A couple of scratch builds: ThunderStorm and SaberCat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcquown

Reaction score
I'm not one to "toot my own horn", so I debated with myself to even post these, especially seeing some of the "artwork" that you guys create. You might consider this my first build thread. I don't have many pictures, so go easy on me.

First up is ThunderStorm. I was showing my 8 year old granddaughter some of my designs that needed names. The first name she said was "ThunderStorm." "I like that.", I told her. She had a smile from ear to ear.
Here is the stripped down ORK file:View attachment ThunderStorm-stripped.ork
I couldn't figure out a way to add the canopy in OR, so I left it off.
On to the pictures.
Pic one shows the layout of the fins and nose cone. The nose cone was my first lathe project on my own. I had a little trouble with the tip, so I improvised with a PNC50 that I had. I liked how it turned out.
IMG_20170219_193358763.jpg
Pic two: Body tube. I have access to a wide format HP color plotter that uses 2" core rolls. So a lot of my designs utilize these tubes. The tubes themselves are 2.25"OD x 2"ID with spirals that need filled. This particular tube is 24" long.
IMG_20170219_193508613.jpg
Pic three: Motor mount. I sometimes call myself Trailer Trash rocketry. If I don't have to buy and can make it myself, that's what I'll do. Motor tube made from a tube that was slight larger, so I made it fit around a 29mm motor. Made my own centering rings and balsa tail cone.
IMG_20170221_195204899.jpg
Pic four: body tube again: I saw this method in a thread here on the forum and thought I'd try it since I had a long surface to mount. I did use TTW on the main part of the wing.
IMG_20170221_211222702.jpg
Pic five: Wing attachment. Not much to say here. Used my homemade fin jig to mount the wings and fins.
IMG_20170222_204227.jpg
On to the Canopy. Several years ago, I got a free download from Apogee Components that included a sheet of canopies. I had never used any of until now. So I scaled them up to fit my body tube, printed them and cut them out. I tried several styles and came up three.
IMG_20170226_191342496.jpgIMG_20170226_191512283.jpg IMG_20170226_191636124.jpg
I posed the question to the guys at work and they selected the middle one. I liked that one too.
Here's the pattern on cardstock:
IMG_20170228_201717924.jpg

Apparently you can only post 10 pics at a time. Next post will show the completed rocket (minus paint).

Here it is ready for paint. I think I'm going to go with a black on black look. Flat or satin main color with gloss trim and accents. I designed the ThunderStorm to fly on 29/40-120 reloads.
IMG_20170306_205125520.jpgIMG_20170306_205217147.jpgIMG_20170306_205239162.jpgIMG_20170306_211018.jpg

Last edited:
I have even less pictures of this one. Concept is basically the same as ThunderStorm.
Pic one: Parts (minus nose cone and shock cord mount) layout of wings/fins, motor mount and 12" long body tube. I decided not to do the tail cone transition. I mitered the tail end of the body tube 15 degrees instead. I also used an Estes 29mm motor retention system.
IMG_20160606_214338691_HDR.jpg
The canopy:
IMG_20170228_201747035.jpg
wow that was fast. (I told you I had even less pictures) Not sure of a paint scheme. Maybe silver with black and red trim.
IMG_20170306_205442909.jpgIMG_20170306_205500458.jpgIMG_20170306_205514147.jpgIMG_20170306_210345.jpg

That's it. Once these two are painted, I'll post more pics. Thanks for your time.
Almost forgot. Here's the stripped ORK file:View attachment SaberCat-stripped.ork

Thanks guys. Can't wait to fly them. If I can't get out tonight, Friday is the next best day. I have a couple of G53's ready to go.

These are both really cool, but I think Thunderstorm has nicer lines. Very nice!

both very cool designs and names. Ironically, the nose cone you made for the ThunderStorm looks like the tooth of a SaberCat.

both very cool designs and names. Ironically, the nose cone you made for the ThunderStorm looks like the tooth of a SaberCat.

You've got something there. Both body tubes are the same size. Maybe I'll switch them out and see how they look.

Well, I tried it. Won't work since the one nose cone has the canopy on it. I could always make another nose cone. :wink:

Last edited:
Nifty designs. I especially like the fin design on the ThunderStorm.

Do you use any particular technique to figure out the exact shape of your canopy cutouts? I'm thinking especially of how you get the curved bottom edges to lie flat against the BT or nose cone.

Sweet. They would look slick with some Gerry Anderson style figures to pose with them: now, who here can make such things? It won't be me.

Nifty designs. I especially like the fin design on the ThunderStorm.

Do you use any particular technique to figure out the exact shape of your canopy cutouts? I'm thinking especially of how you get the curved bottom edges to lie flat against the BT or nose cone.

I mentioned in Post#1 that I got a free download from Apogee Components that included a sheet of canopies. These canopies were made for 13mm-24mm tubes. I just scaled it up to the size of my body tubes. I cut several of them out and taped them on to see which ones I liked best. Then I printed them on card-stock and glued them on. Once applied, I brushed them with a coat of Mod-Podge.

Well, I started painting the Sabercat a couple of days ago. Not much to see other than primer. I knew I got my inspiration from somewhere out there on the web. I finally found it here. I think I'm going to go with that paint scheme (or close to it:wink:).
In case the link doesn't work, rockwell_x_31_saberbat_by_bagera3005.jpg

Like the blue.
Didn't notice the "double" nose cone before. Looks a little bit like a bullet. I haven't seen anything quite like that before (some ramjet nose cones, but not quite like yours.)
I think it is going to go great on this rocket. Are you going to paint the sections different colors?

Like the blue.
Didn't notice the "double" nose cone before. Looks a little bit like a bullet. I haven't seen anything quite like that before (some ramjet nose cones, but not quite like yours.)
I think it is going to go great on this rocket. Are you going to paint the sections different colors?

The nose was a result of inexperience on the lathe. Can't quite get the hang of making a point.
My thinking for Thunderstorm is main color flat black with accents in gloss black. I think I will paint the nose on the nose gloss black. I wasn't sure about the blue until I saw it on the rocket. I'm going to use a black sharpie to outline the canopy sections.

The nose was a result of inexperience on the lathe. Can't quite get the hang of making a point.

Rough it out with whatever tools that you are comfortable with and then finish the shaping with sandpaper, it is much more forgiving. I have been known to use a small belt sander to get balsa nose cones into shape.

Back