AT or CTI?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AT or CTI?

• AT

• CTI

Results are only viewable after voting.
For 1 G motor the shipping is about 30 dollars. I could get one from there but i would have to order bulk to make it worthwhile.

For 1 G motor the shipping is about 30 dollars. I could get one from there but i would have to order bulk to make it worthwhile.
Yeah but 1 G motor from our CTI supplier is going to cost you the same shipping?

It only cost 15$ shipping actually.

I'm not trying to be argumentative
But the Aerotech G single use as you mentioned getting from the US because you can't get them here, which you now know you can, has to be shipped Hazmat in Canada and the the CTI equivalent reload doesn't. Your not comparing apples with apples. Aerotech makes good motors and I use them as well as CTI.
I don't think you are being fair in your comparison of the two munufactures just by your comparison of shipping charges.

I'm not trying to be argumentative
But the Aerotech G single use as you mentioned getting from the US because you can't get them here, which you now know you can, has to be shipped Hazmat in Canada and the the CTI equivalent reload doesn't. Your not comparing apples with apples. Aerotech makes good motors and I use them as well as CTI.
I don't think you are being fair in your comparison of the two munufactures just by your comparison of shipping charges.
Yeah i do like AT's SU 29mm motors more then the CTI pro29 3G motors since they are cheaper per motor.

Yeah i do like AT's SU 29mm motors more then the CTI pro29 3G motors since they are cheaper per motor.
However, aside from the cost of a Pro29 3gr case, the CTI 3-grain Gs(159N) are cheaper than any SU when you factor in cost per Newton. I love the G125-RL. For single use G, I prefer the Aerotech G74 since it's $-per-N is low.

However, aside from the cost of a Pro29 3gr case, the CTI 3-grain Gs(159N) are cheaper than any SU when you factor in cost per Newton. I love the G125-RL. For single use G, I prefer the Aerotech G74 since it's $-per-N is low.

And now I'm confused...why not mention the AT reloads (G75J) are even cheaper that CTI 29's ?

Just this past LDRS I picked up an AT 38/1320 J510 and a Loki 38/1200 K1127

But hey maybe my next favorite will be the J510 because it's got such a cool flame. Or maybe the K1127 because it's a K in a small(ish) package. Or maybe whatever motor I cert L3 on when that project gets off the ground.

omg omg omg omg. I love them both ;)

17722981838_69b389424c_c.jpg
17722782578_00f97c8dcc_c.jpg

I know it's 38 mm, but I think the Loki G reloads are an amazing deal once you have invested in the 38-120 case. A sparky G motor for $18.50!

That said, I really wish Scott still made 29 mm stuff. I got into this game too late to ever fly them.

I started using Pro38 not long after they hit the market. A little cost in reload makes no matter to me. It just quicker and easier to set delay and build. Hardware is cheaper, too. Time is a luxury I do not have in my business. Never had one burn through or cato. Just kept them so I don't have several brands to have to deal.
I have the Pro54s, again easy for me, less hdw expense.
I do have a lot of 54mm Kosdon/Amw hdw, Loki reloads awsome, but you should try the Cesaroni AMW compatible reloads. At $130, 2700n in a L1276 red, amazing. It all comes prepackaged in the liner and a disposable nozzle so you're not wearing out your own.
I have a bunch of 75mm Kosdon/Loki/Amw hdware. Burn CTI, Loki and AT reloads in them all day long. I don't have time or equipment to do EX: Best bang for the newton, AT- M1297, M1315 & M1850, love them.
The CTI 75mm reloads are a good buy if you can get them.
Don't forget the Loki M1650 cocktail, that hits hard off the pad with the blue stuff in case your pushing the 5:1 ratio.
Enjoy the Amw Red Rhino

1492392262408.jpg

Last edited:
No need or desire to decide which is better. If you have been in this game long enough you'll come full circle anyway. I started out with CTI and wouldn't have it any other way. One day I bought a 29-120 case and "built" my first motor and loved the crap out of it. So much that I sold all my CTI cases with the exception on my 29mm 3 grain case. Now I want to get some more 24mm CTI cases for the cluster rockets I haven't flown since my CTI purge. Now I am firmly in the camp where I fly what ever I want to fly at any given time as each have their positives over their competition. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's all good.

I use both as well. All of my 18mm, 24mm and 29mm are AT, with the exception of one CTI 29mm 3g case I just picked up at LDRS. All of my 38mm and 54mm cases are CTI. I enjoy both, although I do like AT SU motors when I just want to get something in the air.
I do lean more towards CTI as they just seem to light a little better. Occasionally I have to go through several starters to get an AT motor to light.

Both. Pros and cons to both, including Loki. ALL have great offerings.

What matters to you? Price per reload? Price per newton second? Price per hardware? Availability? Selection?

Loki (granted this is merely anecdotal) I have found to be the most reliable. AT and CTI have their occasional QC issues...If you want a really eye-opening exercise, take 2 comparable motors and look at how much it is per N/S. Include hardware costs or whatever else is applicable and I think the results are interesting:

Loki g80 = (MSRP) $16.5 + $1 (ignitor) = 122NS / 17.5 = 7.00 NS / $
AT G64 = (MSRP) $16.99 (comes with an ignitor) = 119NS / 16.99 = 7.00 NS / $
CTI G58 = (MSRP) $24.75 = 137 NS / 24.75 = 5.54 NS / $ :y: <-- Not very familiar with this product line so I am not sure this is the best comparison.

Now of course onsite dealers are going to offer better deals than MSRP but sometimes this isn't a bad exercise to go through now and then to see what you're getting. Also, I am not 100% sure on those MSRP figures, sort of a best guess. And this really isn't an argument for one versus the other but more or less something to consider.

-Dave

I started with CTI, because I got free cases from their L1 and L2 certification specials. I also like the variety of different loads they have. However, supply is very difficult right now.
I've used AT disposable motors when I can't get something from CTI that fits the need. They've all been great for me.
I also have a 38 mm Loki case and some reloads. I'm using Loki as the case for my own propellants as I learn how to make those.

Ford vs. Chevy..

From what I've seen, heard, observed, deduced, pondered, etc.. is that most start with AT, then move to CTI. Some then move back to At or go to..

Yes, Canadian suppliers are harder to come by, but there are a few. And you'll always benefit from a bulk purchase than 1 at a time.. Speak to your club mates and go in on a large order; save on shipping & HAZMAT fees..

BTW, I'm AT..

I pretty much exclusively fly CTI because their hardware is more economical (and I already own a lot of it) and there are more motor choices available for a particular case. Reloads seem to be about the same price in Canada at the moment.

That exchange rate though... OUCH.

Like those "What's in your wallet?" commercials: What's in your ammo can? My ammo cans currently have 3 CTI reloads, 5 AT reloads, 2 AT SU, and dozens of Estes from 13mm to 29mm.

I've been considering trying out Lokis and figure this is as good a place to ask as any -

What's a good commercial igniter to use for them? I know there are dip kits etc. but for now I'd want something I can get easily.

Also I'm not totally clear on this part - do the reloads come with all the o-rings you need, or do those need to be ordered separately?

Back