E-Match Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenget

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot but: What's the best e-match for ejection charges? I've been using Quest Q2 igniters but those are harder and harder to come by. All I need them for is to ignite black powder for ejection charges. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I use these, available on Amazon. Continuity check each one, look for about 0.8 Ohms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful. The only completely legal and shipped legally ematches are these https://electricmatch.com/pyrotechnics/see/6/5/mjg-firewire-initiator. Others require an ATFE explosives license to possess legally. This is not a grey area, MJG has worked with ATFE to formulate these as an unregulated initiator.

Just out of curiosity, what's the penalty if you have something like this without a LEUP? who would be at fault for this, Amazon for shipping hazmat non-hazmat, the vendor for not following rules, or the buyer for not knowing?

Just out of curiosity, what's the penalty if you have something like this without a LEUP? who would be at fault for this, Amazon for shipping hazmat non-hazmat, the vendor for not following rules, or the buyer for not knowing?

I thought someone had posted here a while ago that the penalty could be up to $10,000 for BOTH buyer and seller. I could be wrong on this; going by memory. That last bit always gets a laugh from the wife.

All of the above. But it is very difficult to imagine the circumstances in which you would be caught. Don't do stupid things with them, and no one will know you have them (or care).

All of the above. But it is very difficult to imagine the circumstances in which you would be caught. Don't do stupid things with them, and no one will know you have them (or care).

Yup, I believe that's why folks in the past were liberal in helping a new flier out with this er.....ah......"impediment" to DD flying. Fly at a waivered launchsite and they'll be no issues. Kurt

I had an ATF agent tell me basically that same thing. Just be sensible. They have more important things to do. If you do something stupid that forces them to investigate an incident then it makes it impossible for them to ignore.

Back