I REALLY need a tracker by this weekend

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
I need a tracker before this weekend. I need a tracker that doesn't require a HAM license, will fit in a 29mm tube, & will require little to no assembly. And, it has to be under $100. I like the Eggtimer Mini tracker, but I don't want to have to assemble one, If someone can assemble one and mail it to me by this weekend for under $100 would that work?
Is there anything you know of?? If so, Please let me know! :)
Thanks,

You are on the right track with this part. You say you don't want to wire anything, but you may have to in order to make your deadline. You need to wire this component up with a 3DR transmitter like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3DR-Radio-...404412?hash=item4189b7e47c:g:lG8AAOSwv0tVFoPj

and you'll be on your way.

You are also in your right mind to understand that you will need a tracker with this project. Without one, you will not get this rocket back.

Last edited:
Hey, do you know why challenger and one of the Russian rockets during the space race (among others) failed?
Political pressure forced the space agencies to launch despite the doubts and known system failure points.

Anyways, the moral is if you have to delay to keep the launch successful and safe, do it.

How high are you flying, and what kind of rocket? If it's with a G motor as I suspect it may be, you'll probably be able to keep a visual on it for most of the flight. You may want to think about a "beeper", chances are that it will work fine for this kind of flight, and they're under $30. They're also very useful later on; I know people that still fly with beepers even with GPS tracking. If you're going out of sight and it's likely that you aren't going to see it again until you find it after it's on the ground, you need either a RDF tracker (point it at the rocket and it beeps if you're in the right direction and/or getting close) or a GPS tracker (which actually tells you exactly where the rocket is). Neither of those is going to quite fit into your under-$100 budget and license-free requirement; RDF trackers generally require a technician-level ham license, and GPS systems are somewhat higher. [Shameless plug... Eggtimer Rocketry GPS trackers are close to your budget, but they require assembly. You probably wouldn't be able to get it ready and tested by next weekend unless you're experienced at soldering.]

How high are you flying, and what kind of rocket? If it's with a G motor as I suspect it may be, you'll probably be able to keep a visual on it for most of the flight. You may want to think about a "beeper", chances are that it will work fine for this kind of flight, and they're under $30. They're also very useful later on; I know people that still fly with beepers even with GPS tracking. If you're going out of sight and it's likely that you aren't going to see it again until you find it after it's on the ground, you need either a RDF tracker (point it at the rocket and it beeps if you're in the right direction and/or getting close) or a GPS tracker (which actually tells you exactly where the rocket is). Neither of those is going to quite fit into your under-$100 budget and license-free requirement; RDF trackers generally require a technician-level ham license, and GPS systems are somewhat higher. [Shameless plug... Eggtimer Rocketry GPS trackers are close to your budget, but they require assembly. You probably wouldn't be able to get it ready and tested by next weekend unless you're experienced at soldering.]

Think he said an H135 to about 8k.
This is his build thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Man-quot-(Build-Thread)&p=1684765#post1684765

I doubt that he could get a decent tracker that fits in a 29mm tube, doesnt require a HAM license, requires little or no assembly, and for under 100$ by the weekend.

I doubt that he could get a decent tracker that fits in a 29mm tube, doesnt require a HAM license, requires little or no assembly, and for under 100$ by the weekend.

I agree, ain't going to happen unless there is a vendor nearby, that something can be picked up. Be patient young man, fly a smaller motor this weekend, and "go for it" when you have what you need.

Ditto, Go fever spells trouble. EggFinder mini with LCD is his only option along with a $6.00 B/T module. The 3Dr radios would be ok but again would have to cobble together and pipe the output from the receiver to decode and make some sense out
of it. Kurt

I'll add in here, using a tracker for the first time on a sight unseen flight is a BAD idea.

Someone may be about to learn a lesson in patience and end up a little more grounded in reality. Or not.

This is a bad idea. Delay the flight. Get a tracker, test it and learn how to use it on flights you can see. I do not care if it gps or RDF- your plan as it exists is a recipe for rocket loss.

Tell ya what.... I'll give you a free Eggfinder Tx, plus $25.
The only condition is, you have to tell me where it is. I'll give ya the approximate location. It's somewhere in Goldsboro Maryland. ;)

In all seriousness, go-fever on such a critical aspect of flight will almost definitely result in failure. You are experiencing go fever. Stop, delay the launch until you have a tracker you can test, and really know how to use it.

There's plenty of launches in the future. Trust me, if you lose it, you will be regretting the decision.

A tracker that you don't know how to use is just really expensive nose weight.

Andrew, build something else. Set this aside for now and do some launches that stay within sight or spend just a little bit of time out of sight on the upside. Refine your tracking technique no matter what you use like Mark suggests at low altitude
so if you have any problems, you can correct them before your attempt something that goes completely sight unseen. You at least get your project back if something goes wrong.

I recovered my second sight unseen flight on a 10k' L powered Mach one flight by shear luck. Had Rf problems and someone
got a visual at the limits of vision just before touchdown. The first rocket I flew that day with another GPS tracker had ballistic main deployment and augered in. I got the remains back 18 months later with no Beeline GPS recovered. It was
pulverized. So hard lesson learned that day. I took my time to learn from those mistakes and practice technique now every time before flying since I have a variety of receiving stations to choose from. Since you're 13 you have plenty of lifetime left to fly and you have the luxury to see "our" mistakes and have the option to prevent them from happening to you.

Matt, speaks from recent experience so think carefully, plan methodically and aim high in measured steps. Best of luck. Kurt Savegnago

Please listen to what is being said . You need to crawl before you walk . You know what will happen if you fly that rocket this weekend? You will lose it and maybe just enough for you to walk away . I have a 29mm two stage kit that would go great on 29mm BP . I want to build it and sim everything up . But not right this moment . I need to buy a tracker small enough to find it why build something to only fly it once .

Ill have to agree with everyone else, dont rush it dude. Im plannng for a mile in the air, and my goal is by the end of summer. Still getting my ducks in a row, theres a lot to read. I could get online and buy everything I think Ill need tonight, but I havent finished up researching and listening to the suggestions of others. Its not a race, be patient.

Back