Anyone Know When the Next Upgrade of Open Rocket is Due Out?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a hacker myself, I can attest to how many exploits Java surfaces (100s). They patch it, and more are found.

I hung up my hacker hat in 1996, when Java was in it's infancy. Any opinion on security of OpenJDK on Linux?

With regard to OpenRocket, there are about 3 core developers with the rest of us on the fringe. The day after this thread was started, they were discussing this very subject, which is cool. Also, you can create your own fork of OR code and modify it any way you like for personal purposes. Only a couple(one or two I think) people have write permission for the official OR code base.

please be aware that the unstable branch has an issue with the slider controls. Changing the slider does not update the numbers displayed in the forms. I think @neil_w has several open issues on this subject.

Yea, I've also been looking into where that disconnect is. Baffling. I would agree that that's the #1 hold-up on progressing towards release - as I see it. Good way to get familiar with the code though.

Yea, I've also been looking into where that disconnect is. Baffling. I would agree that that's the #1 hold-up on progressing towards release - as I see it. Good way to get familiar with the code though.
I would say some of the other issues I reported are important as well (can't scale fins or whole rocket, angle of fins on pods, and the Mac crasher is still there, although that one's not a blocker since it's not new to this release). And good lord, I do hope they decide to allow single pods; I don't even know why that's arguable.

Hmm. Now that Java is mentioned I remember when I got this new computer in October a bunch, and I mean a bunch, of people, including some who build computers for a living said do not, do not, do not, install Java because of huge security holes in it.

I am an IT guy, and Java is fraught with issue whether version, security, and others. I am not a fan.

I am an IT guy, and Java is fraught with issue whether version, security, and others. I am not a fan.

+1 on the Java security issues... I got all kinds of static when I locked down our Java based Building Management Systems... I didn't want hackers having access to hvac controls without breaking into my vpn first...

But... There is a better way.

You can package a Java application (the "jar" file) with a self executing/distributable Java runtime wrapper that has the JAR file within the executable itself. This basically turns OpenRocket.jar into OpenRocket.exe - that you can just click on.
I have done this for both windows:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfpo0pzztgsscqf/OpenRocket-15.03-installer.exe?dl=0

And Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/33o53vlle5b0uex/OpenRocket-15.03.dmg?dl=0

The Windows version has successfully gotten a couple of forum members up and running, after having trouble going the normal route.

Hello Neil,

First I'd like to say Thank you very much for the time and effort you put into this .exe wrapper. The squished fonts issue has been a real PITA for me when using OR on my HTPC system in the front room. Your wrapper has solved a genuine headache inducer.

Next, I wish to pass along an observation. When I ran your installer, it did not add a shortcut to the desktop or the Start/All Programs menu. I presume that feature was not coded into the installer.

.........As for Windows... Since 8, I haven't found a non-Web PLugin version of Java to install for Windows - mainly because I just stay away from it and develop solely on macos now.

If you use Firefox or one of it's many forks, I prefer PaleMoon myself, there is an option to completely disable the Java plugin.

Go to: Menu Bar > Tools > Add-ons (or use KB combo Ctrl+Shift+A). In the new window/tab, left-click Plugins. Then in the list of plugins, using the individual drop-down menus for Java(TM) Platform xxx and Java Development Toolkit x.xx.xxx respectively, select "Never Activate".

The above will fully protect the user from Java exploits while surfing the Net.

First I'd like to say Thank you very much for the time and effort you put into this .exe wrapper. The squished fonts issue has been a real PITA for me when using OR on my HTPC system in the front room. Your wrapper has solved a genuine headache inducer.

Next, I wish to pass along an observation. When I ran your installer, it did not add a shortcut to the desktop or the Start/All Programs menu. I presume that feature was not coded into the installer.
Yes, that's a limitation of the packager I used. There are packagers (some of them commercial) that would probably generate a more full-featured installer; maybe I'll get around to playing with one of them one day. :)

In the meantime, here is a link to when I first released the Windows installer, it has some minimal instructions on finding the executable and creating a shortcut: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...n-openrocket-to-taskbar&p=1657077#post1657077. This is probably the link I should share in all these other threads.

What I would prefer is to post this all once and have it be a sticky...

Back