What would be a good scale build that has not been done

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one I have seen has had the guts (BALLS) to try even one of the ancient to early Twentieth century rockets that Peter Alway published in a supplement awhile back. Those would require scary tractor motors. . . YIKES! :y::shock::eyepop:

That science is way too old time to work. Can you trust anything prior to the (non-jerky) black and white movie days?

The thread is here on the forum. Gunpowder Rockets 1350-1916

But the Scots launch these for fun, standing right next to them on a crowed reenactment battlefield. But they also wear those kilts with nothing underneath!

Sprint ABM!Sprint accelerated at 100 g, reaching a speed of Mach 10 in 5 seconds. Such a high velocity at relatively low altitudes created skin temperatures up to 6200 °F (3400 °C), requiring an ablative shield to dissipate the heat.[1][2] The high temperature caused a plasma to form around the missile, requiring extremely powerful radio signals to reach it for guidance.View attachment 317279

Sprint ABM!Sprint accelerated at 100 g, reaching a speed of Mach 10 in 5 seconds. Such a high velocity at relatively low altitudes created skin temperatures up to 6200 °F (3400 °C), requiring an ablative shield to dissipate the heat.[1][2] The high temperature caused a plasma to form around the missile, requiring extremely powerful radio signals to reach it for guidance.View attachment 317279

That is awesome, never heard of it. A big one on an O25,000 seems appropriate.

I've built and flown several Sprints over the years. Being a cone it is fairly easy to make it stable without additional fins. Pretty draggy though, at our speeds! I still have one of the LPR versions in the shop. I'll try to get some pics...

I always thought a detailed model of the Talos would be cool. Stability would be a challenge with those big fins up front, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker.

Cool looking thing...

WMUS_Talos_RIM8_pic.jpg

It's not quite a cone.
Close, but the angles vary.

Not enough to matter on the launch pad though.

Always love reading about Pluto! that was an insanely crazy and stupid idea!

YES.
I love imagining a smoky room full of engineers trying to figure out how to test this thing and one of them actually saying "OK, now stick with me. We built this 50-foot eyebolt and attach a cable......"

Here's something super obscure from WW II. I'm pretty sure nobody has built one:

Roketto Dan 10.jpg

How about the new SR-72 (not to be confused with the Apogee Darkbird)

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a26796/hypersonic-sr-72-aircraft/

1496928783-lockheed-sr72-hypersonic-spy-plane.jpg

The launch would look silly since the Falcon doesn't launch with the legs deployed, but if it floated down in the same orientation that would be cool looking.

Not sure how to best deploy the legs when the parachute ejects then again the clear fins would ruin the look a little bit. I'd still love to see one.

Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/ApBOw

In short a sliding baffle that retains the spring loaded legs. Idea was the parachute would tug the baffle but in reality the ejection charge gives the necessary before.
Ideally the fins would be between the legs rather than through, but then I wouldn't be able to convert it to a Falcon Heavy properly.

Back