Kevlar protection tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Several of the builds I'm finishing up that I started 5 years ago before I lost my house... I tied Kevlar around the engine mount.
With the intention of putting a swivel at the end below the end of the air frame, and using elastic above that to the nose cone on a snap swivel.
I am wondering how long the Kevlar will last before it's charred, gets brittle and breaks.
I was thinking of using some 1/8" launch lug tube glued to the inside of the air frame to run the Kevlar threw.
I've got 12" long sections, probably from Semroc before Randy bought Semroc, that I was thinking on using.
Not sure how fire proof it is, but I could always coat it a few times with wood glue before mounting it inside the air frame.
Any one try this before?
Any and all thoughts on this are appreciated.

I would think unless Kevlar is abused or under high heat/UV conditions it would be stable for many, many years. Probably best to contact manufacture and see about shelf life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No need to protect the Kevlar. I have some 1/8" tubular that I have used for 10-11 years, and I decided to replace it then. Not for any other reason than I was doing it for another rocket.

Several of the builds I'm finishing up that I started 5 years ago before I lost my house... I tied Kevlar around the engine mount.
With the intention of putting a swivel at the end below the end of the air frame, and using elastic above that to the nose cone on a snap swivel.
I am wondering how long the Kevlar will last before it's charred, gets brittle and breaks.
I was thinking of using some 1/8" launch lug tube glued to the inside of the air frame to run the Kevlar threw.
I've got 12" long sections, probably from Semroc before Randy bought Semroc, that I was thinking on using.
Not sure how fire proof it is, but I could always coat it a few times with wood glue before mounting it inside the air frame.
Any one try this before?
Any and all thoughts on this are appreciated.

Actually sounds like a great idea, but I would probably use something like epoxy or JB Weld if I were to coat it, or spray the inside with that grill paint perhaps? Never tried it before, but I hear it works well.

Back