Launch a wing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woody, I think you're thinking of the B1.

The real B2 isn't even stable without its computers monitoring everything, so there's no way it would be stable in a passive configuration. However, you could do a clear extended airframe forward of the wing with some noseweight. You might need some clear vertical stabilizers as well.
-Ken

Woody, I think you're thinking of the B1.

The real B2 isn't even stable without its computers monitoring everything, so there's no way it would be stable in a passive configuration. However, you could do a clear extended airframe forward of the wing with some noseweight. You might need some clear vertical stabilizers as well.
-Ken

Ditto Ken:
the B2 would likely need some sort of Forward pod similar to the one used with the Enterprise or the Tie Fighter.

I'm a former B-2 Crew Chief, and as stated, without the computers, it would be unstable. The CG range is very narrow and fuel is constantly transferred between tanks to maintain CG. It doesn't mean a flying wing can't be done without computer assistance though. There are some R/C sailplanes that are essentially flying wings and they fly exceptionally well.

However, airplane CG/CP relationship is not the same as what's required for a stable rocket flight.
-Ken

CG in both cases needs to be ahead of the CP. In a rocket the farther ahead the better as it is only concerned with up and down, in an airplane the CG must be just ahead of the CP also known as the AC or aerodynamic center, basically the center of lift. Its a balancing act with aircraft since they fly horizontally, basically the the plane balances on the wings AC and the CG must be balanced by the tail elevator or elevons. Many flying wings have had rocket motors added and have flown well provided the CG is not shifted out side the acceptable stable range if shifted at all. Examples can be found in the Rocket Boost Glider forum.

AfterBurners I say go for it!

Richard

Building and flying a B1 as a model rocket is very doable. Just need that beautiful five motor cluster to light all at once. Consider flying it with the landing gear down, don't be afraid of nose weight. Swept position on the wings is better but forward will work too, just depends on how you want it to look.

I have flown the B-58 three times now and that has six motors.

B 58 1.jpgB 58 2.jpgB 58 3.jpgB 58 5.jpgHustler 2.jpgHustler 3.jpgHustler 4.jpgB 58 1.jpgB 54 4.jpgB 58 3.jpg

With some experience the WING WILL FLY LIKE A ROCKET TOO!

I saw a plastic model B1 in the hobby store case. Looks like a 24mm could maybe fit in the jets. PMC? Get out the Dremel!

But it says in the book that widely spaced motors are a bad design:(

Like an XB 70 with a six pack. Scratch built or PMC bombers are Crazy!

A failure to ignite one will cause a pinwheel is the why. Uneven thrust can cause thrust vectoring of the model. If your certain of your clustering skills have at it. [in a safe space ;) ]

Richard

I had a pinwheel with the B-58 and a few others and it is not that bad - in a safe space. They will land near the pad. The worst is to launch in too much wind and have them arc over and go airplane.

For a B 2 I wonder if you could use colorful, wing tip "Vapor Trail" streamers to bring the CP back on the wing with a ton of centered nose weight. It has worked on a Space 1999 Eagle I launched and flew horizontally. But a similar B 2 with widely spaced motors would be quite crazy but fun.

Back