Lenghten my current launch controller?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascastil

Reaction score
Just got my L1 so I need a longer wire going out to the pad. Maybe a stupid question but can I add 70ft to my Aerotech launch controller?

You can, but you'll be taking your voltage drop from X to nearly 3X ( AT controller has 40ft to begin with ).

My guess is you'll be fine for simple H/I, but if you're clustering (200ft total) I'd probably use a 4s LiPo pack.

You can minimize any voltage drop concerns by using larger gauge wire.

Maybe i should open up the at controller and try and make a new one. It sure as hell wont be pretty because i am not an electrical guru. What gauge would I use for 100ft of wire going to the pad?

Maybe i should open up the at controller and try and make a new one. It sure as hell wont be pretty because i am not an electrical guru. What gauge would I use for 100ft of wire going to the pad?

IMO - 16 gauge. Something like this:

2 wire
2-wire 100ft.png

3 wire
3-wire 100 ft.png

I put the battery and an automotive 12volt relay at the pad and use speaker wire for to connect the controller. This way you borrow a little bit of the current to close the relay and the rest of the current only has to travel a few feet to the igniter(s). I have lit 4x clusters, mid-power motors and yes even the dreaded Copper-Head off of 8 AAs.

I put the battery and an automotive 12volt relay at the pad and use speaker wire for to connect the controller. This way you borrow a little bit of the current to close the relay and the rest of the current only has to travel a few feet to the igniter(s). I have lit 4x clusters, mid-power motors and yes even the dreaded Copper-Head off of 8 AAs.

That's the smart way.

Steve Shannon

Back