HED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Basically DD with no payload tube, right? Main is in NC, drogue in booster, NC coupler is the AV bay. Am I understanding that correctly?

Was thinking about getting a Formula 75 to stand up next to my Formula 200. Newer ones from Madcow are HED. Would be fun.

Basically DD with no payload tube, right? Main is in NC, drogue in booster, NC coupler is the AV bay. Am I understanding that correctly?

Was thinking about getting a Formula 75 to stand up next to my Formula 200. Newer ones from Madcow are HED. Would be fun.

You are correct.
Just building a Wildman 98mm Interceptor AAD now that is also HED. I think I will complete as HED but separate for the drogue at the body midpoint. I haven't seen a HED rocket fly and I'm a little concerned about the whole body being one piece and separated at the Avbay which is essentially the nose cone. That is a lot of rocket to come down together! I have read that a 9-12" drogue will keep the whole body from orientating so as to become ballistic and maybe so, I'm just not comfortable with that yet.
I will be attaching the upper body to the avbay with flathead screws and the tube will be shear pinned at the body midpoint coupler. So in the future I will be able to configure it as it was originally was designed to be flown as HED

Greg

You are correct.
Just building a Wildman 98mm Interceptor AAD now that is also HED. I think I will complete as HED but separate for the drogue at the body midpoint. I haven't seen a HED rocket fly and I'm a little concerned about the whole body being one piece and separated at the Avbay which is essentially the nose cone. That is a lot of rocket to come down together! I have read that a 9-12" drogue will keep the whole body from orientating so as to become ballistic and maybe so, I'm just not comfortable with that yet.
I will be attaching the upper body to the avbay with flathead screws and the tube will be shear pinned at the body midpoint coupler. So in the future I will be able to configure it as it was originally was designed to be flown as HED

Greg

I bring both my Formula 200 and the 4in patriot down with everything but the nose connected. I haven't had an issue yet. The fin can pretty much hits dirt completely vertical. Put the right size drogue in it and you're fine.

I guess you didn't see my Formula 75 fly Sunday, HED with an Top Flight 18" X-Form drogue and a 54" Spherachute main. Three 2-56 shear pins hold the nose on.

I guess you didn't see my Formula 75 fly Sunday, HED with an Top Flight 18" X-Form drogue and a 54" Spherachute main. Three 2-56 shear pins hold the nose on.

I didn't see much of anything, between launching and recovering my stuff, and RSOing for awhile.

The idea sounds really cool, I'm just worried about higher speed lights where pressure distortions near the nose could mess with the altimeter.

Latest posts

Back