• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FAT CAT F-104 Star Fighter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back when you could buy these kits I bought (2) one for myself and one for a friend of mine, who ended up not wanting his anymore. I have one that's currently half built in my build pile, but the second one needs someone who has an eye for detail and passion to build, so that includes just about 99.9% of everyone on this forum :)

So I did make some changes to the kit and I'm also giving you some options. First a quick description of the parts. All the tubes and nose cone are from LOC and are of the highest quality. The big difference between this kit and the original is the balsa wings, stabilizers and fins are laser cut. The original kit came with hand cut balsa. Another change I made was I replaced the original 24" and 30" Topflight chutes with (2) 30" Topflight "X" form chutes. I like the "X" form chutes because the shroud lines don't cross and tangle.

1st Option - Kit without the extras w/Laser cut balsa parts - $150
2nd Option - Kit without the extras w/Laser cut basswood parts - $150
3rd Option - Kit with all the extras listed below - Add $50

All the laser cut parts are still in the sealed bags directly from the wood cutter. I had to remove the vertical stabilizer because the upper piece was halfway apart so I applied some CA glue. It's perfectly fine now. You can't tell, but I included a close up photo.

This is your chance to own an awesome kit, that you no longer can get.

Prices do not include shipping - SOLD

PayPal welcomed

Just an FYI: The ROCKSIM file that's available for this kit is invalid and the dimension are completely off. I compared the wings, stabilizers and other pieces. Not just a little, but way off.

Special Note: If you decide to go with Option #2 you will need to adjust the CG and CP according. The kit was designed with balsa and the supplied ballast of 12oz.

Extras -

• (2) Madcow Nomex blankets 9x9 (Orange)
  • (1) Aeropack Retainer 29mm
  • (2) 225lb Quick Links
  • (2) 600lb Barrel Swivels

20170408_171342.jpg20170408_171434.jpg20170408_171417.jpg20170408_171352.jpg20170408_171439.jpg20170408_171421.jpg20170408_171400.jpg20170408_171445.jpg20170408_171429.jpg20170408_171410.jpg

One of the very, very few opportunities to get this rare kit-with upgrades! Totally worth it just for the wow factor.

Last edited:
One of the very, very few opportunities to get this rare kit-with upgrades! Totally worth it just for the wow factor.

frywrxz - Looks like I'll be keeping this bird...many views no wants .. Oh well...:) it's cool. I guess I'll build later down the road. I think I might keep it and do an upscale of it?

OK, I hope it's OK to ask this in this thread - I was on the fence on "PM or just reply", but I figure others may want to know:

Why the carpeted table? Is it so little pieces don't roll/slide around so much?

OK, I hope it's OK to ask this in this thread - I was on the fence on "PM or just reply", but I figure others may want to know:

Why the carpeted table? Is it so little pieces don't roll/slide around so much?

I had a friend of mine make the tables. He use to recover pool tables and we thought it would look cool to cover them. No particular reason. If you have a rocket with a nice paint job you can lay it down and it won't get scratched .... I set these up when I go out launching. As far as the little pieces that could be one reason as well.

I checked with Graves RC and not much luck. They weren't helpful with their description and didn't even include a size?

Hey Dan, best guess is 1/24. I'll get back to you later and pm you. Let me measure mine after dinner. If your gonna do that , probably best just to make one out of clay---it'll help with all the bloody nose weight! Did you send a bottle of Rogaine with the kit--he's gonna need it!

forget the pm . If my math is close--and I rounded-- It's about 1/16-1/17 mine is about 39 inches long and closer to scale.660/39=16.9

Back