86,000 M1 Garands to finally come home...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sound of the empty clip ejecting and bouncing was so distinctive that it was a signal for the enemy to charge while the GI's were reloading. So the GI's would toss an empty clip to fool the enemy into charging while they still had loaded rifles.
Sorry but thats a bit of a myth, yes there is a sound when the enbloc clip ejects, but no one was wearing hearing protection and war is loud as hell. That ping is maybe 85 db the rifle firing is likely 140db, and it's never just one rifle firing.

Sorry but thats a bit of a myth, yes there is a sound when the enbloc clip ejects, but no one was wearing hearing protection and war is loud as hell. That ping is maybe 85 db the rifle firing is likely 140db, and it's never just one rifle firing.

If you read all the previous posts, I believe I stated that the story was started by an unconfirmed source or the History channel.
What is fact is that the ping is audible for at least 100yds, as we have frequent shooters of M1 Garands at our local range, the firing line is split by a berm and the clubhouse.

Last edited:
Guys, its the bullet weight and the burn rate of the powder. The rifle was designed for a certain pressure at the port, stick to 147 to 175 grain and 4064 or 4895 powders if u reload. You can use an adjustable valve to vent gas to use commercial ammo not loaded to GI ball spec or to run heavier bullets, I used this to push my 185 .309 lapuas to 2550 to stay supersonic at 1000 yards.

Frank

Last edited:
It's not a wiz bang 1911, but a few of us deployed types just bought a few of the attached GI versions that Colt was kind enough to customize and sell for a song. May not be my IDPA Single Stack gun, but I will keep it forever. It's also my third 1911 now, so I may have a 1911 problem. Now, back to the regularly scheduled M1 Garand channel...
Pretty cool to have a pistol like that with such specific info and importance to you.

All in all, shooting a Garand is a lot of fun even though it is a bit hard on my shoulder. I finally bought a very un GI Limb-Saver slip on recoil pad. Helped quite a bit. My nephews are pretty impressed when I can punch paper at a 100 yards with old school iron sights. Even more so when I let them try it and they do even better. Gives them an appreciation for what some of their grandpa's did. Then I have them shoot a GI spec 1911 with those tiny sights and its propensity for hammer bite and they all agree it was likely a weapon of last resort.

Tony

(Viperfixr - you don't really have a 1911 problem until you find versions in your gun safe that you forgot you had...)

I think I have a 1911 problem as well, did some horse trading and wound up with a NIB Les Baer 5" monolith, this was a week ago and I already have 2000 rounds through it...then I went to the gun show this weekend and found a LNIB ed brown classic custom....I've built my own bullseye and hardball guns, including the one I got my distinguished badge with, everything but rail tightening, and had a nice performance center 945 I used for years, and I didn't really think the higher end 1911's were worth it, until I picked one up and then shot it...it's funny, just minor differences in fit and shape of the beavertail, trigger length, thumb safety ledge, frame relief and checkering and the pistol can go from feeling awkward to fitting like a glove...

Frank

And if you buy one, be sure to consider "THIS" accessory.
Hmm, someone in their marketing department needs to do a little research. While that was used with Garands, it is originally for the 1903 rifle. In 1943 they introduced a much shorter version, the M1905E1, or just the M1 bayonet. It is only 10" long. So to say the 16" long bayonet is "Crafted in the same style of the original 1943 M1 bayonet" is completely inaccurate.

But that is a lot cheaper than buying a real 1943 version of the bayonet.

Tony

Back