University of Idaho Rocket Accident

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....so who's arguing? 4th Amendment, I going to speak my mind just as you have. I just don't have "Moderator" in my favor. Ban me if you must, I'm not an a** kisser. YOU haven't lived under their rule all your life.

People here have a bad habit of trying to tell others how to act and how to be. F that, laterz....

I would like to know the reason for your underlying hatred for U of I. I have family and friends that graduated from U of I and they seem to be nice people. All physics and engineering.

I don't believe in black helicopters.
I think what happens is a through safety review

After that, I hope the U of I can restart their program with the assistance of a qualified mentor, using the appropriate TRA safety code. It will probably be a uphill battle for those kids in the club. I mentor a college club now and I can tell you they jump thru a lot of hoops.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust the local media to get any of the details right either...
Brings to mind a few decades back when a local Kansas City news broadcast was talking about an aerobatic plane crash at an airshow - they kept mentioning the Sukhoi "jet" while showing video of the plane's wrecked radial engine and thrashed prop on the ground. Unless I have missed some kind of black budget secret alien-inspired technology jet engines tend not to have pistons ...
Umm, hey y'all news people, not all Sukhois are fighter jets ... for example, the Su-26 or similar which was the plane which had crashed ...

Why would a NAR group be involved with research motors?

M

They had questions about how to obtain a FAA waiver and the Spokane group had a launch with a waiver the scheduled following weekend.

John

The article still emphasizes the problems that arose from the very fact. It too is correct.

The problems we had with the BATF were around well before 9/11. The Homeland Security Act (which I think is what the article you cited was about) did not change anything except for drawing more attention to the restrictions that the BATF had already placed on us. It didn't create any new rules or regulations. Our attempt to later get relief through legislation was blocked by a couple of fear-mongering senators. I guess that could be seen as an effect of 9/11. But, generally, I don't think 9/11 had much of a direct effect on us per government regulation and I doubt this event will either.

My fear is that some primary school administrators might conflate what these students were doing with model rocketry in general (some of the news stories used the phrase "model rocketry") and decide that rocketry isn't a safe activity for kids. But, I don't think this story is getting enough press outside the local coverage to be of serious concern.

I hope, of course, that lessons are learned to avoid such an occurrence in the future. We have some good people in our local clubs that spend a great deal of time mentoring and assisting college students. I would like to think that all college groups would seek such help before doing something like making their own propellant.

-- Roger

Last edited:
The problems we had with the BATF were around well before 9/11. The Homeland Security Act (which I think is what the article you cited was about) did not change anything except for drawing more attention to the restrictions that the BATF had already placed on us. It didn't create any new rules or regulations. Our attempt to later get relief through legislation was blocked by a couple of fear-mongering senators. I guess that could be seen as an effect of 9/11. But, generally, I don't think 9/11 had much of a direct effect on us per government regulation and I doubt this event will either.

My fear is that some primary school administrators might conflate what these students were doing with model rocketry in general (some of the news stories used the phrase "model rocketry") and decide that rocketry isn't a safe activity for kids. But, I don't think this story is getting enough press outside the local coverage to be of serious concern.

I hope, of course, that lessons are learned to avoid such an occurrence in the future. We have some good people in our local clubs that spend a great deal of time mentoring and assisting college students. I would like to think that all college groups would seek such help before doing something like making their own propellant.

-- Roger

That's fine with me. I was only listing one such instance. The NAR according to one article STILL had to battle it out in court with the ATF. That to me is a problem in and of itself, win or lose. Who likes to be drug through the court system anyways?

-- Roger

The local news in my area has not even mentioned the event, so far, and I only live a 2 or so hours from the Moscow/Pullman area.

Come to think of it, I don't recall anything making it to the mainstream media about the other events either.

Come to think of it, I don't recall anything making it to the mainstream media about the other events either.

I just did a search and all the major news media had an article about the event, basically they were all re-hashes of the original story, probably they just pasted them to their websites as not too worthy of attention.

I just did a search and all the major news media had an article about the event, basically they were all re-hashes of the original story, probably they just pasted them to their websites as not too worthy of attention.

I was referring to previous events rather than this new one. Events or situations that were brought on years ago where the government stepped in.

just let it go...

see-nobody-cares-hey-everyone-some-kids-blew-up-a-rocket-see-nobody-cares.jpg

Not sure if this has already been established, but thankfully the article I saw had an edit which stated that no one was critically injured just 4 minor injuries.

The NAR according to one article STILL had to battle it out in court with the ATF. That to me is a problem in and of itself, win or lose.

For your information, not only was it the NAR, Tripoli had a little bit to with battling the ATFE, I know; "Got the t-shirt, the jacket, and my canceled checks---as do many others".

Who likes to be drug through the court system anyways?

Is that a rhetorical question???
21.gif

Last edited:
This thread has gone far astray. It's about an accident that occurred at the University of Idaho having to do with rocketry where 4 students were injured. From everything I've read in this thread, that is the only factual statement that can be made about the accident. There really aren't any other documented facts presented in the referenced press reports...
Yep, I came here hoping there'd be more details about what they were doing. Nothing found.

Yep, I came here hoping there'd be more details about what they were doing. Nothing found.

I emailed the club advisor a bit ago. He replied. Guy seems nice enough, but obviously can't say anything until the multitude of investigations is over. Since the news has an attention span of around 37 seconds, I doubt we'll see anything about this again.

If the club goes on, perhaps they'll reach out to someone somewhere and we may learn more. About the only thing we can take away at this point? Don't stand close to test motors.

I emailed the club advisor a bit ago. He replied. Guy seems nice enough, but obviously can't say anything until the multitude of investigations is over. Since the news has an attention span of around 37 seconds, I doubt we'll see anything about this again.

If the club goes on, perhaps they'll reach out to someone somewhere and we may learn more. About the only thing we can take away at this point? Don't stand close to test motors.

Thanks for reaching out to him David. His response to me mentioned that many had contacted him offering to help. That's one of the things I love about rocketry, how willing people are to step up when needed.
My offer to him was to provide resources on rocketry safety. Not building rockets, not building rockets, but the safe practices we try to cultivate within our Safety Codes.

Steve Shannon

I dont believe any thing on CNN. If it was a more respectable and reputable network i would. If they have a news story and they dont have complete info then if I was a betting man I would say fake.

Unwarranted personal attack on an individual, belittling of ideas...
That's Forum Police Brutality

Okay, if you find the post offensive I'll delete the it... Oh. Right.

Back