Pendulum rocket fallacy - quarterly challenge - second quarter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not eligible for the competition because it's not new. But, it does have the motor at the top:

[video=youtube;_mhCF39BDTE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mhCF39BDTE[/video]

The Big Daddy Akavish will be new again soon, though. I have some rebuilding to do .....

I know I'm preaching to the choir ... but, having the motor at the top helps the Akavish to be stable. It's not because the rocket acts like a pendulum hanging below the motor. The top-mounted motor helps because the motor is the heaviest part of the rocket and putting it at the top moves the CG forward.

-- Roger

Here are some ideas that you can use that could fit this competition, I don't have the will to build them. Just my list taking off of rocket themes I have posted in the past. Would love to see some fly. Don't be afraid of the front mounted motors. Fear is the mind killer!

Tapeworm like themes:
Ball and Chain tail, could drag up jail bird or ex wife.

Money Ball, $100 bills make up tail.

Basket Ball with net tail, call it "Nothing but Net."

Baseball on top of bat - like Estes Pop Fly - with Baseballs & Cracker Jack tail sections.

Ninety Nine Luft Balloons Fly By. A big red baloon with many smaller ones in tail.

A cell spilling genetic material: Double Helix tail.

Sky Mine - a WWI contact mine with anchor chain tail. Was going to build for the 100 year anniversary of the sinking of HMS Hampshire and old Lord Kitchener but did not get around to it.

Clustered Potato Masher WWI German hand grenade, pull string and red, white and black streamer tail. 100 year anniversary of 3rd Ypres is just around the corner.

High Power Space Elevator. Depleted Uranium Ball with carbon fiber tail. Yep, with right home brew - quick burn motors (maybe even burning some of that uranium) and using the carbon fiber laying skills posted here on the forum, it is straight out to Geo-sync obit. Anchor the tail in with a 10 penny nail, put on yer space suit and start climbin'. By Golly that one ain't commin' down. Now that's what I call rocket science!:)

Jack in the Box like Themes:
Telescoping tube worm. Hollow tubes with launch lug in center, would need scary teeth up front, exterior mounted tractor motors.

Crazy Train like themes:
Dune Worm. The sleeper must awaken!

Heavenly Hauler like themes:
Any flying super hero.
Popeye the Sailor Man grasping a can of spinach.

There are also a lot of cool landers on the framework/sputnik theme. Shrox had a design for one. I remember a design to launch a launch pad with tractor motors here on the forum. Use one of these or let's see one of your own!

Here are some ideas that you can use that could fit this competition, I don't have the will to build them. Just my list taking off of rocket themes I have posted in the past. Would love to see some fly. Don't be afraid of the front mounted motors. Fear is the mind killer!

Crazy Train like themes:
Dune Worm. The sleeper must awaken!

The Spice is strong with this one.

It is by will alone I set my mindsim in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mindsim in motion.

Set the thumper! Do we have worm sign? Shai-Hulud!

Now the RSO really thinks we have completely lost it!

It just came to me. 2.6 main tube with three 29mm motor tubes. Build them around at least a 1/4 lug in the center. An old centering ring and 4 to 5 drops of superglue should do. Then each lower segment telescopes with internal and external centering rings scaled down by tube size selected, just like a real telescope, no gaps. Should be just a bit flexible to give it a squirmy flight going up. Cut the nose cone for a slightly open mouth, just enough to get the launch rod through. Last segment tail cone cut to fit on rod. Lots of drag so you might just go with F-15-0 with a tiny bit of powder in each - depends on legality at field. Probably have to assemble on rod before launch, but just tell the RSO it had to be spit roasted before launch. With Shai-Hulud each segment has a life of it's own, darn hard to kill.

I have got to stop mindsiming. Just like that Pink Floyd WALL song; "and the worms ate into his brain." No need to foster any more worm flying maniacs.

Whispering voice: Build it and the worm will fly!:)

No one I know of has has had the (BALLS) to do one of Alway's Gunpowder Rockets 1350-1916. They would fit this competition for a scale modeler.

I forget the name but IIRC one of them would take a Nerf football (preferable a cheapo knockoff) and three mounts. Canted of course. And a few other parts. Boink recovery.

Last edited:
I forget the name but IIRC one of them would take a Nerf football (preferable a cheapo knockoff) and three mounts. Canted of course. And a few other parts. Boink recovery.

I don't think Boink recovery will work here, but that Swedish Arrow could look cool with a Nerf - if the scale is right. Good to know that it is possible. They say in his prime Elway could throw the Nerf Football with the fins out the back well over 100 yards.

My mindsim was recalibrated and says boink recovery, despite the foam body, would be a bad idea on the Fyrpil. The boom would either crumple or skewer the football.

Hey I gotta quit this hijacking of the contest thread. My apologies. When daddy starts a build thread I will hijack that one.

Back