What kind of rockets do you like?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRFfan

Reaction score
I like ultra-optimized minimum diamiters and scale rockets. Which types do you like?

More and more these days I like big ones. Big ones with N and O motors in them. Something that takes several people to carry them out to the away cells.

That is what is great about rocketry, so many different things; you can play around until you find something you really like, then move on. You can have a lot of fun at all levels.

Yeah true. I do like MPR motors and even if i could fly L4 motors now i still probably would go wih MPR motors because they are alot more fun to fly due to the cheaper cost. :)

I like all rockets, but I enjoy the build more than the flying so I lean towards the LPR side.
*Bumps into rocket*
*Dominos effect*
"Whoops."

As for larger motors, I plan on (plan only) certing the launch after I turn 14 and maybe doing a mid/high power scale project. 38mm 3 inch X-15 maybe.

Re-read the title, I had interpreted it as like to build. I like detailed or otherwise (aesthetically, mechanically, etc.) interesting rockets. ...Which is most rockets. Dang it, I was aiming for scale.

I like biomimicry in fins shapes. Mostly I fly F-I, with a few larger motors thrown in for spice.

Anything K and above typically, and that is what I mostly fly.

I have always had a liking of the futuristic craft, like the SS Cestris and Interrogator kits put out by Sirius Rocketry
Here is my SS Cestris
cestristopside.jpg DSC05644.JPG

I am so tempted to upscale the Interrogator to 4" one day.

I like rockets that I can see, everyone like I'm 10. Out of sight not so much, even though I want to hit some altitude, I prefer to see the flights. At a launch, I don't even want to miss a C6 motor.
My favs though are big long burn engines where don't hear the abrupt end of burn out but instead a trail off like the Boston sound "cool your engines "

I go in cycles with building. I just finished up an L3 V2, and now I'm working on an Estes MIRV. I'm happy flying 1/2A cardstock saucers too. I just don't have the patience for involved scale models though. I admire them, but they are not my deal.

While some admire the simplicity of a 3FNC, I quickly got bored with them.
I am into sci-fi, fantasy, and odd-rock type builds.

Have some high power (L2) but tend to do more LPR/MPR - cheaper, plus my types of rockets probably won't do well under high power

I've never met a rocket that I didn't like, but my favorites are odd-rocks and spaceships. If it has a pilot, it is especially cool....

Night launch rockets, military scale, odd rocs and anything that whistles on the way up!

I like a B motor in a simple rocket with a perfectly timed deployment.

I also like putting the largest possible motor into the smallest possible rocket. Like this 38mm K-
20160911_180738.jpg

But after the prep headache rockets like above inevitably create, I am leaning towards bigger, dumber rockets. Ones I can fit my whole arm into, where the recovery harness and parachute fit with out a fit.

So I had Mike at MAC Performance make me a super nice 4" rocket with a FWFG boattail. Nicest kit I have ever seen. I'm about halfway through the build now. Pics soon.

As I contemplate my eventual level three, my dreams have moved from a minimum diameter N to a 16" diameter O, a whole different challenge.

Does this mean I'm getting old?

While some admire the simplicity of a 3FNC, I quickly got bored with them.
I am into sci-fi, fantasy, and odd-rock type builds.

Have some high power (L2) but tend to do more LPR/MPR - cheaper, plus my types of rockets probably won't do well under high power

^^^^^ What he said.

I currently like some space between the mount and the airframe. Makes things easier and helps the thing stay in my possession longer.
Patriot, Mercury Redstone, etc..
L1: 38 in a 4"
L2: 54 in a 5.5" (to be)

Although some near minimum's are sweet, like the Crossfire or new Magician.

And I don't like plain 3 fin stuff. Needs at least a split fin or a transition to make it interesting. (discounting the Partizon because I wanted to finish out the Pro Series II set. I'll complicate it by making it dual deploy)

rockets without fins are cool too

Back