What would be a good scale build that has not been done

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Estes SSO-E. It has a terrible reputation. I modded mine to stuff in an Eggtimer Quantum driving a servo that raises the booms to feathered mode. One flight, didn’t quite work, didn’t fail spectacularly. Needs dead calm and is fragile anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

If Peter Always is reading this, I have to ask: have you done scale dimensional drawing of Space Ship One? I've been so busy with Wilson F/X that I have been out of the loop for a bit.

So, if you have them published someplace, where can I find them?

If you haven't done them yet, why not? The need is there.

If you have done the drawings but haven't published them yet, when can we expect to see them? A NEW BOOK COMING OUT?

More that a bit curious.

Brad the "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

DARPA XS-1 Experimental Spaceplane, a.k.a. The Boeing Phantom Express:

phantom_express_gallery3_960.jpg

S-25 OFM? Man... You bring back DCS World memories there with good ol' SU-25 FrogFoot. ROFL.. Bunker Killers.

I got your email Dave, and the data pack especially for the SHEFEX-II was great I should be able to do a semi-scale based off it, I even have an idea of how to facet the nosecone. The SHEFEX-I should be pretty easy as well. Thank you.

Rich,

You're very welcome . . .

When you do your build, post lots of pics !

Dave F.

You got it.

This was a launch vehicle jointly developed by the Air Force and NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. This rocket used the reliable Thor ballistic missile as a first stage. This was topped by an improved second and third stage from the Vanguard launch vehicle (the “Delta” stages). The Thor name was later dropped. As the "Delta" it has served America for more than four decades. It was used to launch many of the most famous early Goddard missions, from the TIROS weather satellites to the SYNCOM and RELAY communications spacecraft. It also launched most of the famous Explorer family of basic research satellites. Delta’s latest model can lift well over 20 times the original payload of the version we display. The Delta-B displayed at the Visitor Center is a type of mechanical systems test unit. While not a flight vehicle, most of its hardware is real. In the early 1960s, it served as the centerpiece for the U.S. Pavilion at the New York World’s Fair. Weighing in at 114,170 pounds, the rocket was able to generate 175,000 pounds of thrust during its first stage, while generating 7,575 pounds per 170 seconds and 2,760 pounds per 42 seconds in its second and third stages, respectively.

You got it.

This was a launch vehicle jointly developed by the Air Force and NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. This rocket used the reliable Thor ballistic missile as a first stage. This was topped by an improved second and third stage from the Vanguard launch vehicle (the “Delta” stages). The Thor name was later dropped. As the "Delta" it has served America for more than four decades. It was used to launch many of the most famous early Goddard missions, from the TIROS weather satellites to the SYNCOM and RELAY communications spacecraft. It also launched most of the famous Explorer family of basic research satellites. Delta’s latest model can lift well over 20 times the original payload of the version we display. The Delta-B displayed at the Visitor Center is a type of mechanical systems test unit. While not a flight vehicle, most of its hardware is real. In the early 1960s, it served as the centerpiece for the U.S. Pavilion at the New York World’s Fair. Weighing in at 114,170 pounds, the rocket was able to generate 175,000 pounds of thrust during its first stage, while generating 7,575 pounds per 170 seconds and 2,760 pounds per 42 seconds in its second and third stages, respectively.

Well, one thing, for sure . . . With those tiny fins, clear fins are mandatory.

I haven't seen any of these, and they have a Minnie Magg look to them.
m39.gif
Its a MGM-140A ATACMS missle, I have heard that the short length combined with the boattail requires a bit effort to get stable, I have only read about one individual building a scale model of, though I am sure a few have.

Here's a great one. The rare variant of the U.S. Army's "Honest John." America's first nuclear missile, this unguided rocket had a range of about 10,000 yards. Commanders wanted to have more flexibility so engineers designed a spoiler, or air brake to reduce that range to just over 5,000 yards.

Called the "Demi John", a play on the original name--and a popular style of whiskey bottle of the time. Webster defined "Demijohn" as a bulbous narrow-necked bottle.

This rocket was test flown seven times without success. Eventually, the Army decided that development costs were too high--and battlefield commanders weren't sure that being 5,000 yards away from an A-bomb was such a hot idea.

This is the only surviving photo obtained from White Sands Missile Range Archives. The enlargements are my own.

To my knowledge, no one has modeled this rocket. If you decide to tackle it...post pix! The HoJo is the best rocket of all time--the only thing better would be to have a one of a kind version.

Attachments

• DEMI JOHN MISSILE 1 SM.png
    DEMI JOHN MISSILE 1 SM.png
    501.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DEMI JOHN MISSILE ENLARGEMENT 200 SM.png
    DEMI JOHN MISSILE ENLARGEMENT 200 SM.png
    458.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DEMI JOHN MISSILE ENLARGEMENT 300 SM.png
    DEMI JOHN MISSILE ENLARGEMENT 300 SM.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 70
Back