Saving a retainer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
This is the retainer from a core sample. It's an Aerotech aluminum 29mm. Any way to save it? It was attached with JB Weld, so I don't think heat would do it. Grind everything out with a Dremel?

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Heat it with a propane torch and the JBWeld will soften right up. I did it in a vice and removed with pliers.

It would also set the leftover wood and cardboard on fire. I thought about the oven, but don't think it gets hot enough.

soak in vinegar , whats left of jb weld scrapes out with wood coffee stir stick

I heated it with a small butane torch, and it pulled right off. But it took the inside layer of paper off the tube, none of the JB Weld.

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

I'll be damned. A couple of minutes with the Dremel cleaned it right out. I just need to get a brass brush to make sure the grooves are clean.

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

A) How much is your time worth?
B) How much time have you spent on it?
C) How much spent on other parts & tools to get the job done?

if (A*B)+C>= than the cost of a new retainer, why bother..

Just my 2 cents..

A) How much is your time worth?
B) How much time have you spent on it?
C) How much spent on other parts & tools to get the job done?

if (A*B)+C>= than the cost of a new retainer, why bother..

Just my 2 cents..

It's moot at this point, since I was able to save it. It only took me a few minutes of effort. The retainer cost $11, so was it worth it? Yes. I expended more than 11 dollars' worth of effort, but it was a challenge and I feel satisfied. If it hadn't been this easy, however, I doubt I would have expended much more effort.

Back