If you were starting over, how would you do it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get into research asap, own a pad and ignition system and not rely on anyone else's gear.

this is every APCP motor I've flown. Something like 80 flights..... and many rockets. https://dbmccann.wordpress.com/motors-fired/

While I've surely learned something on each one.... There are a ton of rockets..and a lot of overlap, and tons of time swapping parts prepping rockets, and it feels like a job keeping them all in the air.

If I was starting again... I think I'd just build an Optima clone out of blue tube, like I did for my L1 and have flown close to 30 times...but I'd have put a 38 mount in it.
And then the Screech, with a 54 mount, which could have flown on every motor I've flown. (and ironically has flown on none) Those two would have been the perfect starter pack.

Right now.... I think my MAC 54 Zodiac with a 38 mount, the Screech with a 54, and the 4" wildman extreme I'm building will make an excellent trio.

I'd just build more. More 29s, more 38s, more 54s. The more you build and fly the more you learn.

I'd have joined NAR and Tripoli the first chance I got. I'd have made a point to physically meet Mike Dorffler, and Herb Desind... I'd also have invested heavily in a fruit company (Apple) before they went public, and while I was at it, help some guy named Bill (Gates) out by investing in his new company too.

If I had to do it again, I would:

Build my L1 bird with a 38mm mount
Build my L2 bird with a 54mm mount
Put more shock cord/recovery harness in everything
Put more dog barf in everything
Discovered RocketPoxy and 4500 earlier
Discovered OR earlier
Learned earlier to weed out fact from crap on TRF

I don't regret any of the 29mm purchases that I've made, or any of the motors that I've burned, but I surely should have gone one motor tube size bigger on my L1 and L2 cert birds and then adapted down as appropriate.

X3 there....

What I would have done different?
Work a little more ( I work on Commission) so I could buy a lot of stuff already machined or wrapped.
My problem is I worked in construction since I was 13, laid out room additions for my Dad at that age, got my ability to work with my hands from my Dad.
Went to engineering school when I was 31, designing and building, bad combination.
You find yourself challenged to design and build everything.
When I started high power I had to be the one that made EVERYTHING except nose cones, but I would modify them, too.
Making that much stuff, jigs, slotting and beveling machines took a lot of time and a toll on the body.
I would have bought more kits.

Assuming that this is one of those: "Knowing what I know now..."

I'd throw a 54mm in my L1 project.
Rather than adapting down to 54 for my L2, I would have just flown the 75.
Not waited so long to get the hang of fiberglass.
Not waited so long to get the hang of electronics.

Later!

--Coop

I'm pretty happy with how I got to L2, but I know it's not for everyone. I spend WAY more time building than flying. Pretty much everything I fly is scratch built, most of it a little bit weird in some way or another. My L1 cert was the second rocket I built as an adult (first was a Wizard won in a raffle). I don't regret building it like a tank or the 29mm motor mount. L2 was my only other kit, with a 38mm motor mount. Both of those work really well. While I'm building a rocket with a 54mm motor mount, I don't really see needing to go bigger than that. So far at least, I like flying relatively low and small--it eases the wallet pain when buying for the big launch!

The only big thing I would change is I would have gotten into electronics sooner.

If I were starting over, I'd probably avoid this forum. Too many know it alls and those who think they are mightier than thou! I've gained more knowledge from first hand experience at the field.

So, I guess I wonder why you continue to torture yourself? :)

I'd have joined NAR and Tripoli the first chance I got. I'd have made a point to physically meet Mike Dorffler, and Herb Desind... I'd also have invested heavily in a fruit company (Apple) before they went public, and while I was at it, help some guy named Bill (Gates) out by investing in his new company too.

In 1966, I toured Estes Industries at age 13 with my rocket buddies. Met Vern and family, Bill Simon gave us a tour, and I was hooked on model rocketry. It is my passion. I have my L2 but got tired of chasing the higher letters of the alphabet in motors. Prepping dual deploy rockets back 20 years ago, and typically got 2, maybe 3 flights a day, it made me give up the hobby for a few years. Found happiness going back to modrocs. Scale models like the Saturns, scratch built upscales of classics like the Orbital Transport, reminds me of the glory days of this hobby. One bittersweet memory is meeting Mike Dorffler at NARAM in 2010. He signed my Estes Saturn V kit re-issue that Estes sold at the event. Mike passed away about a month later. I can never unwrap that kit. I'm not really sure what to do with it.

This hobby strikes a chord with so many in such different ways.

Back