I REALLY need a tracker by this weekend

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, tough crowd. Lest we forget the excitement and enthusiasm of being a kid. Mostly adults responding with such a serious sentiment. I don't see anything wrong with this kids ambition. Hey rockets, I say light it! Tracker or not, send that sucker to the stratosphere! And if you lose it, you're out ten bucks for a motor and $4.63 in materials for a modified paper towel roll. Just gonna have to roll your friends couches a few more times or mow an extra lawn each month this year to recover the cost. Then on to bigger and better projects! Point is, not everyone needs to move at the speed of molasses to advance. Don't let the old-timers here slow you down with a kitchen table hobby by not pushing your own limits.

Here's looking forward to your post-flight report! Get video! Let us know!

Last edited:
Wow, tough crowd. Lest we forget the excitement and enthusiasm of being a kid. Mostly adults responding with such a serious sentiment. I don't see anything wrong with this kids ambition. Hey rockets, I say light it! Tracker or not, send that sucker to the stratosphere! And if you lose it, you're out ten bucks for a motor and $4.63 in materials for a modified paper towel roll. Just gonna have to roll your friends couches a few more times or mow an extra lawn each month this year to recover the cost. Then on to bigger and better projects! Point is, not everyone needs to move at the speed of molasses to advance. Don't let the old-timers here slow you down with a kitchen table hobby by not pushing your own limits.

Here's looking forward to your post-flight report! Get video! Let us know!

Nothing wrong with youthful excitement but if he reads about the trials and tribulations of others, he just might avoid "our" disappointments and have
more precocious enjoyment of his endeavors! Kurt

Nothing wrong with youthful excitement but if he reads about the trials and tribulations of others, he just might avoid "our" disappointments and have
more precocious enjoyment of his endeavors! Kurt
+100

Just fly it on a smaller motor that won't carry it out of sight. Consider it a test flight within your certification level and learn from it for a later, higher flight.

Steve Shannon

Rockets I believe is 12-14 yrs old? Gonna be hard to get rid of go fever, but if possible, listen to what is being said.
If not YOU will be the one to tell your son one day..." Son, listen to me, wait until your ready, ask me how I know."

29mm 8K will disappear in about 0.7 sec, asking all the old guys at the launch, "did you see it" isn't going to get you good results.

Not trying to discourage you here. What you are doing is very cool and your determination is awesome. The RSO is likely going to be pretty leery to let you fly without a means of recovery.

You may call or ask someone at your club if someone would let you barrow RF tracker to your shock cord, if you lose it - be around $100. I've been offered this in the past at launches so some may be receptive when they see what you're doing

Rockets I believe is 12-14 yrs old? Gonna be hard to get rid of go fever, but if possible, listen to what is being said.
If not YOU will be the one to tell your son one day..." Son, listen to me, wait until your ready, ask me how I know."

29mm 8K will disappear in about 0.7 sec, asking all the old guys at the launch, "did you see it" isn't going to get you good results.

Not trying to discourage you here. What you are doing is very cool and your determination is awesome. The RSO is likely going to be pretty leery to let you fly without a means of recovery.

You may call or ask someone at your club if someone would let you barrow RF tracker to your shock cord, if you lose it - be around $100. I've been offered this in the past at launches so some may be receptive when they see what you're doing
Does anyone else see a younger blackbrandt behind that username....

Maybe some of that younger Blackbrandt is still growing out of go fever...the hard way :)

Yeah but still sad. When I get bit, I make a big point of learning from it plus when I see others getting bit, I try to learn from their less the stellar
results. I never cease to be amazed how easy some make a nominal flight look and then see others with an unforeseen anomaly (sometimes myself)
that puts me back in rocket reality! Stuff happens. Kurt

Back