What would be a good scale build that has not been done

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool! Can you elaborate on the pseudo functional nose?

Ram jets have air coming in and going out, in our hobby this would be a major undertaking.

The ram jet cone was fashioned by python rocketry with a lip in the front of the cone.

There is enough space there with holes spaced around the nose to have the incoming air flow in and out of the side of the cone.

The holes will be drilled at a 60 degree angle so the incoming airflow should flow smoothly around the cone.

This will also make an awesome sound of the flight going up.

I'm planning on a build thread here on the BRAHMOS.

You can PM me for more info.

Now back to this thread.

Last edited:
How about the new SR-72 (not to be confused with the Apogee Darkbird)

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a26796/hypersonic-sr-72-aircraft/

1496928783-lockheed-sr72-hypersonic-spy-plane.jpg

That model prints up pretty nicely too...
SR-72.jpg

Sorry about the pic so dark.

Hello looking for imput . What would be something cool to do but not something everyone has done yet . Thinking in 3-4 inch so not sure what the scale would be yet .

Somewhat larger than 3-4"... a half-scale Pye Wacket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pye_Wacket

"Project "Pye Wacket", officially known as the Lenticular Defense Missile (LDM) Program and by the project number WS-740A, was instituted in 1958 in response to a US Air Force request for a Defensive Anti-Missile System (DAMS) to protect the proposed B-70 Valkyrie strategic bomber from high-speed, high-altitude surface-to-air missiles (SAMs) and interceptor aircraft. "

Full scale is 70" dia. or just under 6 feet. A half-scale would be just under 3 feet dia., and 4 1/2 inches thick.

I ran into this picture today, pretty much a frankenrocket:

Frankenrocket? Aww, come on, the Black Brant XII is beautiful. I saw a model of one fly Friday at Naram as a three-stager. It's a Talos-Taurus-Black Brant-Nikha. The Taurus is a late-model honest John with clipped Nike Ajax fins. The Nikha is finless and looks like just a black segment of the payload.

I believe this beast is still in use, though this picture shows the first flight with nice bright test colors.

Scale data is in one of the RotW supplements.

Peter Alway

Frankenrocket? Aww, come on, the Black Brant XII is beautiful. I saw a model of one fly Friday at Naram as a three-stager. It's a Talos-Taurus-Black Brant-Nikha. The Taurus is a late-model honest John with clipped Nike Ajax fins. The Nikha is finless and looks like just a black segment of the payload.
I meant that it looked like parts from different rockets put together, not that it was ugly (although that's not an unreasonable step). :)

What would be a good scale build that has not been done

this thread came to mind when watching dumbo cartoons last night with a 3 year old.

ive done seen everything when i see an elephant fly. :)[video=youtube;z69w2o6kFEs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z69w2o6kFEs[/video]

I ran into this picture today, pretty much a frankenrocket:
Black_Brant.jpg

Thanks dude. I'm dying for data and quality pics of the TERRIER booster. That Orange Tube thing. Yeah. I've got a Wildman Sandhawk to boost later. One cool thing about modeling these Nike and Terrier boosters right is it will apply to MANY sounding rockets. Personally I think the Black Brant is the most plagarized/market flooded rocket ever and that bores me. I'm gonna need some airframe tube data 75mm to link to a 54mm airframe likely. I can model smaller later probably if I don't get burnt out on it on vacation, I was doing CAD for college comps on rockets all year long so lol. Right now I've been burning Vacation time modeling Swedish Missiles no one else is even making for HPR. I tend to annoy crap out of rest of forum but maybe you guys will like me.

Andy Greene requested this SAAB 372: as TLP only offered an LPR kit. So it's been a little side project on vacation time. I'm hoping all you scale people and I can basically open source it as a Freeware HPR scratch build made easier. Not really certain where to post. HPR? Scratch? Scale? Well its all three. 54MM airframe with L-1/L-2 38mm MMT options. 3/32" Fiberglass fins, fin jigs, and common vendor airframe tubing/centering rings. Mainly the thread has been in Watering Hole. It went unanswered for months.

The transitions are pricey to print around $200 from a well established contractor in Nylon 12 through Xometry in an SLS 1/1000" tolerance process. I am thinking scratch builders could print for way less locally.
And right now I'm in it for the experience of learning as I've only modeled two university SEDS competition HPR multistages this year then flew both. So this is the first HPR kit I've designed off of pictures.

vnNVnYh.jpg

SAAB BAMSE.
b5F5dS4.jpg

This one also has 54mm Airframe and 38mm MMT.
Note it's not 100 percent scale, because if the fins were as aft as on the real thing, you'd lose all structural integrity of mounting the fins to the airframe transition aft section, and it's a flyer not a artwork piece.

The Shefex did use a standard booster so dimensions there are easy to get, its the sustainer/nose section thats iffy.

I have wanted to upscale the STC Rubicon (X-Prize attempt) ever since I built the Estes version with the pop-off fins.

G.D.

rubicon.JPG

Back