QCRS- Princeton, IL- April 15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks,

This last Saturday, Jason and I needed to make contact with an angry neighbor north of where we fly. One of our seasoned and regular fliers decided to park on her private driveway while recovering a rocket. She was very upset with this, and considered it disrespectful. She does not mind that we recover rockets on/near the property, but she expects that we do not park on her private driveway. Frankly, this is a common sense thing to not go on a residential driveway to recover a rocket, but it seems there is a need for a collective reminder. We need to stick to main roads like east/west 2300, 2400, 2500 and north/south 1850 and 1950. DO NOT PARK ON PRIVATE PROPERTY! If you need to make contact with a homeowner, you should park off a main road and walk to their residence and try to make contact with them. Any driveway that bears a reflective 911 address marker is a private driveway, see attached pics for details. Remember we are invited guests on private land, conduct yourself accordingly!

Any questions or concerns, please reach out to me, Jason, Brad, Steve, etc.

Thank you,

Capture.JPG 911 address marker.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG

Folks,

This last Saturday, Jason and I needed to make contact with an angry neighbor north of where we fly. One of our seasoned and regular fliers decided to park on her private driveway while recovering a rocket. She was very upset with this, and considered it disrespectful. She does not mind that we recover rockets on/near the property, but she expects that we do not park on her private driveway. Frankly, this is a common sense thing to not go on a residential driveway to recover a rocket, but it seems there is a need for a collective reminder. We need to stick to main roads like east/west 2300, 2400, 2500 and north/south 1850 and 1950. DO NOT PARK ON PRIVATE PROPERTY! If you need to make contact with a homeowner, you should park off a main road and walk to their residence and try to make contact with them. Any driveway that bears a reflective 911 address marker is a private driveway, see attached pics for details. Remember we are invited guests on private land, conduct yourself accordingly!

Any questions or concerns, please reach out to me, Jason, Brad, Steve, etc.

Thank you,

View attachment 317657 View attachment 317656 View attachment 317658 View attachment 317659

Justin? Could you kindly PM me or at the very latest- Let me know when i arrive at Mini Midwest Power next month. :D

Who this individual was. :D

Because I wear a size 10 1/2 Redwing boot and, it makes a thundering sound when I kick someone right up their A$$HOLE...:rant:

This is one of the LAST great places I can easily reach or fly at within the Midwest. Soooooo....please folks don't $&@# this up for the rest of us- :no:

Everyone makes mistakes, that's a given. Courtesy goes a long way...

Guys,

Let's not focus on WHO this was and worry more about the education to flyers who aren't as familiar with the rules and etiquette.

Glen, she ISN'T a landowner, she is a landowners TENANT. If she is unhappy, she puts pressure on the landowner.

We can all use the reminders every once and a while. Let's all call off the lynch mob and just speed the word about launch site etiquette.

While talking to her, she actually said she doesn't mind if we walk on her grass to recover out rockets. She actually said that she didn't want us to ring her doorbell every time we land there. She said just don't drive on her drive or park on it. Basically the message was "I don't like you guys, I don't have to, if you have to get your rocket, get it and get out"

Thanks for the reminder Jason. I would also extend this to things like cleaning up after ourselves- picking up stray garbage, things like that.

J is correct in that is does not really matter who at this point, rather lets learn from this miss-step and recognize opportunity for improvement.

We (J and I) have been talking about the potential need for a fliers meeting at the beginning of each launch day. This might serve as an opportunity to get everyone on the same page before we start lighting candles. :grin:

Guys,

Let's not focus on WHO this was and worry more about the education to flyers who aren't as familiar with the rules and etiquette.

Glen, she ISN'T a landowner, she is a landowners TENANT. If she is unhappy, she puts pressure on the landowner.

We can all use the reminders every once and a while. Let's all call off the lynch mob and just speed the word about launch site etiquette.

While talking to her, she actually said she doesn't mind if we walk on her grass to recover out rockets. She actually said that she didn't want us to ring her doorbell every time we land there. She said just don't drive on her drive or park on it. Basically the message was "I don't like you guys, I don't have to, if you have to get your rocket, get it and get out"

So that being the case, if a rocket lands a good distance from the house, would be best to just walk out and get it? If it lands close to the house, walk up and ask permission to get it off the lawn all the while not parking in the driveway?
I had a small project recover on that land at the last MWP and it was a fair distance Southeast of the house but out in the field. I just walked out and got it as it was just a bit north of the road.

It's difficult to know how each individual is going to respond but since this particular person is of that persuasion, it's best to proceed accordingly. For other situations if a landowner/tenant is upset, do one thing and one thing only, apologize profusely
and acknowledge you'll let others know about their preferences. Kurt

Congratulations Locksmith on your successful L2, and glad it's resting spot was still in Illinois! The end of your video is slightly painful to watch - hope any damage you had was only cosmetic. My Loc MinusMag (Magnum without the E-Bay) was also dragged downwind after the landing. It appeared to me to have landed south of County Rd 2400N, but it's final resting point was 100 yards to the north of the road. I didn't think mine could have been dragged that far, but after your video it's plausible that it was.

Regarding the tenant and the incident Saturday, a first time briefing for new flyers to the site sounds like a great idea, to know procedures involving launch etiquette, safety, and the lay of the land. My local club in Central Iowa has a home just beyond the boundary of the field we use, and others I fly with have told me that homeowner has expressed minor irritation of our activity to them in the past. Last launch of last year one of my rockets landed just over the fence in their yard. Seeing their cars were in the driveway, I walked to the door to announce my presence and ask permission to retrieve my rocket. My words were "Hello, sorry to trouble you but I have something in your yard..." I was half expecting to get an eye roll, or perhaps a negative comment, but they seems gracious. A little common sense and courtesy can go a long way.

Both of you had good flights! Who's rocket got caught in the tree near the power lines in the early afternoon?

So that being the case, if a rocket lands a good distance from the house, would be best to just walk out and get it? If it lands close to the house, walk up and ask permission to get it off the lawn all the while not parking in the driveway?
I had a small project recover on that land at the last MWP and it was a fair distance Southeast of the house but out in the field. I just walked out and got it as it was just a bit north of the road.

It's difficult to know how each individual is going to respond but since this particular person is of that persuasion, it's best to proceed accordingly. For other situations if a landowner/tenant is upset, do one thing and one thing only, apologize profusely
and acknowledge you'll let others know about their preferences. Kurt

ALL the cornfield area surrounding her house is not in question. If the rocket lands on the grass or her driveway, just walk the shortest possible distance to it, pick it up and move on. This is as simple as don't park or drive in her driveway, don't knock on her door to ask to walk on her lawn, just try to make your face to face time with her non-existent. If you have any questions about what to do if your rocket lands near her, call me, I'll remind you what to do.

630-670-4608

I was the first person to talk to the landowner (no, it wasn't me on her driveway). I can categorically state that the person involved was not Gus! Repeat- Gus was not involved in this.

Good one...;)

Yesterday "He" may have "Arisen" but, today- "I" "Arosen" with a monster pulled back muscle and, the ornery really came out...so i will defer my comments about emergency room visits to remove large chunks of well oiled leather products.

I think that a fliers meeting could be very beneficial to all who participate at QCRS events and, i will keep the above comments about recovery on this individuals property in mind for future reference.

To many others, this field or that field are their favorites but, in my case Princeton has become sacred ground to some of us over the last 12 years and, i really would wonder what would happen if i had to move on. Lets all respect our landowners and, remember courtesy does go along way. Some of these people love us, some don't... but, they live under the airspace we are allowed to play on...Until were not.

I've seen that happen too many times now, including my own "sandbox". :sigh:

Congratulations Locksmith on your successful L2, and glad it's resting spot was still in Illinois! The end of your video is slightly painful to watch - hope any damage you had was only cosmetic. My Loc MinusMag (Magnum without the E-Bay) was also dragged downwind after the landing. It appeared to me to have landed south of County Rd 2400N, but it's final resting point was 100 yards to the north of the road. I didn't think mine could have been dragged that far, but after your video it's plausible that it was.
Ty damage was only cosmetic but it really tore up the paint I figure I have plenty of time so Im gonna sand it all down and repaint it before mini-Midwest. I don't know if thats like one of those don't rename a boat thing so gonna be repainting it exactly like it was just encase lol

Good one...;)

Yesterday "He" may have "Arisen" but, today- "I" "Arosen" with a monster pulled back muscle and, the ornery really came out...so i will defer my comments about emergency room visits to remove large chunks of well oiled leather products.

I think that a fliers meeting could be very beneficial to all who participate at QCRS events and, i will keep the above comments about recovery on this individuals property in mind for future reference.

To many others, this field or that field are their favorites but, in my case Princeton has become sacred ground to some of us over the last 12 years and, i really would wonder what would happen if i had to move on. Lets all respect our landowners and, remember courtesy does go along way. Some of these people love us, some don't... but, they live under the airspace we are allowed to play on...Until were not.

I've seen that happen too many times now, including my own "sandbox". :sigh:

Flyers meetings are band-aids at best. Publish site rules on the QCRS site including access rules, parking, etc. Also announce specific restrictions based on flight conditions, i.e., banning sparky's in dry conditions. If a flyer does not read rules and violates a rule during flight and/or recovery, they should be banned and have their flight privileges for the rest of the event and maybe one or two more subsequent events. This "detention" should be a single serious warning before a complete ban lasting the rest of the flying season.

Flyers meetings are band-aids at best. Publish site rules on the QCRS site including access rules, parking, etc. Also announce specific restrictions based on flight conditions, i.e., banning sparky's in dry conditions. If a flyer does not read rules and violates a rule during flight and/or recovery, they should be banned and have their flight privileges for the rest of the event and maybe one or two more subsequent events. This "detention" should be a single serious warning before a complete ban lasting the rest of the flying season.

GRUMPY! :point:

Band-aid or not, anything that may seem small or insignificant- may or may not go along way in keeping the peace and, increasing the longevity of our small hobby in many other locations.

As not so uncommon that some clubs (normally around their larger events) require their flyers to sign a sheet acknowledging all their rules...expressed or non expressed previously to said flyers.

I would hate to see this become normal but, then again it may save some clubs from alot of headaches and, trouble.

I still love you Dawg!:eek:

We all just need to do the right thing to keep Princeton as a launch site. Its a good idea to remind us all at each launch what is not liked by the land owners. My self I would rather have a car parked in my drive way when someone comes to door rather than someone just coming to the door, But that is what the land owner wants so they are right. I know of a club who makes changes as what can fly and not fly depending on the wind. Just because we have a 15K doesn't mean we can't say today because of wind direction we need to stay below 10K. We just need to keep good relations with all land owners.

I'm going to sidetrack this... Thank you a ton to whoever found my 4"nosecone. I would love to know where it was found and details, just to satisfy my curiosity... So, thanks! And who was it? I owe ya a G motor!

I'm going to sidetrack this... Thank you a ton to whoever found my 4"nosecone. I would love to know where it was found and details, just to satisfy my curiosity... So, thanks! And who was it? I owe ya a G motor!

The college kids found it (last month). Behind the flight line and straight back quite a ways.

Justin, thanks for video recording these flights, and posting these on Youtube. The rocket I flew that day was a Christmas present, so thanks to you my family can see it in action. Keep up the great work!

Flyers meetings are band-aids at best. Publish site rules on the QCRS site...

Flyers meetings will be coming in the future, and I tend to agree, band-aid fix to the issue we had.

Rules have been added to the QCRS website (https://qcrs.us/?page_id=173), and I am working on some signage that will reflect simple rules to follow while at the field. Between posting official rules, on-site signage, and flyers meetings, this should remove any ambiguity.

Back