Blue Baboon One

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
At LDRS I stopped by the AMW trailer on Thursday when they were trying to put the kits together. I went back on Friday and bought the Blue Baboon kit and was told I had bought the very first one sold! :smile: Link

I haven't done a build thread in quite a while and figured if there was a reason to do one, having the first kit of a new design was a pretty good reason.

Now, I've been home from LDRS for a week and the kit is still in the orginial bags. At this rate I might not get it finished before the crops are off and the fall flying at BattlePark starts up again. I'm hoping having this build thread will motivate me to keep at it. Comments, bumps, and pushes from other TRFs won't hurt either.

Parts pics will be coming soon.

The basics is a 3" DD kit with split fins and a 54mm hole. It has blue fiberglass tubes of course and a black nose cone and fins. I'm thinking this is going to be one sweet flier!

The 54mm Aeropac retainer has been ordered.

BTW, With the kit, I got RocketPoxy that I've never used before. I'm hoping it works as well as all ya all says it does.

I bought one as well, I hope to con my artist daughter into painting the blue baboon on the rocket. I use rocketpoxy for all the structural joints, and add dye to match the tube color for the fillets when desired.

At LDRS I stopped by the AMW trailer on Thursday when they were trying to put the kits together. I went back on Friday and bought the Blue Baboon kit and was told I had bought the very first one sold! :smile: Link

I haven't done a build thread in quite a while and figured if there was a reason to do one, having the first kit of a new design was a pretty good reason.

Now, I've been home from LDRS for a week and the kit is still in the orginial bags. At this rate I might not get it finished before the crops are off and the fall flying at BattlePark starts up again. I'm hoping having this build thread will motivate me to keep at it. Comments, bumps, and pushes from other TRFs won't hurt either.

Parts pics will be coming soon.

The basics is a 3" DD kit with split fins and a 54mm hole. It has blue fiberglass tubes of course and a black nose cone and fins. I'm thinking this is going to be one sweet flier!

The 54mm Aeropac retainer has been ordered.

BTW, With the kit, I got RocketPoxy that I've never used before. I'm hoping it works as well as all ya all says it does.

Everyone seems to love that split fin design concept....it's everywhere.

I've been using RocketPoxy on the Saturn 1 B build.
Good stuff, as thick as tar, little harder to mix the two parts together, even thicker than JB weld.... but good stuff.

I looked at that one, too. I like how the 'split fins' are cut from one piece of plate and are joined at the root edge. Should make building and alignment a breeze. Watching with interest.

ETA: You're going to LOVE the rocketpoxy! Love it for structural stuff. Lots of folks like it for fillets, too, but I prefer 4500.

Here's a couple of the package and parts. Got to start this build out right. Wouldn't want to disappoint anyone.

0419171915.jpg

0419171925a.jpg

Next step is to give them all a bath.

BTW, the Aeropac retainer didn't come with the kit, but was ordered special for it.

Blue Baboon is the kit name...correct?
I gotta better name for your rocket here....

From the Beatles' Yellow Submarine....
"Blue Meanie"

meanie-boss.png
Beatles-Mens-Blue-Meanie-Woven-Patch-White.jpg

25733d927cdddc70af0e3bfec8d7cf6d.jpg

O-Blue-terate them!

Last edited:
Jeff, that's going to be fun to watch! and MAXQ, that blue baboon rocks!! :) We all need to be out for it's maiden voyage!

Not to high jack Jeff's thread but... Kurt and I are building All Americans. I see a Blue Baboon vs All Americans drag race for the first Battle Park launch in the fall. Heck I might even get Elaine to build hers. Anyone else?

Ben

Blue Baboon is the kit name...correct?
I gotta better name for your rocket here....

From the Beatles' Yellow Submarine....
"Blue Meanie"

meanie-boss.png
Beatles-Mens-Blue-Meanie-Woven-Patch-White.jpg

25733d927cdddc70af0e3bfec8d7cf6d.jpg

O-Blue-terate them!

That is one trippy movie!

The kit looks sweet with the blue and black. If I had one I'd fly it unpainted.

Not to high jack Jeff's thread but... Kurt and I are building All Americans. I see a Blue Baboon vs All Americans drag race for the first Battle Park launch in the fall. Heck I might even get Elaine to build hers. Anyone else?

Ben

What kit is the All American...who makes it?

Ben

I'll gladly highjack Jeff's thread....

Ben, are you intending to use a colored or clear epoxy for the fillets on that? I don't think I'll be at the September launch but I'll join the fun in October or November.

Tim

A drag race....................
"And in this corner in the red white and blue...

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/all-american/

All American - Madcow.gif
Kit includes:
4 Inch Red Filament Wound 5:1 Ogive Nosecone W/Metal Tip
4 Inch G12 White Fiberglass Airframe 18 inches
4 Inch G12 White Fiberglass Coupler 9 inches
4 Inch G12 White Fiberglass Airframe 34 inches
54mm Motor Mount G12 Fiberglass 16 Inches
3 Blue G10 Fiberglass 1/8" Thick Fins
G10 Fiberglass Centering Rings
G10 Fiberglass Bulk Plates
Decals Red
This Kit Features
Beautiful color Parts
Standard Dual Deploy
Needs no paint
Precision routed fin slots
Flies on anything from an I to an L
Weight aprox 10 Lb
Over 6 Feet Tall
All Fiberglass design
Great for that Cert level 2

Last edited:
I'll gladly highjack Jeff's thread....

Ben, are you intending to use a colored or clear epoxy for the fillets on that? I don't think I'll be at the September launch but I'll join the fun in October or November.

Tim

Tim - What I would like to do a red, a white and a blue Rocketpoxy tinted fillets. I have Rocketpoxy red and blue tints but not a white. I haven't checked to see how close the red and blue tints are to the the rocket colors. Has anyone used any other tints with Rocketpoxy? If so, a link to another source for tints would be great.

I'm planning on clear coating the rocket.

Ben

Tim - What I would like to do a red, a white and a blue Rocketpoxy tinted fillets. I have Rocketpoxy red and blue tints but not a white. I haven't checked to see how close the red and blue tints are to the the rocket colors. Has anyone used any other tints with Rocketpoxy? If so, a link to another source for tints would be great.

I'm planning on clear coating the rocket.

Ben

Ben

Check with madcow. I bought red green blue yellow from rocketry warehouse before madcow picked them up. I think white would be tough because of the beige color at start.

Kevin

:pop: Better get back to providing us with more build pictures!!

Will do, when things slow down enough, my brother is visiting from Wis. the in-laws are coming for a week on the way back from Florida, and the contractor is dropping off materials to re-roof the house, all tomorrow!

Everything is washed and the switch band installed. Nothing special about that, just smear some Rocketpoxy on the coupler and slide the band in place, wipe off excess and check alignment in BT.

Once that is set up, I'll install the alignment pins. Pics for those!

OK, I've put off doing any more until I decide what to do with the nose cone.

I don't have anything I want to put into it right now, but I also don't like the idea of sealing everything off and not having the option later to add electronics/weights/etc. to it.

I could do something like this, https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?61797-Nose-cone-altimeter-bay&p=651768#post651768 and just use ring with threaded inserts and a cap for now and build what I want later.

Or I could do a cap and a sled similar to this right now but leave the electronics until later. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59050-Nose-cone-AV-bay-ideas&p=607380#post607380

Or I could put a 54mm tube down the center with a cap and add a sled for the tube later. Kind of like this since I saw how Vern Knowles uses that for Kate.

So, jump in and let me know what you recommend!

Thanks....

On my Trex I just did the cap with Inserts and then let it fly. I cut some aluminum to attach a sled to and didn't go further for now. However the option is there when I'm ready. Very wise choice you are making in my opinion.

Another consideration for mounting the nose cone bulkhead/e-bay sled involves JB welding small steel L shaped shelf supports or coupler nuts within the nose cone (as described and pictured by "wighty44" in a mangoose 54 build -https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?130487-Wayco-s-RW-Mongoose-54-build/page3&highlight=Wayco%27s+54+mongoose+build+thread -found in frame #77). The shelf supports or coupler nuts are aligned within the nose cone and affixed by JB weld and subsequently covered in a single layer of fiberglass cloth that is epoxy saturated. The bulkhead can then be simply attached by screws. I have successfully used this approach and affixed the nose cone tracker sled to the internal thread/nut section of the eye bolt in 3 rockets including a RW Blue Iguana which is very similar to the Blue Baboon.

Fred, L2
ROSCO member
KG4YGP

OK, I've put off doing any more until I decide what to do with the nose cone.

I don't have anything I want to put into it right now, but I also don't like the idea of sealing everything off and not having the option later to add electronics/weights/etc. to it.

I could do something like this, https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?61797-Nose-cone-altimeter-bay&p=651768#post651768 and just use ring with threaded inserts and a cap for now and build what I want later.

Or I could do a cap and a sled similar to this right now but leave the electronics until later. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59050-Nose-cone-AV-bay-ideas&p=607380#post607380

Or I could put a 54mm tube down the center with a cap and add a sled for the tube later. Kind of like this since I saw how Vern Knowles uses that for Kate.

So, jump in and let me know what you recommend!

Thanks....

I love the APE nose cone bays. Very nicely done. I've installed several different ones in fiberglass and plastic nose cones, they all work perfectly, and I really like how the MW switch standoff/mounting works. The parts are well made, and it's simple and robust.

https://ape-rc.com/#!/Head-End-Alti...Cones-Fiberglass/p/58765370/category=11909535

Last edited:
Another consideration for mounting the nose cone bulkhead/e-bay sled involves JB welding small steel L shaped shelf supports or coupler nuts within the nose cone (as described and pictured by "wighty44" in a mangoose 54 build -https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?130487-Wayco-s-RW-Mongoose-54-build/page3&highlight=Wayco%27s+54+mongoose+build+thread -found in frame #77). The shelf supports or coupler nuts are aligned within the nose cone and affixed by JB weld and subsequently covered in a single layer of fiberglass cloth that is epoxy saturated. The bulkhead can then be simply attached by screws. I have successfully used this approach and affixed the nose cone tracker sled to the internal thread/nut section of the eye bolt in 3 rockets including a RW Blue Iguana which is very similar to the Blue Baboon.

Fred, L2
ROSCO member
KG4YGP

I love the APE nose cone bays. Very nicely done. I've installed several different ones in fiberglass and plastic nose cones, they all work perfectly, and I really like how the MW switch standoff/mounting works. The parts are well made, and it's simple and robust.

https://ape-rc.com/#!/Head-End-Alti...Cones-Fiberglass/p/58765370/category=11909535

Guy's I like both of those. I guess it comes down to installing a ring with PEM nuts or threaded inserts or epoxy/glass threaded coupler nuts to the inside of the coupler.

I had considered doing both. putting the ring at the forward end of the nosecone coupler and running threaded rods from that to the coupler nuts epoxied near the aft end of the coupler and putting the cap over the end of the coupler tube for better sealing.

Fred, have you ever put any pressure sensitive electronics i.e. baro altimeter, in the nosecone? does having the cap with the gap between it's edge and the couple allow ejection pressure inside more then having the cap seated on the end of the coupler or against a ring?

Back