" skin for the outer rings. I flew it a couple of times on an I284 AT. The 6x had a half failed flight on a Kosdon L1600 (nosecone came off during assent) but it flew a bunch of times on AT K550-S with the 6 second well delay just about perfect for a scale appearing flight.

Do an upscale of the RAMJET. The flight characteristics are the same so it's a very good flyer :)

The Binder Design Dragonfly upscales nicely - this is our 5x version. It has flown on a Fisher Research K3800 and an Aerotech L850W.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483196189.426106.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483196389.747214.jpg

Back