Power Perch sled and battery clip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with this sled + Power Perch + Raven + 1S battery?

https://additive-aerospace.myshopif...ter-sleds/products/76mm-dual-power-perch-sled

I am concerned with the rather wimpy battery connection between the 1S LiPo and the Power Perch. Seems like the orange battery clip holds it all in place on my workbench, but how about under G loading? I do have it oriented in my ebay with the battery connection facing down so that acceleration is working in my favor. However, I am tempted to wedge something behind the battery and/or add tape for more retention.

Comments welcome. Thanks.

I've used that battery setup (Power Perch and 1S battery) on a fair number of flights in a wide variety of rockets without issue. But I do take extra care to make sure the battery is secure in both directions. I have one of those mounts but I haven't used it yet, just the Power Perch on my own sled. As long as it is secure in both directions you should be good to go. The tape is a good idea. I use very small tie-wraps for some of my setups as well.

I also have some jumpers that allow me to mount the battery directly to the board and not to the Power Perch for a more conventional setup.

Tony

Last edited:
I have no familiarity with the Additive mount, but have flown dozens of flights using Power Perches and the wooden bits Featherweight includes to make a battery retainer with. It works fine. BUT... and this is a big 'but'... you MUST make sure there is NO possibility that the battery can move under thrust. The battery MUST be held very tightly and in firm contact with the connector on the board.

Regardless of what mounting technique you use, you gotta follow this rule. A super-high-G flight can "separate anything from anything else" as they say :wink:

Does anybody have experience with this sled + Power Perch + Raven + 1S battery?

https://additive-aerospace.myshopif...ter-sleds/products/76mm-dual-power-perch-sled

I am concerned with the rather wimpy battery connection between the 1S LiPo and the Power Perch. Seems like the orange battery clip holds it all in place on my workbench, but how about under G loading? I do have it oriented in my ebay with the battery connection facing down so that acceleration is working in my favor. However, I am tempted to wedge something behind the battery and/or add tape for more retention.

Comments welcome. Thanks.

Remember that having it oriented for the acceleration on lift off is a good idea you need to secure it for recovery shocks. I had it happen to me drogue chute out but no main.
No experience with the Additive-Aerospace mount but it looks like it would hold everything in place.

You are correct. Acceleration goes both ways. I guess I am aiming for at least a solid boost and at least apogee deployment, instead of no deployments!

I no longer use 9vdc battery holders with the battery clip attached. Instead I use a very lightweight separate clip that's not attached to the holder. If the battery does come out of the holder the clip stays attached to the battery.

I no longer use 9vdc battery holders with the battery clip attached. Instead I use a very lightweight separate clip that's not attached to the holder. If the battery does come out of the holder the clip stays attached to the battery.

That's the way all the 75mm additive sleds I have are that way. The compartment holds the 9v with a cap and screws. I get my own clips for the elec connection.

Update: I wedged some folded pieces of paper to the left, right, and top of the battery and added a strip of tape over the top. Then screwed down the orange clip. That should take care of any wiggles.

Back