Rocket kit suggestions to reach a mile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im starting to lean towards that Vulcanite.

Fun kit ;)

14917647196_29bf8f5152_b.jpg

Had to go back and look at some of your earlier posts but I remember you now, we flew at the January SSS launch with you. My wife Sharon and I had the toy hauler trailer and flew a bunch of smaller rockets because of the clouds and rain that weekend. I had my Kick Asspire and Reduke with me, but couldn't fly them due to cloud cover. You flew an Aerotech Initiator a couple of times, I remember it because it was the first time I had seen the JL chute release operate.
I think the biggest rocket I flew was my dual deploy Argent on an H115 dark matter.
I looked up the LOC Vulcanite, it's right next to the Nuke Pro Max on their webpage. It's just a little more expensive, a little heavier and has a slightly higher coefficient of drag than the Nuke, but is basically the same airframe. You can easily modify the coupler in either kit to do dual deploy, and with a bit of work on the N/C, you could add the Eggfinder mini. I have never done that, just used one of my CSI tracker beacons for flights under 10k ft.
Whichever kit you decide on would easily go over your mile high goal. If you need any help with the Eggfinder, let me know at the May SSS launch and maybe I can give you a hand. I have built a dozen of them.

Yes, I do remember you guys! I got my L1 last month and Im really enjoying the hobby. Ill be out there in May, I guess I have a lot to think about. Im kinda getting the thought that with a payload itll be hard to reach a mile on an H. Great suggestions from everyone and I appreciate all the help.

Since there were only four fliers at that launch, it would be hard to miss us. You probably had Guy Smith sign off on your L1 too. Guy lent me my first 38mm Dr. Rockets casing for my L1 attempt back in 2011. It was the 38/240 casing and I flew an H123 in it. Small world, huh?
Yeah, you probably can't hit your mile with an H if you want to add an altimeter, battery and payload tube. My Nuke will only do about 4500 ft. on a big H motor. If you need a bigger casing, I have everything up to the 38/720.

Back