question ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
How do you export a fin pattern from one openrocket plan into a different openrocket plan ?

Was told

Click on the fins you want to copy. Press "Ctrl C" (copy). Go to the other plan. Click on the body tube, press "Ctrl V" (paste). Voila.

I cant get it to work for me

Usually I have to click on the fin, then use the drop down menu COPY, and then I can go into the other instance of OR and select the part I want to attach the fins to, then again using the menu PASTE, it works for me.

i highlight the fin
then edit
drop down
click on copy
go to rocket I want to add fins to
click on body tube
then edit
drop down
click on paste

nothing happens

i highlight the fin
then edit
drop down
click on copy
go to rocket I want to add fins to
click on body tube
then edit
drop down
click on paste

nothing happens

Sorry, it works that way for me. Is the tube by any chance a transition, if so it won't work (like V2 boat-tails or nose cones). I am out of ideas at this point.

rich I see what i was doing wrong

I opened openrocket 2 separate times

now i understand you half to open both rocket files at the same time in one session of openrocket

rich I see what i was doing wrong

I opened openrocket 2 separate times

now i understand you half to open both rocket files at the same time in one session of openrocket

Usually I just use OR to open the new file which creates a second instance of OR, glad you got it working.

Edit: Interesting, the opening two instances of OR from the desktop icon does not allow the PASTE function to work on the second instance when you try to copy to it, but if you open the second instance via the NEW or OPEN/OPEN RECENT under FILE the PASTE function works.

Last edited:
Another way:
Have 2 windows open side by side. Using the parts list in the left pane, drag and drop the fins, only hold "Ctrl" before dropping. You may have to drop on the desired section, or below it.

Mikey D

Another way:
Have 2 windows open side by side. Using the parts list in the left pane, drag and drop the fins, only hold "Ctrl" before dropping. You may have to drop on the desired section, or below it.

Mikey D

That was the method tried originally by the OP, if the two windows were both opened from the desktop icon the cut and paste did not work, but if one wind was opened from the desktop icon and the second window was opened from the OR menu File>New or Open then the cut and paste worked.

The OP was doing ctrl c, I am talking about ctrl plus drag and drop. Never mentioned the c button.

Also works when manipulating files.
Ctrl copies
Shift moves
Alt creates a shortcut

Back